Sponsored by:

Accusump - wise investment or no

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 01:01 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Accusump - wise investment or no

I have an '87 944S that is a 80/20 car (80% of its driving duties now are at the track, 20% would be the grocery run). The car is still responsible for getting me and tires to and fro said Track Events. My concern - as I have been scared into attention - is over the #2 bearing and oil starvation. I am looking at modifying the oil pan and while doing this I am playing with the idea of adding an Oil Cooler (car doesn't have one) and Accusump.

I get the impression that the Accusump will do nothing for my starvation issues (good for starting however) but is it a wise investment for the longevity of the motor or is it more of an aide for American cars.

Also, any takes on the advantages in a non-turbo using an oil cooler? Good preventative medicine or spending money that might be spent better otherwise?

TIA
Old 06-01-2001, 01:28 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Originally posted by Adam Richman:
<STRONG>I have an '87 944S that is a 80/20 car (80% of its driving duties now are at the track, 20% would be the grocery run). The car is still responsible for getting me and tires to and fro said Track Events. My concern - as I have been scared into attention - is over the #2 bearing and oil starvation. I am looking at modifying the oil pan and while doing this I am playing with the idea of adding an Oil Cooler (car doesn't have one) and Accusump.

I get the impression that the Accusump will do nothing for my starvation issues (good for starting however) but is it a wise investment for the longevity of the motor or is it more of an aide for American cars.

Also, any takes on the advantages in a non-turbo using an oil cooler? Good preventative medicine or spending money that might be spent better otherwise?

TIA</STRONG>
Old 06-01-2001, 01:45 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Sorry about the last post. I'm learning how to respond and the REPLY button is not near the REPLY WITH QUOTE button.

Anyway, I have an '86 951 daily driver and time trial at least one weekend a month. Boost is set at 13 PSI with a manual boost controller. Headgasket and all internals are original and car has run 138,000 miles. Mobil 1 15W50 changed every 3,000 miles.

I installed an Accusump at 72,000 when I purchased the car three years ago. I have the solenoid energized whenever I am on the track since I believe that the suction tube cannot injest air until the Accusump is empty. Oil level is 1/8" over full.

Last weekend I replaced rod bearings and found worn but good bearings. No oiling problems at all. I installed a modified oil pan and a modified pickup tube only because I was there anyway but think that the Accusump and/or high oil level have kept the bearings properly lubricated.

Hope this helps,
Claus Groth
Old 06-02-2001, 11:10 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
[QUOTE]Edited: Originally posted by Adam Richman:
[QB]I have an '87 944S that is a 80/20 car (I have been scared into attention - is over the #2 bearing and oil starvation. I am looking at modifying the oil pan and while doing this I am playing with the idea of adding an Oil Cooler (car doesn't have one) and Accusump.
Adam:

In my opinion and admittedly limited experience, I would certainly do the oil cooler. While the Accusump would certainly bring the oil pressure up before starting the car and would seemingly therefore decrease wear, I don't think that's the problem with the #2 bearing. Look how many street driven 944's are out there with over 100k on original bearings.

My car is an '85 that has been used exclusively on the track for 4 full seasons (about 2,500 track miles per year).

When I first built the car, I installed new rod bearings and a late 944 oil pan baffle (not sure what year they changed, but if you ask for one from an S2 they are the later ones). After two years, the rod bearings were changed and were significantly worn, not at the point of imminent failure, but certainly determined my maintenance interval at 2 years. At that time, I also added a fairly good size oil cooler and gutted the AC condensor to allow good air flow to the cooler.

Two years later (this winter), I pulled the rod bearings again (as preventative maintenance), and they were PERFECT. You could tell that they had been run, but that was it. If I hadn't had the new bearings sitting right there, I would have put the old ones back in.

This is just one person's experience, but I'm comfortable with it and will move my interval on bearing replacement to at least 3 years now.

I've always run 15-50 Mobile 1 and always run the level a bit above the full mark.

Hope this adds some food for thought.

Best Regards,
Joe Rothman
Old 06-03-2001, 11:43 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for that post. I, for one, like good hard evidence from experienced folks...

My 951's bearings looked very good after 160K, but then again, it's always had an oil cooler...
and Mobil 1,

and doesn't get it as hard as your track car does, I bet!
Old 06-04-2001, 12:09 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Thanks all, the oil cooler and baffled pan sounds like a good combination.

Accusump doesn't sound like it could hurt as well.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Holy old thread!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:15 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Holy old thread!
Yeah, a bunch of old ones are popping up for me, too. I like it.

Quick Reply: Accusump - wise investment or no