Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier vs. MPSC

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A thing to remember is BFG was one of the 1st if not the 1st to make a R compond tire years ago. They were even faster than some of the Goodyear slicks back then, and their were priced right. It would be great if the new R1's give the R6's and MPSC a run for their money and do it at a cheaper price.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:52 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I'm also tempted to try the new R1's. I guess I should check their availability. BTW, I thought the first R compound tires were the Yoko A008R's. Did the R1's really come out before them?

G.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
My experience with the MPSC's were that they had a lot of low speed understeer and sudden oversteer in fast corners, and not just when cold. I about lost it at Road Atlanta in a race as I was headed thru T12. Same line, same gear, etc, etc. The back end just wanted to lead. I caught (my life depended on doing that!). Then I used them at Putnam Park and was so slow, went to Hoosiers and picked up almost 2 seconds. I worked with the Michelin engineers at Road America and over the phone to get the right set up and I never did so I gave up on them.
Nice to know somone else has had the same experience of snap oversteer. I'm two seconds faster a lap on Hoosiers and my car is heavy 3340lbs. Also takes two laps for MPSC to come in and your how far behind

Jimmy the fugitive
Old 02-09-2007, 03:59 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't remember for sure wihich was 1st the R1's or the 008's. But one thing for sure this tire debate about which one is fastest has been going on for a long time. I do agree that the R6's are better on a lighter car than the MPSC, but in the long run it's the tire that gives the driver the most confiidence behind the wheel.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Called my connection at Tire Rack and he said that the BFGs weren't due out until mid Spring. Anyone else have different info?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
A thing to remember is BFG was one of the 1st if not the 1st to make a R compond tire years ago. They were even faster than some of the Goodyear slicks back then, and their were priced right. It would be great if the new R1's give the R6's and MPSC a run for their money and do it at a cheaper price.
How much cheaper to make it worthwhile? UTQG of 40 vs. 80 for the MPSC, they start at 4/32.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris M.
How much cheaper to make it worthwhile? UTQG of 40 vs. 80 for the MPSC, they start at 4/32.
Based on my experience, UTQG is a meaningless number, especially for R compounds.

G.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Based on my experience, UTQG is a meaningless number, especially for R compounds.

G.
George, I agree. A good example is that the earlier Hoosiers carried a UTOG of 40. The R6s, which last MUCH longer, carry a UTOG of .......40!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Apparently these are out somewhere. The guys at J3 told me about them and how long they wear. Also, according the marketing department, the tires come up to temp in less than one lap. They are not affected by temp cycles and are a least a second faster than Hoosiers on a 1.6k track. More sizes are on the way.
They are only selling direct right now.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a google search and found this review of someone who tried the R1's.

""""""
I put these on my truck and loved them. They grip very well. High speed cornering is easy and above average. Great tire for the summer and they look good to.

Strengths:
Nice look and good grip.

Weaknesses:
There is this pit that is called the graveyard because many vehicles go down there and don't come out. I thought these tires would get me in and out with no prob. I was wrong. The truck got stuck in the ditch! The tires were not gripping the ground as they should. I removed the rims from the truck and had a freind bring me to my house. I put them on my Honda and they looked great! The only problem is I forgot the Lug nuts at the pit. While driveing to the pit to get the lugs the tires flew off the car on the highway and sent me into a flip hitting the guard rail and another car. Both cars were a total. So I guess my gripe that they don't grip well in pit's and the tires will not stay on the car without lug nuts.""""""

Somehow I think this guy is more closely related to his cousins than the rest of us are.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:52 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George A
Yup, I'm also tempted to try the new R1's. I guess I should check their availability. BTW, I thought the first R compound tires were the Yoko A008R's. Did the R1's really come out before them?

G.
Actually, the Yoko 001R was the first R compound tire out. It didn't look like much, but it was several seconds per lap better on any autocross course. Circa early 1980's.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Apparently these are out somewhere. The guys at J3 told me about them and how long they wear. Also, according the marketing department, the tires come up to temp in less than one lap. They are not affected by temp cycles and are a least a second faster than Hoosiers on a 1.6k track. More sizes are on the way.
They are only selling direct right now.
IF they are "not effected by heat cycles", I will be surprised...but, that happens often!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the day, there were no tire discussions like this. Because EVERYBODY ran R1s. It is nice to see BFG get back in the game.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Back in the day, there were no tire discussions like this. Because EVERYBODY ran R1s. It is nice to see BFG get back in the game.
Back in who's day? When I started autocrossing, we had to make our own tires!

Actually the hot tire was the Semperit M401, but the rich guys ran the Michelin XWXs.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:46 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Back in who's day? When I started autocrossing, we had to make our own tires!

Actually the hot tire was the Semperit M401, but the rich guys ran the Michelin XWXs.
Back in the day when everyone ran R1s...

Quick Reply: Hoosier vs. MPSC