Sponsored by:

Video camera microphone

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 03:34 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post
Post Video camera microphone

I began experimenting with in-car videos using a roll bar mounted video camera (mini-DV palmcorder). I know that many of you have done the same.

The resulting video quality has been excellent, however the audio quality is absolutely horrible because of the wind noise in the cabin. I would LOVE to hear the sound of the engine if possible.

Has anyone had success isolating the engine sound by using a secondary microphone (the palmcorder has a connection for an alternative microphone), and running it into the engine compartment?

If so, could you please explain to me the equipment that you used (ie microphone) and the installation procedure?

Thanks!
Erick
Old 01-17-2003, 03:41 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not actually what you have in mind, but I know alot of people tape a cotton ball, or cut out a square of a sock and tape it over the mic.

This generally cuts down on the wind noise...

Just a thought. I know its not what you are trying to do, but figured I would mention it anyway.

Brian
Old 01-17-2003, 11:40 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

RSAErick,

Does your camcorder have a wind supression setting?
Old 01-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Ted Drake
Advanced

I had wind buffeting on my in car video too.
I went to Radio Shack and bought a $30 lapel clip on mic with a 5 foot cord. This mic has a small off and on switch with a small battery for an in line amplifier. The mic works without the battery but the sound is very weak.

I placed the mic under the carpet in the back where the wind can't reach it.

I've tested it in the garage and the sound levels seem to be fine. I have not had it out at the track yet.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:24 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Erick, As Brian stated above, just roll up a sock and duct tape it over the built in mic in the camera. You can clearly see the blue tape over the front of my camera in <a href="http://www.pcarracing.homestead.com/files/VIRmarch2001/Dsc_9289.jpg" target="_blank">this</a> picture on my site. You can also click on my link to my video page and watch and listen to some of the videos as recorded with the internal mic with the sock taped over it.

E. J.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:41 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Okay, I'll certainly try the cotton ball/sock method... but I don't want to diminish the sound of the engine. In fact, if anything, I'd like to accentuate the sound of the engine for the sake of the video. If the cotton ball/sock method doesn't work, what do you think a microphone run to the engine would be like?
Old 01-19-2003, 03:24 PM
C Streit
Advanced

I've been toying with that idea myself. The "wind noise" is why you see microphones with the foam covers. It cuts way down on that. I may try an external microphone in the engine compartment with a foam cover too, but I expect this will pick up more induction noise than exhaust...
Old 01-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to try E.J.'s advice at my track event, however, a friend in the Cobra club said that Sony sells a remote mic that can be placed up to 120ft. from the recorder. He is going to experiment with placement near his sidepipes(inside floorboard)using the "sponge ball" type setup that newsreporters have on their mics with a sock over top of that. Not sure how it will turn out.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:36 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Because my camcorder has stereo inputs, I went looking at Radio Shack and found this <a href="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F003%5F005%5 F000&product%5Fid=33%2D3028" target="_blank">'stereo' microphone</a>. Well, aside from the loopy idea of recording onto two microphones that are four inches apart from each other, this setup also comes with a power source and a (use-it-or-don't) 16-foot extension, which would allow you to put the mic in the engine compartment, or down in the transmission tunnel -- places where the wind might be muted.

They also sell foam caps for the microphones, which will cut wind noise and not look as goofy as a sock.

And the thing's on sale for $15. How can you go wrong?

Now, two things I wonder about: if wind noise in the cabin is bad, how loud must it be where there's an engine-driven fan sucking hundreds of cubic liters of air per second? And also: would wireless microphones get interference from the car's ignition system?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:31 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Erick - funny you should bring the topic up. I've been thinking of exactly the same thing. I also wanted to try the microphone in the engine bay idea. If you could get through tech inspection with a wire taped along the body into the engine bay, it would be pretty cool.

What video software do you edit your footage with? I use Adobe Premiere and you've got a multitude of options for manipulating the audio.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:22 AM
late apex
Instructor

Hi,
I bought a "pencil cam" and I tape it to the top of my helmet, works great. I run it and a mic to a video camcorder, the kind with rca jacks that is a cross between a VCR and camera and strap it in. I've run the mic in several locations. If you put it near the intake horns that is all you hear. If you put it near the transaxle, even good shifting sounds rough, but there is a neat whineing sound like a lamborghini sound if you know what that means. The best place is the cockpit or the engine compartment away from the transaxle. My trasaxle is a hewland and the clutch is not used during shifting, so maybe you will have better luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:27 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Guys, if you don't want to roll up a sock, get a regular old $5 microphone from radio shack with a 6 foot cord. Use duct tape to secure it to the rear shelf on your 911 facing backwards towards the engine. Believe me when I tell you that you will not get any wind noise and you will hear plenty of motor noise. But then again, you already don't believe me that the sock on the front of the camcorder allows the engine noise to come through. Hell, I even have videos on my site from my car with that very setup for you to try.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:06 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tell 'em EJ.

Guys, trust him...

He's experimented with it enough, and it works fine...

Brian
Old 01-22-2003, 02:22 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

E.J.,
I'll certainly give it a try.

However, I noticed that your engine/exhaust sounds significantly louder than mine - regardless of the wind noise.

Maybe a drilled airbox and muffler bypass would help my cause!
Old 01-22-2003, 12:14 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts
I like that remote mike idea... I'd stash mine under the back of the car, get the exhaust note reverberating off the pavement and the gearing whining... way cool...

Better yet, use a stereo VCR to capture 2 mikes as L and R. One under the back to catch the exhaust/tranny noises, the other stashed under my helmet to catch the cursing (synchronized with the missed shifts)... LOL

Quick Reply: Video camera microphone