Sponsored by:

Racing Sim for Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someday we'll do LS together Jack. ( I doubt I'll be able to make the date coming in a couple weeks.) You just need to be there when I finally decide to drive all the way to Willow Springs.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a PlayStation2 you can try GT4.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
T2 at LS is my favorite turn. A double apex line with a big throttle lift to rotate the car is the best way to generate a big grin I've found. We teach that line to advanced students (leaving the traditional line to the beginners).
I trail brake to the first apex and most of my rotation seems to come between the double apex. I am fine here provided I am real wide on turn in. I just feel awkard between turn 1 and 2 while setting up for 2.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:31 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Nice laps at laguna! However, we are going to tape your hands to the wheel Jack!! There is at least 1 second right there. Thunderhill is more forgiving, as your 2:01 would be more like a 1:41 at laguna. Laguna requires on the edge driving at every turn.

Love the car, its beautiful!!

Did you just go to laguna recently? I heard they repaved it, yet again.
were the birms as harsh as they are on my video from the last race of the SCCA season, last Nov? the track i thought was grippy, and not as bumpy as the Grand Am guys were saying, but they are going so much faster in the Rolex groups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRG6Y791iBE

mk

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Some of the guys I talked to complained about the shift under the bridge, and also about the left side landing zone of the corkscrew where they said there were bumps that were hard to recover from when their suspensions were already compressed. I didn't notice either of those, honestly, but I was shooting for the center of the bridge. I just don't have enough horsepower to need to sweat too much about the line between 11 and 2.

I hadn't been there in four years, so I treated 2 as a throwaway, pretty much. I'm sure I could finesse it better, and double-apexing it would probably be worth trying (although my car is heavy). I also definitely wasn't getting as much as I could out of 5, 6 or 9. My best lap time was a 1:42.35, and my data logger said I could do a 1:40.8 just with the good segments I ran in that same session -- so I still had a lot of progress to make.

I think I could be sub-1:40 with another couple of days to fine tune things and build up my comfort level. A ridealong with someone who knows the track better than me would also help.

Last edited by mark kibort; 02-20-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks, Mark. I was there Monday and Tuesday of last week. I understand they're about to pave it again, believe it or not.

It might be that my suspension is too compliant to notice the bumpiness. I liked the surface and I liked the berms, although I miss the old braking zone for the corkscrew and I suppose I also miss being able to see the really big black mark on the wall out of 9 where I totaled my car in 2003. They've moved the wall and covered my mark with tires.

I was instructing and giving a lot of rides, so I wasn't able to focus as much on re-learning the track as I would have liked. I was also was on Toyo RA1s that hadn't been shaved and were on their first event -- so I knew my lap times wouldn't be spectacular no matter what.

Them's my excuses, and I'm stickin' to 'em. Next time, I hope to be sub-1:40. (Although who knows what the next paving job will be like?)

I'm also gunning for a sub-2:00 lap at Thunderhill in April. Any tips?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 AM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

i thought that GT4 did a pretty good job at laguna...

but they screwed up a couple turns at infinion... they made me crash on the first lap i was ever there.. !!!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

funny, you and i have one thing in common. the dubious honor of a post corkscrew screw up! mine was 2002, and not too many race laguna more than i do, and i think about how i screwed up on turn 10 almost every lap!

I too liked the brake zone before the big change last year, but its nice having all that more room and a straighter shot to entrance of the corkscrew. the pavement was better, but they have played with the birms several times . i see they still have the extra birm to help stop the offroading corner cutting! now my evo friend has to keep the 4x4 on the track. (otherwise you loose a rim and probably the tire too!)

I think the only thing you need to do is grab that wheel at 2-10, and really work every single corner. the track is about 1 second faster for us 1:39+ guys for some reason vs the track config earlier last year. speed GT and the faster crowd seem to run 2 seconds faster now!

as far as thunderhill. there is a lot of time made up running really deep and trail braking into turn 2 . your video shows the bypass, which we never run anymore. so the only other place to make up time is turn 8, where there happens to be a lot more run off now. think road america kink, without a wall!

whats that 993 motor have as far as hp? seems like it runs really strong!
i know my brothers stock DE 911 3.2 puts down 210rwhp, i have to imagine that that your motor is better prepared and should be stronger. If you dont have near 260-280rwhp, you are still driving the wheels off it. whats the weight again?even though i race one of those front engine porsches, I still like the looks of the widened older 911 racers with fat tires. very cool!

MK

Thanks, Mark. I was there Monday and Tuesday of last week. I understand they're about to pave it again, believe it or not.

It might be that my suspension is too compliant to notice the bumpiness. I liked the surface and I liked the berms, although I miss the old braking zone for the corkscrew and I suppose I also miss being able to see the really big black mark on the wall out of 9 where I totaled my car in 2003. They've moved the wall and covered my mark with tires.

I was instructing and giving a lot of rides, so I wasn't able to focus as much on re-learning the track as I would have liked. I was also was on Toyo RA1s that hadn't been shaved and were on their first event -- so I knew my lap times wouldn't be spectacular no matter what.

Them's my excuses, and I'm stickin' to 'em. Next time, I hope to be sub-1:40. (Although who knows what the next paving job will be like?)

I'm also gunning for a sub-2:00 lap at Thunderhill in April. Any tips?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:28 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I had a student once who had been taught a really deep line into 2 at Thunderhill where he came in basically very late and to the inside, rather than the traditional right side and earlier entrance. He'd been taught the line by a racer, and I assumed the guy had just taught him a defensive line into 2. But maybe it's worth playing with a little -- to go in a lot deeper and then rotate the car like it's less of a sweeper and more of a harder turn that leads to a sweeper.

I won't go below 2:00 without the bypass, though. I'd be shooting for a 2:01 or 2:02 with the cyclone.

In any case, thanks a lot. (And my apologies to the original poster for the thread hijacking.) It sounds like I'm doing all right, laptime-wise. But you're right: it's a track that rewards technical skill and consistency and I'm still leaving a lot of time out there.

My car is 2515 pounds with gas -- over 2700 with the driver. It's got a 964 motor, not a 993. It's never been modified or opened, although I've got B&B headers on it, which helps its stock 247 crank hp a little -- it dyno'd at 228 hp at the wheels, although I suspect that was an optimistic dyno. It sounds good because it's got a Camaro Flowmaster muffler and short gears.

And I agree: nothing looks quite as sweet as a widebody 911. I stopped at the James Dean Memorial on the drive up on Sunday, and snapped this picture at the cafe, there:

Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

jack, you were doing great considering your 4 year absence. i was the exige behind you when you twitched sideways at T2 ;-)

the lap i waved you by i was doing 1:46 ish. with your car on a good day, you should be at 1:40 so so. i got to 143 at some point in the exige, full tread RA1, otherwise stock.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:52 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Mooty, congrats on the 1:43. That's awesome.

And thanks again for not collecting me when I decided to start driving sideways through 2.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is a 2:01.xx in traffic using the cyclone. (like a 1:59 or so without it)

This was the free practice day SCCA held at the end of dec. thats mike Cortney in the SSF BMW. we had fun dicing around as i was out there to finally fix my big push by finally adding a real splitter and removing some cup car wing angle!

Going deep and narrow into turn 2 saves quite a bit of time.
Turn 8 is a big deal too, but you dont want to bite off too much!

I think you should run with us in ITE. Its a great crowd and you would fit right in. But then you would steal or share the honors of racing one of the only street licenced cars out there.

Mk

I had a student once who had been taught a really deep line into 2 at Thunderhill where he came in basically very late and to the inside, rather than the traditional right side and earlier entrance. He'd been taught the line by a racer, and I assumed the guy had just taught him a defensive line into 2. But maybe it's worth playing with a little -- to go in a lot deeper and then rotate the car like it's less of a sweeper and more of a harder turn that leads to a sweeper.

I won't go below 2:00 without the bypass, though. I'd be shooting for a 2:01 or 2:02 with the cyclone.

In any case, thanks a lot. (And my apologies to the original poster for the thread hijacking.) It sounds like I'm doing all right, laptime-wise. But you're right: it's a track that rewards technical skill and consistency and I'm still leaving a lot of time out there.

My car is 2515 pounds with gas -- over 2700 with the driver. It's got a 964 motor, not a 993. It's never been modified or opened, although I've got B&B headers on it, which helps its stock 247 crank hp a little -- it dyno'd at 228 hp at the wheels, although I suspect that was an optimistic dyno. It sounds good because it's got a Camaro Flowmaster muffler and short gears.

And I agree: nothing looks quite as sweet as a widebody 911. I stopped at the James Dean Memorial on the drive up on Sunday, and snapped this picture at the cafe, there:

Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Cannock
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will take a look at the video and use that as well as a learning tool.

Quick Reply: Racing Sim for Laguna Seca