Dot R, when to replace them

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Cannock
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dot R, when to replace them

I have a set of Yokohama Advan A048 Dot R compound tires I use for DE. The rears are down to no tread but I have heard that you can keep running these tires once the treads are gone. Anyone have any experience with how much wear is left once the tread is gone?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 04:23 AM
dsmith
Racer

I run R's until I can actually feel that I'm going slower, like on the first lap with cold tires. That or when I have an OH S&%T moment where it should have stuck. Both are usually real close to the cords. Please note that I'm cheap and don't race to win...
David
Old 02-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

RA1's are fastest in the instant just before they cord. I don't have experience with the Yokos, but I am told that they can also be run to the cords.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having experience mainly with MPSCs and Hoosier R6s, I have found that they become hard and lose most of their grip before i can cord them with a vehicle properly set-up for them. It is very obvious to me when they are heat cycled out.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If they have no tread, they will not pass PCA DE tech inspection rules for DOT tires. They must have tread on them to run. Hoosiers are an exception since they are for all purposes a slick.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Run 'em 'til they cord if you have another set of wheels for a second set of tires. If you're just doing DE's, who cares if your tires lose a second or so a lap. If you're racing, use the heat-cycled tires as practice tires.

If you only have one set of wheels, save them for a one or two day event.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 02-17-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:04 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
If they have no tread, they will not pass PCA DE tech inspection rules for DOT tires. They must have tread on them to run. Hoosiers are an exception since they are for all purposes a slick.

That must be region specific. I run my Kumhos to the cord. If it's raining, we'll check tread depth in staging, but when it's dry, I don't see why you would require tread.

When I used MPSC, I found they heat cycled out way before I got to the cords. If the tires aren't slowing down, drive em' to the cords.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Cannock
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, these are basically at the stage where the center tread is almost gone but they have some side tread left. I think I will save them for a track day close to home as I am sure I can get one or two track days out of them.

Quick Reply: Dot R, when to replace them