Sponsored by:

Roll cage advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll cage advice

My car is going in for installation of a full cage tomorrow. I am having a local shop do the work - they have a ton of experience doing cages for SCCA cars, but no previous 911 experience. The price is right though...

I'm trying to provide them with as much guidance as I can. This car will be raced primarily with PCA, some with NASA, and a few SCCA regionals, so I figured I would tell them to build it to SCCA specs.

Here is the current state of the car after I finished stripping the interior:

I wanted to show them approximately where the mounting points should be, so I marked them with masking tape.

Question 1: do these look about right?

Rear:

Main hoop:

Front:

Question 2 - knee bar. Do you recommend installing one? Why or why not? I'm a little confused about exactly where it goes. Does the lower part of the dash remain in place? See picture below:

Finally, I am going to give them a hardcopy of the following pdf document to help guide their work. It also include pictures of what I was thinking of doing for door bars.

Link to pdf file

Question 3 - is the document a sufficient guide in your opinion? Any additional info that I should include?

This forum has been a huge resource for this project (as you can probably tell from all the familiar photos in the pdf ). Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd rather have my main hoop in the same plane as the verticle piece that froms the front of the rear seat. That should maximize strength and rigidity.

The very last set of door bars are just silly with the curved bar. The first set of door bars are better. I'd want to reinforce the bend at the a-pillar however.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:55 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Thanks very much for your comments George.

Originally Posted by Geo
Personally, I'd rather have my main hoop in the same plane as the verticle piece that froms the front of the rear seat. That should maximize strength and rigidity.
Not sure that I follow you? My understanding is that the diagonal and the cross bar for the seat belts must be in the same plane for SCCA/NASA. This is illustrated on Page 3 of the pdf.

Originally Posted by Geo
The very last set of door bars are just silly with the curved bar. The first set of door bars are better. I'd want to reinforce the bend at the a-pillar however.
By the last set, I assume you mean the last page of the pdf?

Which "first set of door bars" do you mean?

Hmm, I thought it was a fairly strong design with easy access. The alternative is a straight "X". Compared with that design, I don't see the shortcomings of the curved bars with the gusseted reinforcement... Could you elaborate?

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Taking it in tomorrow? May want to put that off until you get a little more advise from the list team. Since you car is 964, I'd recommend you just copy the 964 cup car cage. Have a friend who as one and I'll see if he can chime in here.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Hi Joe - car is an 82 911.

They will be working on it for a couple of weeks so there's plenty of time to discuss the design. I just need to get it to them tomorrow since there is a nice break in the weather right now and I can actually get it down my driveway
Old 02-05-2007, 04:09 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I have some pic's posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29068739@N00/page2/

they are not the best, but you can see some bends if you click on the photos...

Last edited by bgiere; 02-05-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spell
Old 02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I'm doing a lot of cage shopping myself. For door bars, NASA now requires 2 on the drivers side but according to Fall-Line, NASCAR bars will be required by most professional sanctioning bodies soon. They are suggesting NASCAR on both sides will be mandatory.

The front a pillar bars can/should go through the dash so the front mounting point is moved forward, closer to your feet for better protection and easier ingress/egress.

On knee bars, I have heard a couple of shops advise against them unless they are required by the rules. They are not required for PCA or NASA, don't know about SCCA.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

If you need some pic's I can post more detailed photos...Let me know as I will be going to work on the car Tuesday night....
Old 02-05-2007, 04:16 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
I'm doing a lot of cage shopping myself. For door bars, NASA now requires 2 on the drivers side but according to Fall-Line, NASCAR bars will be required by most professional sanctioning bodies soon. They are suggesting NASCAR on both sides will be mandatory.

The front a pillar bars can/should go through the dash so the front mounting point is moved forward, closer to your feet for better protection and easier ingress/egress.

On knee bars, I have heard a couple of shops advise against them unless they are required by the rules. They are not required for PCA or NASA, don't know about SCCA.
Thanks, lots of good info here.

I'll come back and do NASCAR bars if the rules ever require it. For now it's a simple X or something similar.

Regarding the front pillar bars - that's what I was thinking, the farther up the front mounts, the easier ingress/egress. I can't seem to find any photos that show the front a pillar bars going through the dash though...

I've heard the same thing on knee bars, but not sure why. I guess you could hit your knees on them
Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Few more questions...
- you staying torsion bar or coil overs?
- what type of doors? fiberglass or stock metal ones?
Old 02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Few more questions...
- you staying torsion bar or coil overs?
- what type of doors? fiberglass or stock metal ones?
I'm sorry, I should have posted more details about the car.

It is a G stock PCA car, so torsion bars (23/33) and stock doors, with an interior required (I will be replacing the original interior with RS carpet kit and RSA door panels).
Old 02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by bgiere
If you need some pic's I can post more detailed photos...Let me know as I will be going to work on the car Tuesday night....
bgiere - yes, if it's not too much time I'd love to see more detailed photos of your cup car cage.

Cheers,

jeff
Old 02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

http://fall-linemotorsports.com/pict...on-/index.html You will probably find some good cage photos here but be warned....there is a huge drool factor and if price is a concern, don't even open!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:24 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Here are pictures of my cage. The current version goes to each shock tower and may not be legal for your class. I have enclosed a picture of the old roll bar that shows where it is welded to the rear bulk head are.

You can look some other examples of cages and bars on Tony's web site.

http://tcdesignfab.com/porscheprojects.html
Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
http://fall-linemotorsports.com/pict...on-/index.html You will probably find some good cage photos here but be warned....there is a huge drool factor and if price is a concern, don't even open!
Those are some sweet looking cages! But no 911s that I could see

Quick Reply: Roll cage advice