Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track issues... digital camcorder recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

thats another nice thing about the motorsports version. It comes with a waterproofed case that can be used underwater as well for other applications, that incorporates a glass lense to protect the camera.

mk

http://www.vimeo.com/907228

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Anyone running a chasecam digital recorder with a RaceCam lens? My trusty sony camcorder has lasted 5 seasons living in a protected padded bag but would like to stay ahead of the curve and have a back up ready. Chase cam recorder looks like a nice unit designed for our racing applications.
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wormhole
So what are we saying the aipek is usless because there is no way to edit the quicktime movie. Someone must a way to do this without having to convert the file.
Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 is a great option for editing/converting/tweaking both HD and regular video in almost every format around. The Platinum version is great value at $90 from Amazon .
Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wormhole
So what are we saying the aipek is usless because there is no way to edit the quicktime movie. Someone must a way to do this without having to convert the file.
QuickTime Pro for $29 will do simple editing and can export to other flavors if you prefer. Both Win and Mac. I'm not sure if apps like VisualStudio are available for Windows (I'm assuming you're on a Windows machine if you're bitching about QuickTime), but on the Mac VisualStudio can convert practically anything to practically anything. It is handy for us Mac guys to convert all those pesky proprietary Microsoft attempts at world domination to open standard MP4 container formats...
Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts
Default another nice thing about gopro hero cameras

they can mount almost anywhere, easily, and without the nasty vibrations that other mounts provide

check out "rear supension-cam"

with the proper motorsports mount, the noise issue went away. it sounds pretty good now.

Ill post a short highway clip at 100mph

mk
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 AM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$129 Aiptek 5800N on an IO Port mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4LQdnRsftw
Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

SWA 911,

Nice video. Was this a "bone stock" Aiptek camcorder, or did you modify it in some way? It's hard to tell with the music, but it appeared to pick up the car sounds without too much wind noise. And was the IO Port mount clamped to your rollbar? I'm hoping to get a wider angle view so the driver's hands are visible; I'm not sure that's possible with this camera -- or with that mounting location.

Great tank-slapper spin caught on tape. Looks like that guy was lucky.

Rob
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock Aiptek with a small strip of masking tape over the mic. I just got it and had to make a quick mount at the track thus the location on the "A" pillar of the roll cage. When I get more time I'll mount it to the cross member of the cage. I think the mount location has a lot to do with wind noise. Where I had it mounted is a pretty calm area forward of the passenger window. Even the raw audio is very good with no wind noise at all. Once mounted in the middle of the car that might be a different story.

All in all I am very happy with it and the price was right. So much easier and faster to work with digital clips than going through the hassle of tapes. I was able to download each session to my laptop in just about 10 minutes between races.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWA911
$129 Aiptek 5800N on an IO Port mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4LQdnRsftw
Would be good if you could load this up on www.vimeo.com so we could see the HD version in 16:9 format. Vimeo's HD format support is pretty decent.
I'm still pretty impressed with the results the Aiptek produces. Despite the audio issues, its still a great solution for under $200. Can't beat that.

Last edited by APKhaos; 04-22-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Another example from the Aiptek AHD.

I missed the apex... slightly. At least I wiped out that damn cone.

http://www.vimeo.com/895650

Quick Reply: track issues... digital camcorder recommendations?