Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heigo Roll Bars and Cages - Quality and Fit

i was looking at one of these for my Cup
the cross braced rollbar with harness mount, speciffically.

Anyone have pictures of one installed?

How was the Fit - true bolt in? (i.e. no drilling)

My intened use is Auto-x and mabe DE at some point - i will be using a HANS device. and will have to have strap stays added to the cross bar.

They make these in Aluminium! too, not that that is very safe on the track. At least i don't know of any scantioning bodies that would approve that for a new car.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Heigo roll bar that it bolt on contruction, not only because it bolts in but also because pieces bolts together (with adjustability) so fitting it into the car is very easy.

Very easy to install and qiality piece IMO, I was able to install mine without taking the seats out (I have bucket seats with driver's seat bolted in it's place).

I recommend.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:26 PM
underpsi
Instructor

i had one too and fit and finish is great, however it is not approved or acceptable for PCA club race even in stock class.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by underpsi
i had one too and fit and finish is great, however it is not approved or acceptable for PCA club race even in stock class.
Just the aluminum version or any of them?
(I've heard the aluminum weasn't but the steel is ok).

I bought mine from PCA club racer and he used it in his car, can anyone clarify whether Heigo is ok or not? If not, why not since i.e. DAS is.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I don't know about the bar in question, but looking at the "base plates" and the means of mounting to stock seatbelt points in some of the pictures I've seen on Google, I can't imagine them possibly being legal for any series. I wouldn't dream of putting one of those in my car. Why go through the expense of a rollbar if you aren't going to do it properly?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

if you are racing it - i can see your point. In fact when i did race my car i have a fully welded CroMo custom cage in it.

But..... i am no longer racing it and do not wish to weld in another cage, since the car will a dual purpose road car, mostly used for fun runs and Auto-X possibly some DE however i probably am going to buy a dedicated SC for that, so i can have a fully welded cage.

Anyway, i would be interested in seeing any pictures of the Heigo Roll bars in current cars for those out there that have them. And knowing which part # you used.

thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 05:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, back when I was looking at these for my RSAmerica, a concern was that the wall thickness was below PCA minimums.

FWIW, the factory cage in my Euro Cup is below PCA minimums, but is 'grandfathered in' since it was an as delivered factory designed/installed part.....that's how it was explained to me.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 PM
underpsi
Instructor

Unfortunately I had the Heigo and all prep to race but they would not pass the bar during club race inspection. They don't like it how the bolt-on points don't have base plates which rest onto the chassis. So i had to go out and buy the DAS roll bar which was not an issue but still need to shim the base plate to the chassis to have good support/contact.

I bought mine from PCA club racer and he used it in his car, can anyone clarify whether Heigo is ok or not? If not, why not since i.e. DAS is.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by underpsi
Unfortunately I had the Heigo and all prep to race but they would not pass the bar during club race inspection. They don't like it how the bolt-on points don't have base plates which rest onto the chassis.
It's not even close to safe. Perhaps it's one of those "better than nothing" things, but it would be of VERY minimal impact on the car to use a proper rollbar with proper base plates sandwiching the chassis and 5-4 high grade bolts holding each baseplate sandwich together.

You need shear strength from the multiple bolts and sandwich baseplate design that you don't get from the Heigo setup.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

so given that - then a BK Harness Truss bar would serve the same purpose as the Heigo bar for locating the sholder straps of the harness.
of course it does not meet HANS requirments i have been told at least for the scroth harnesses
Old 03-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

FYI, The roll bar I have has about 4"x4" plates with four bolts bolted throught the door sills where the "main loop" comes down to the floor. Pipes going back, diagonally (there's 5 of them) however bolt to the back seat belt attachment points and have no plates that rest on the car.

No argument whether it's as safe as proper gage (it's obviously not) but I think it's better than nothing and adds to the safety. Not enough for a full blown race car but for a DE or autoX use I think it's additional safety.

One thing I don't understand why DAS is approved if Heigo is not.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

What about Safety Devices bolt in roll cages? Or Autopower?

Safety Devices is PCA legal, is Autopower also & how good are they (Safety, quality, fit)?

TIA.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Autopower also & how good are they (Safety, quality, fit)?
I would never use an off-the-shelf kit like the Autopower for a proper race car. Even for a track/DE car, I personally think the Autopower isn't of high enough quality (in other words, I'd spend a little more $$ and have a custom fabricated cage or rallbar installed). The end plates are too small, the welds look like crap, and the bars don't fit very snug due to the requirement of being able to be installed in any car with a full interior. Not to mention that the cages are built to absolute minimum required spec.

FWIW, BMW CCA Club Racing has outlawed bolt-in cages all together for any new cars entering the series. If you aren't running a car made of aluminum, there's no reason for running a bolt-in cage in a race car.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob,

I have a Heigo aluminum rollover bar AND B-K harness bar combination in my 911. It almost looks like they were made to work together as a single unit. No comment on relative safety of this set-up as I really just don't know. I don't track the car any longer and would never race without a full, welded-in cage.

I will try to take some pix for you this week/weekend. I don't know if I can post the pix here but I can probably email them to you.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

thank - you can send them to rob@lynchracing.com

Quick Reply: Heigo Roll Bars and Cages - Quality and Fit