Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laurel DE Insurance - changed policy - Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitch236
Look like these two? You can just see Shuster in his new red 996 C-2 back there!

There was a black 997 GT3 going around the track as well.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been following this issue closely myself. Based on all that I have seen, very few...if anyone can count on any of the majors covering DE activity. Policy renewals have cleaned up the language to the point where they say essentially "if it happens on a permanent or temporary race track or in preparation for a track/race event, you are not covered...period". The last of the majors to have coverage that demonstrated payouts was State Farm...their renewals are now excluding it. Some are still covered under their existing policies and each state is slightly different.

My theory is that cars are getting more powerful and faster and DE's are becoming more popular so the industry are seeing an increase in claims (as Laurel is) to the point that they need to explicitly exclude this activity (probably was only a blip on the radar screen in the past).

Anything less than a positive declaration in writing by your insurance company that you are covered for the activity is highly risky.

In the very fortunate circumstance that you can get an accident covered because of existing policy language, you will most certainly be dropped by your carrier...and then you HAVE to report that you were denied coverage by a previous carrier when you apply to the next one...which will hit your pocketbook in a BIG way.

It sucks...but I cannot find a sure fire way to do this. The only hope is that it becomes sooo popular that some amount of competition for the business happens.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dave morris
Hi Mitch,
I think this might be a bit of an exaggeration ... at least it is based on my experience. I know it has happened ... but I can't recall ever seeing a 100k car wadded up at any DE I have ever attended. Don't mean to be a nit-picker, but I just don't think it's common at all.
Maybe not that common, but I saw it happen right in front of me last year, and I caught it on video.

Video here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23555195952027

(It's a long warm-up lap at PIR, with a slight smoky blurry heap near the end as I pass the Viper that's schmucked into the wall along the front straight).
Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Spoke to my State Farm Agent a few weeks ago on this topic. Kind of a long round about conversation but the bottom line was he made a few phone calls to adjusters on my behalf. He couldn't guarantee me coverage, but said I'd probably be covered if push came to shove. He said if someone else was driving my car and wrecked it on the track, forget about any coverage.
Insurance follows the car. I had a friend damage my car while at a DE and my insurance paid. His insurance wouldn't because I had coverage.

Besides you want something in writing from State Farm, not something verbal from your agent. What does the policy say? That means more to me than what the agent would claim.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asking your insurer for a written statement of coverage for DE may well get you "non-renewed". I asked USAA for clarification 3 years ago and that was their response. Only the 968 so its OK to DE in the Titan or the 300

Y'all be careful now.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
TR6
Drifting

Last night, I read through my entire street insurance policy to see if I could find any wording that excluded track events or anything of the sort. I couldn't find anything. It doesn't even mention racing events, which I thought odd. So, if it doesn't specifically exclude DE's or driving on private tracks, etc, I guess I'm technically covered if something happened (although as others pointed out, a claim would probably lead to an increase in premiums or even cancellation of coverage).

However, I did discover that my car isn't covered if its damaged in the process of me selling illegal drugs. Guess I have to give up the side business.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Greg, that is odd. What carrier do you have? I'll PM you a fax number or e-mail address if you want another read.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by TR6
Last night, I read through my entire street insurance policy to see if I could find any wording that excluded track events or anything of the sort. I couldn't find anything. It doesn't even mention racing events, which I thought odd. So, if it doesn't specifically exclude DE's or driving on private tracks, etc, I guess I'm technically covered if something happened (although as others pointed out, a claim would probably lead to an increase in premiums or even cancellation of coverage).

However, I did discover that my car isn't covered if its damaged in the process of me selling illegal drugs. Guess I have to give up the side business.
Wow... that is unusual!! They don't even have the word "Race" in there?? When was your policy last renewed?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by DaveM993
When was your policy last renewed?
November 2006
Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Janni
Intermediate

I don't have any "race" or "Track" exclusions in my policy either - renewed 07/01/07 for a year. Street cars no longer go on track since we bought the race car - so it's a non-issue, but like the poster above - I will not be covered in the commission of a felony, but other than that it would appear that I am good to go.

Fireman's Fund Insurance.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:47 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Remember, policies vary from state to state; in our very one-off Massacusetts, the language of the exclusion is:
'We will not pay if any accident occurs while an auto covered under this Part is being operated in any prearranged or organized racing, speed, stunting or demolition contest or activity or in practise or preparation for any such contest or activity.'
A few years back they added the '...or speed...' language which insurers choose to interpret as precluding coverage for DE events.
When it was just the racing language we were fine for DEs, but the 'speed' addition seems to preclude DE coverage.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:57 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Remember, policies vary from state to state; in our very one-off Massacusetts, the language of the exclusion is:
'We will not pay if any accident occurs while an auto covered under this Part is being operated in any prearranged or organized racing, speed, stunting or demolition contest or activity or in practise or preparation for any such contest or activity.'
A few years back they added the '...or speed...' language which insurers choose to interpret as precluding coverage for DE events.
When it was just the racing language we were fine for DEs, but the 'speed' addition seems to preclude DE coverage.
I wouldn't interpret the above wording to exclude DE coverage. They are talking about a speed contest and DE is not a "contest" of any kind.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

But it does say "contest OR activity". Isn't DE a "speeding activity"?

- Ahsai
Old 02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
But it does say "contest OR activity". Isn't DE a "speeding activity"?

- Ahsai
A good lawyer could argue that DE is exactly that, Driver's education. There are many driver's education events held at the track. You can often see the Audi school working at the skid pad teaching young drivers how to handle slides and skids. One could argue that DE is an extension of that. There are no speed limits on the skid pad, nor on the track. DE is not preparation for racing as one would go to a racing school for that. The real issue is whether you would have any luck getting coverage after you forced the insurance company to pay out. And the cost of having an attorney fight your case.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TR6

Greg, we are extremely lucky in Texas. The state mandates a standard insurance policy for everyone from what I understand. So, the policy is nearly identical between carriers.

G.

Quick Reply: Laurel DE Insurance - changed policy - Anyone else?