Sponsored by:

PCA Rules Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:45 PM
J.M. Staack
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCA Rules Question

Does anyone know whether PCA has taken a position on whether remote reservoir, adjustable shocks are permitted in the stock or prepared classes? The Rules provide that shocks are free "provided they are of the same type." I'm not clear on what that means.

I think there was an artilce in Excellence awhile back where it indicated that the Fox shock was installed in a stock PCA racer.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remote reservoir shocks are legal in PCA stock and prepared classes.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Remote reservoirs are legal in the stock and prepared classes as mentioned above.

Shocks with adjustable spindle height are not legal. So the rear Fox shocks are legal in stock classes but the front struts are not. You can use the fronts in prepared.

I emailed Donna Amico about this a couple of months ago. Check with her before buying anything - it's nice to have that email from her in your file when you go through tech inspection
Old 01-12-2007, 10:57 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I would bet you could have adjustable spindles so long as you could prove they ware pinned at stock height.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:00 AM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by 38D
I would bet you could have adjustable spindles so long as you could prove they ware pinned at stock height.
That was the argument that I made to Donna re: the Fox shocks: "What if I tack weld them at the stock height?"

She said that she didn't want the scruts to have to deal with measuring spindle height. I pointed out that other struts with fixed spindle height (Bilstein RSR, JRZ, etc.) are available with raised spindles. She didn't have much to say about that, but she was clear that the Fox shocks were not legal for stock classes...
Old 01-13-2007, 04:24 PM
J.M. Staack
2nd Gear

I appreciate the feedback. This is exactly what concerns me. PCA rules are vague at best, compounded by unpublished, inconsistent rulings.

I put RSR struts on the front of my prepared 911 which at the time was generally accepted as permissible. Several years later, it was determined that the knuckle was 10 mm off the stock location and they were therefore not permitted. I emailed Charlesworth and asked if I relocated the knuckle to stock location whether they would pass. He responded that would be okay. I still have it. Perhaps Donna needs to see it. On the other hand, I have no confidence that she would honor it.

I'm disposed to install the Fox shocks on all corners and go with it.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J.M. Staack
I appreciate the feedback. This is exactly what concerns me. PCA rules are vague at best, compounded by unpublished, inconsistent rulings.
<snip>
It probably depends on the scrut that looks at it. If you have the dimensions in some sort of official document, and it can easily be measured and compared to a bone stock spindle, then you would most likely be ok, but....
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:50 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Out of curiosity, I checked out the BMW stock rules a few weeks ago. Their rule book is about 4 times bigger...I'm not saying its better, but probably fewer interpretation problems. http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/Info...rTheRacer.aspx

IIRC, in stock classes they (edit, they, being bmw club racing) allow double adjustable shocks, but don't allow remote reservoirs (JRZ makes them).

Last edited by forklift; 01-13-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:48 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by J.M. Staack
If a scrut were to disqualify you for the Fox shocks with spindles welded at the factory height they would have a lot of explaining to do.

That said, I decided to go with the JRZ double adjustables with remote res as I think they are a better product (albeit considerably more expensive) and I didn't want to deal with any issues from the scruts. I plan to bring a copy of Donna's email to future races...

forklift - remote res is legal. Lots of folks on here use them.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:05 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was referring to the BMW rules, sorry I wasn't more clear.

I just bought JRZ doubles w/ remote res. in Sept. and hope to race in D this year.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Hey Colin, I guess here is another one where all of the 996's should be disqualified. If I understdand this thread correctly, being able to adjust the shock body on the spindle is not allowed. All of the good aftermarket systems for the 996 seem to have that. The GT3 does from the factory and I would have to go look at a stock 996 setup, but I am pretty sure you could slide that up and down as well althought it might have a lip and notch in it.

I agree that PCA's rules are vauge at best. I am pushing to get better detail and clairifcations along with more flexibility. Liek BMW, EMRA and NASA have more more detail and IMO make for better racing.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Hey Colin, I guess here is another one where all of the 996's should be disqualified. If I understdand this thread correctly, being able to adjust the shock body on the spindle is not allowed. All of the good aftermarket systems for the 996 seem to have that. The GT3 does from the factory and I would have to go look at a stock 996 setup, but I am pretty sure you could slide that up and down as well althought it might have a lip and notch in it.
I am not certain that what you are talking about makes any difference. The lower ball joint to spindle height is fixed on these cars, and so moving the shock body up or down in the carrier would not make any difference, AFAIK.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

So what is the issue with the Fox shocks? Not familiar with the application.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On a pre 964 chassis, the spindle is part of the shock body. The RSR shocks have raise spindles (no legal). The Fox shocks have the ability to position the spindle at any height using pinch bolts to secure it (certainly not legal at any height other than stock). All later 911 suspensions have stub axles (spindles) attached to hub carriers. They are fixed unless you modify the hub carrier mounting points to the suspension.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:59 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

The Fox body is Al alloy and the spindle unit is steel so welding is out of the question and drilling a hole for a pin just might let the dampers liquid and gas contents out in a short duration but well pressurised spray.
Considering that folks have been cutting spindles off struts and moving them around since the 911 has been racing I would think National would want to have the spec on them and check some now and then. This is one of those little low profile stock class cheats that helps handling regardless of the damper used. JRZ welds a 911 type spindle to a strut when you order a set. What is to keep JRZ from putting a set together with liffted spindles per your request? Good yeld cheat with low profile but one that would be easer to test for than compression or valve timing, if we were looking.

Quick Reply: PCA Rules Question