Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laurel DE Insurance - changed policy - Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Spoke to my State Farm Agent a few weeks ago on this topic. Kind of a long round about conversation but the bottom line was he made a few phone calls to adjusters on my behalf. He couldn't guarantee me coverage, but said I'd probably be covered if push came to shove. He said if someone else was driving my car and wrecked it on the track, forget about any coverage.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Mitch,

Your new car is a beauty! I was pretty busy at Sebring and didn't get a chance to see much apart from what I was doing ... but I did notice two beautiful 997 GT3s coming off the track together more than once ... one red and one white. Beautiful cars!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Hi Mitch,
I think this might be a bit of an exaggeration ... at least it is based on my experience. I know it has happened ... but I can't recall ever seeing a 100k car wadded up at any DE I have ever attended. Don't mean to be a nit-picker, but I just don't think it's common at all.
I think the point is that it's no longer trivial. Just off the top of my head, all relatively new cars: GT3, 997, 993, Boxter(s) - several. Stuff at least that folks can't, or won't, and haven't just walked away from, so perhaps at least the ratio of claims to incidents has climbed.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I am pleased with Laurel. Had nothing but good experiences with them as have many of my racer friends, both Pro and amateur.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

What's the deductible for that period- $5K? That's what it was when I inquired a couple months ago.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:11 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Look like these two? You can just see Shuster in his new red 996 C-2 back there!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:15 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I too have good experience with Laurel, although happily have never had a claim. I have friends that have, though, and they are pleased with the way the claim was handled.
I have talked with Dave Empringham a number of times and am impressed with his dedication to this business; I have (professionally) a good understanding of the insurance business, and while I would prefer that the policy be provided by a household name insurer, its not likely to happen (market is too small for mainline insurers to pursue it). Dell's point is valid, but this is the insurer we have. There is no other DE insurer, and mainline auto insurers willing to cover DE claims are cutting back the coverage fast.
Keep in mind that Laurel has a substantial business with the racer community and would be unlikely to intentionally foul its own nest.
Keep in mind, too, that this is not liability insurance where it can be years between the time you pay your premium and the time you have a claim, making the risk of an insurance company failing to pay much less.
At the end of the day, this is an individual decision, but I don't buy the idea that insurance premium is wasted if spent on a company like Laurel.
Just my opinion, not offered as professional advice. I hope it is helpful.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Dell's point is valid, but this is the insurer we have. There is no other DE insurer, and mainline auto insurers willing to cover DE claims are cutting back the coverage fast.
Thanks Rick. I hope that my comments didn't come out (to others) as a slam against Laurel. What I jsut wanted to highlight is the fact that they do NOT have to pay a claim if they don't want since they are not bound by US law. Also, not saying they are going to bail. But, as I said, I fear the day they get a flood of claims that outweighs their bank account. Not a risk I am going to take. Just like the track. I know where the trouble spots are and I am very careful to back off there. Sure I love the DE events, and yes I like to work on my skill, by no means do I try to set a circuit record and thereby maximize my risk of no collision.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:22 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dell has the best insurance of all - don't push for that last second on the track (or in my case, the last few seconds).
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Or in my case, the last 15 seconds
Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think it is 15% of the insured value; in my case that is $6k on my $40k .
This deductible is part of the problem for the really expensive cars, as $15k on a $100k car looks high to the insured (and it is, but I get the reason).
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the worst Insurance of all, go in faster than You can and then deal with it...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone give me the contact info for Laurel (or other DE/track insurance companies)? -thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 05:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.laurelde.com/
Old 02-21-2007, 05:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Can someone give me the contact info for Laurel (or other DE/track insurance companies)? -thanks
http://www.laurelde.com/

Quick Reply: Laurel DE Insurance - changed policy - Anyone else?