Sponsored by:

Millville, NJ Track Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:20 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AC coupe
The "road course" at Englishtown is possibly, and I stress possibly, only suited to Karts..... the silly thing is that they don't even run karts on there, they use the parking lot.....go figure.
We race karts at ETown and there has been talk of using the road course, but it is not all that suited for karts either: not tight enough for sprint karts, and too dangerous for road racers (same problem as cars: no runoff and too many points where oncoming cars are too close...)
I have heard all the same things about "no cars will ever race here" but I concur that the updates on the website are new and recent...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:45 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
Englishtown "road course" will never have full size car events on it, its been deemed too dangerous for any events where more than one car is out at a time. Its a shame too, they kind of built it without planning, could have been a hit if they went through with it "legally."
Also the track is right between the 3 motocross tracks that kick up a constant dust storm; this will keep the road course covered with dust.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently heard that a consultant was hired to correct the road course and that Englishtown is serious about creating a safe, usable, (for cars), track. I guess we'll just wait and see.

The Thunderbolt track WILL be built. Maybe we can get to drive on it before the end of 2008 (although '09 may be a more reasonable expectation).

I'd like to visit Calabogie sometime this summer.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Great news on Thunderbolt Raceway!

The track at RP is way to small as noted by ohers. My son races go-karts and rides MX at adjoining courses and it's impossible to drive a car at any decent speed on the current track. There is minmal space around the track making expansion impossible. They do use it as a parking lot for spillover at the big events.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:12 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like the ground breaking is imminent.

MILLVILLE -- Gov. Jon S. Corzine gave the New Jersey Motorsports Park project an added plug Friday. Corzine held a special signing ceremony at the Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center for legislation creating the state's first sports entertainment district.

Construction could commence within two months, according to officials.

"It's something that is about economic development," Corzine said. "It's about community development. It's about giving hope and opportunity in the days and years ahead, and I'm proud to sign the bill."

Corzine, who first backed the project as a U.S. senator, said the park should benefit the state as a whole.

"It's going to be a true thunderbolt for the East Coast," he said, a play on words based on the park's Thunderbolt Raceway.

The governor, who arrived in a white limousine, brought state General Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts with him.

Corzine actually had signed the same bill in his office three weeks ago. Sponsors and supporters pushed for a more public display, though.

The entertainment district is to provide sales tax revenue to cover some of the construction and engineering costs of the $100 million motor sports-themed facility.

That is a key financial component for the park, whose backers hope to break ground in 30 to 60 days.

The park is to be built on about 706 acres at and near the municipal airport in three phases. The project has unanimous support from city government, Cumberland County officials and area legislators.

Lee Brahin, one of three principal investors, sat in on the signing, but did not speak.

Earlier Friday, Brahin said the Federal Aviation Administration still must sign off on using airport land for the park. That is expected shortly.

"There is a small amount of environmental work that will be done through Brownfields funding on Phase I," Brahin said. "That encompasses maybe 6 acres."

Developers are trying to coordinate that with Millville and the state Department of Environmental Protection.

"Ideally, we'd like to close on the property and have those efforts take place in the course of construction," he said. "Nothing in the first phase seems to be major or expensive."

Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew, D-1, was a prime sponsor of the bill.

"We have a governor who knows what the bottom line is," Van Drew said. "And the bottom line is economic development."

Corzine said lobbying has been constant, and even annoying.

"I should also mention Freeholder Director Doug Rainear and the irrepressible Lou Magazzu, who is on my case about as much as Don Fauerbach."

Basically, the law allows a 2 percent per item sales tax to be levied on top of the regular state sales tax.

The district falls within part of Millville's Urban Enterprise Zone. Inside the zone, most goods and services are subject to a sales tax half the normal rate of 7 percent.

In the district, goods and services will have a sales tax of either 5.5 percent (3.5 percent plus the 2 percent) or 9 percent (7 percent plus 2 percent).

The money that 2 percent raises goes into an account with the state to be used to defer construction costs.

"The most important part of this is to understand it's only at the airport," Van Drew said earlier in the week. "The people of Millville are not going to feel this."

The law actually is only a guideline.

City officials and developers are headed into talks with the state treasurer to work out a detailed spending plan. Some of the ideas date to the McGreevey administration.

The tax money can not be used to pay salaries, benefits or anything not connected with construction.

"We've given Millville a huge competitive edge," Van Drew said. "It's now up to them to use the competitive edge."

```````````````````````````````````````

New Jersey Motorsports Park Q&A

Q: When might hiring begin? How many jobs will be created?

A: Substantial hiring is connected to the start of construction.

As far as jobs at the park itself, hiring would start late this year in anticipation of an April 2008 opening.

About 200 full-time and part-time positions are expected at the park, with about 40 percent full time. Salary ranges have not been researched.

Q: When will the tax district show revenue?

A: Sales taxes will be generated as soon as the park opens. The money goes right to the state for dispersal.

Q: How many races will be held?

A: The park is looking for activity, of some kind, all week.

Racing is expected every weekend. In fact, weekend booking inquiries already exceed the number of available weekends.

Forty weeks per year of intense operations are anticipated, with much lighter activity in winter.

Q: When will races begin?

A: April 2008 is the projected opening date.

Q: What is the geographical extent of the Sports Entertainment District?

A: A map doesn't exist, but essentially it is the New Jersey Motorsports Park property, including and abutting Millville Municipal Airport property.

Q: For what specifically will tax money be used?

A: It will defray infrastructure costs, including utilities, earth movement, track surfaces and guard rails. It also will defray engineering services and construction debt.

Phase I has about $25 million of infrastructure costs.

Q: Will the governor come for the first race?

A: "We'd certainly like to invite the governor to announce, 'Gentlemen, start your engines,'" developer Lee Brahin said. "It's really based on his schedule."

Q: When do payments in lieu of taxes begin coming to the city?

A: The city can collect PILOT revenue when a certificate of occupancy is issued for the park. Payments are quarterly. The park will not be subject to regular property taxes for a period.

Q: What should we expect to see happen in the first round of building?

A: The Thunderbolt Raceway, a karting track and all ancillary buildings, including a clubhouse, concession areas, garages and VIP suites.

There will be some overlap among building phases. For example, trackside villas are part of Phase II, but construction will start in Phase I due to demand.

Q: What is the value of the project?

A: The overall project value will be in excess of $100 million. The first phase will be at least $40 million.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! This place will be a jewel.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 AM
95m3racer
Pro

So as usual with any project like this, its been pushed back, delayed, and has had the standard issues NJ makes for anything lol

Whats the current status of the project? Has anything been confirmed in regards to contracts and land usage?

I do not believe any ground has been broken yet, so whats left for them to do before that happens?

Looking forward to this happening soon, but I have a gut feeling it's not going to be operational, even semi operational (their "Phase 1") until Spring 2009.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

There is some unofficial update HERE.

The web site for the project is very much out of date. I think ground has been broken, but I have not seen it with my own eyes.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 PM
95m3racer
Pro

I think for the pro events it would have been better to have the huge track, but 2.2 miles is still decent.

Thanks for the link!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Construction has begun!

There’s a storm on the horizon
and the storm that will soon be blowing into Millville, New Jersey is known as
New Jersey Motorsports Park
featuring . . .

Thunderbolt Raceway

Estimated time of arrival, June 2008.

The Green Flag has dropped and construction is now underway and in full force for the First Phase of New Jersey Motorsports Park.

Situated on over 500 acres at the intersection of Buckshutem Road and Dividing Creek Road over four (4) miles of road courses are being carved into the landscape.

The First Phase of New Jersey Motorsports Park is overwhelming. Featuring two (2) separate world class road courses, a first class karting circuit, vast amenities and a clubhouse to unwind at the end of the day.

The Southern Road Circuit at New Jersey Motorsports Park will be our signature Thunderbolt Raceway featuring over 2.25 miles of asphalt, 14 challenging turns, a one half mile straightway and approximately 40 acres of full service paddock space.

Amenities on this circuit will include concession buildings, event garages, twenty (20) VIP Suites, banquet rooms, a covered false grid, and a three (3) story timing tower with media center and VIP facilities.

The 1.9 mile Northern Circuit will be known as Lighting, this 10 corner circuit will be fast and challenging featuring some of the most interesting and dramatic corners and elevation changes in the park. The 20 acre paddock area will have a 4 acre skid pad and autocross area, as well as concession areas, timing towers and school and drivers meeting room facilities.

Connected to the Lighting will be our 1.1 mile world class karting facility. The karting facility features eight dramatic configurations many of which can be run simultaneously. All eight configurations are designed to be run either clockwise or counter clockwise and just when you feel you’ve mastered the circuit, it’s time to point you in a new direction to learn all over again.

The New Jersey Motorsports Park will also feature our members only Driver’s Club and our spacious and well appointed clubhouse facilities. Play on our tennis courts, take a dip in the pool or cozy up to the bar after dinner, all after a challenging day at the Motorsports Park.

New Jersey Motorsports Park is driving excitement closer. Whether you’re an enthusiast or corporation seeking alternative corporate hospitality and team building venues, the New Jersey Motorsports Park has exciting activities for everyone.

Sound like fun? For Driver’s Club membership and scheduling motorsports events contact Joe Volpe at 609-319-2672 or email: jvolpe@njmotorsportspark.com
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 PM
95m3racer
Pro

i just wish it would be completed sooner than 2015...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MMP here in Utah took less than 9 months to complete - total cost was $80M+ for the 4.5 mile 23 turn track... And it rocks....

Congrats to all of you in Jersey. It sounds awesome!

Road trip!
-B
Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Miller looks great, but its still a glorified go kart track compared to what the proposed Thunderbolt Raceway is.

Now, if when 2015 comes around will there actually be everything they original proposed, who knows.

The budget already grew 50% from its original amount, and it'll definitely change over time, because in the next 7 years the 150M won't be worth as much, and it'll have to be increased to cover everything.

However, with 3-4 hotels, 2-3 restaurants, well over 1000 jobs created, tens if not hundreds of businesses located inside the facility, let alone within a 25-50mile radius, it's going to be a pretty big venture for NJ and the surrounding area.

It should be a great location for big races to be held, ALMS, Grand Am, etc.

Quick Reply: Millville, NJ Track Update