Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temporary paint on rock chip protector

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim Bell, I live close by. Don't instruct/work. All I ever do there is DE, nothing else. Not affiliated to CMP. Only reason "From: CMP" is because it is easier to recognize it than Lancaster.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:36 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arthur:

You are correct. My wife goes in a store called AC Moore (craft store) all the time and once when in there I saw some clear shelf paper looking stuff around the airbrush supplies. I bought some and have tried it. It does work well. And stick relatively well at high speed.

Brian
Old 03-11-2003, 09:16 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Arthur:
<strong>Jim Bell, I live close by. Don't instruct/work. All I ever do there is DE, nothing else. Not affiliated to CMP. Only reason "From: CMP" is because it is easier to recognize it than Lancaster.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">WHAT! You mean nobody knows where Camden, Kershaw or Lancaster is?

I used to live in Wedington/Matthews, NC and would cut over to 521 and go through Lancaster and the thriving metropolis of Kershaw all the time to go to CMP.

Jim
Old 03-11-2003, 11:33 PM
Arthur
Pro

Okay, Here is my official vote on GROCO's liquid latex: NOT! Had to pressure wash, and then rub off with tar/gum/bug sap remover. That means all my wax is gone, and now I'll have to glaze and wax. Again. Next products to try are that drawer liner, or, I hope this works, clear vinyl from Walmart cut out in sections, OR, Saran wrap.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:45 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe I'll just stick w/ my blue tape. Might try the drawer liner, since the blue tape has to be put down in shingle fashion to keep from coming up.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How does any of this stuff differ from removeable Booth Seal, found at auto paint supply stores? Thinnish latex in a gallon jug that feels like it could roll on pretty thick, then hose off?

Stuff I saw was latex, not water based, but similar to this:
Sort of like what I saw
Old 12-03-2003, 08:43 PM
Arthur
Pro

JPS, since you pulled this thread back out , let me update you on the same GROCO can that I am still using that is now 1 year old. It is slightly "tackier" now, and dries quicker, probably because the water content is less. Used it last month, rolled 3 layers thick. 2nd and 3rd coats put in only after the preceding coat dried to a clear haze. After the event was over, it peeled off like sunburnt skin. No sweat. I'll bet the stuff from 3M is just like the product I described. Maybe better even. One downside is, a particle slightly bigger than a grain of sand might have enough mass to dig itself past the 3 layers and nick the paint. It did mine. Who knows, I might put 5 layers just on the part of the fascia that is perpendicular to the car's forward motion.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Speedy993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys...... Just a thought?

Home Depot sells a product in 24" rolls that is a adhesive backed carpet protection material, you see it used by auto dealers and new home builders to protect the home or cars interior carpeting from getting soiled. this stuff resembles the 3M clear OEM stone guards used on many of our cars, it may nor be as thick as the 3M but is quite resilient and it's easy to remove in sheets. As I said "just a Thought" I have never tried it but it might just work.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:40 AM
DERSIX
Advanced

I have some material that is not a latex but is a water soluble polymer so that it comes off with a hose. The latex material is a dispersion in water so when it "drys" it becomes water insoluble and is hard to remove. The same principle is used for latex house paints. This material is always water soluble and is very easy to remove. It protects against the fine , sand blasting ..not the big stuff..
Pete
Old 12-08-2003, 11:38 AM
DERSIX
Advanced

David,
I have material which protects against the "sand" blast type material and is very easily removed..actually with hose and water. The material unlike the "peel"off type is a water soluble polymer which dries clear but remains water soluble thus can be easily removed with water. The "peel" off type are latex material which when they dry are basically water insoluble..same chemistry is used with house paints..
Pete
Old 12-08-2003, 01:37 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Speedy993TT
Guys...... Just a thought?

Home Depot sells a product in 24" rolls that is a adhesive backed carpet protection material, you see it used by auto dealers and new home builders to protect the home or cars interior carpeting from getting soiled. this stuff resembles the 3M clear OEM stone guards used on many of our cars, it may nor be as thick as the 3M but is quite resilient and it's easy to remove in sheets. As I said "just a Thought" I have never tried it but it might just work.
A bunch of us track junkies have been using this "carpet tape" all year with good results. It even "stays on" at Road Atlanta where speeds approach 150 mph. Comes off very easy, without tearing to shreads, with a mininium of effort to remove!

Call around, NOT ALL Home Depot stores carry it! It is called "clear carpet tape"... comes in 27 inch width by 15/30/50 lyd. rolls!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Arthur
Pro

Trump,
Have you ever put the roll over the entire hood? Reason why I ask is one time I bought regular clear vinyl and applied it to the entire hood, in a static cling sort of way; disastrous outcome as the car picked up speed, the area from the midhood to the windshield ballooned out, looked ridiculous on the track. Maybe with the adhesive this stuff you described will stick.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:37 AM
DERSIX
Advanced

David,
The material I use is a water soluble polymer that dries clear but washes off very easily with water. It will protect against the sand debris not the large rocks. The other water based material is a latex which when dries forms a water insoluble film and is hard to remove. This same chemistry is used in house paints..
Pete
Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Arthur
Trump,
Have you ever put the roll over the entire hood? Reason why I ask is one time I bought regular clear vinyl and applied it to the entire hood, in a static cling sort of way; disastrous outcome as the car picked up speed, the area from the midhood to the windshield ballooned out, looked ridiculous on the track. Maybe with the adhesive this stuff you described will stick.
Some of the guys do cover the entire hood, and this stuff stays put. You really only need to cover the front portion (to just above the headlights) on the Vettes, maybe Porsche's need more coverage.

I use a front bra & the clear carpet tape. I tape the wheel wells too.

The carpet tape sticks... we've used it at both Road Atlanta & VIR with good results!

Quick Reply: temporary paint on rock chip protector