Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track issues... digital camcorder recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ae we suppose to be able to view that clip? What am I missing. It say protected.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Try again. I may have had it set to private.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone running a chasecam digital recorder with a RaceCam lens? My trusty sony camcorder has lasted 5 seasons living in a protected padded bag but would like to stay ahead of the curve and have a back up ready. Chase cam recorder looks like a nice unit designed for our racing applications.
Thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

What is everyone using to edit the quicktime movie from the aiptek recorder? I’ve spent the last 3 days trying to get something to work
I have adobe premiere and can get other quicktime movies to load but none from those recordered with the aiptek. I’ve tried video converters and they all either chop up the video or loose the audio.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a tip, don't go buying an expensive mic for your camera, just plug a pair of old ipod or other small headphones (earbuds) into the mic port. They do just fine at getting engine noise, shifting, etc w/o the wind noise. And they don't cost anything.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont know about that HD version of the video. ever tryied riding a bike while looking through binoculars?
First of all vimeo decimates the quality, and the HD mode only changed the aspect ratio of 16x9 on a 4x3 video. Notice how wide that RX7 was?

anyway, whats nice about the Go Pro camera is that the video format is just a simple AVI file. you just pull out the card , and put it in your PC. drag and drop the file to media maker and edit the video and save for a sub 60MB file for the entire race. 1 hour on a 2 gig card is pretty good, and the video quality is just below 640x480 quality. with the motorsports video kit, everything is around $170. camera alone without the motorsports kit , but the sports kit is around $130

http://www.vimeo.com/907502

http://www.vimeo.com/907228
Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
First of all vimeo decimates the quality

Here's the same clip on Google and Vimeo

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31970473&hl=en

http://www.vimeo.com/883812
Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The google is fuzzy and the vimeo clear, but the vimeo seems to be dropping many frames on my PC so that it is very jerky. I probably prefer the google!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:40 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark kibort
First of all vimeo decimates the quality, and the HD mode only changed the aspect ratio of 16x9 on a 4x3 video. Notice how wide that RX7 was?
Not even close. Google is up there with You Tube as the top Veg-O-Matic of video compression. Vimeo is so far ahead of those two sites there is no comparison. What's more, Vimeo's HD is quite accurate. Take a look at Streak's videos, and you will see that the aspect ratio is perfectly rendered.

I know you like the Go Pro, but it actually has some pretty severe resolution limitations vs other cameras at similar price points.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I have a Chasecam setup that I am happy with. This camera was made for Racing and is constructed to be in the car with all the heat and vibrations. I have a 32gig CF card which stores hours at the highest resolution. I use the Chasecam bullet lens that you can put basically anywhere in the car. I used to put it on my rollbar using a IO Port mount and have since moved it to my passenger GT3 seat on the ear. The camera automatically syncronized with my Traqmate once I power up my Traqmate and get the GPS lock the Chasecam starts recording. Once I get to the cool down lap I stop my Traqmate and the camera stops recording. Also, I always have the Chasecam powered (hard wired) so I do not have an issue of the batteries running out. I can tell you in the past either my video or data recorder's batteries stopped typically during my best lap -- that is a thing of the past.

The only downside of the Chasecam is it is somewhat expensive and it mainly for the car. You are not going to use the unit to record videos of your kids birthday party.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

So what are we saying the aipek is usless because there is no way to edit the quicktime movie. Someone must a way to do this without having to convert the file.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I totally agree with you on the quality of the youtube /google vs this Vimeo. I was questioning the sourse of the video where the aspect ratio was way out of wack for the video. i saw of the last comparison videos and there is even a HD button that goes back and forth between HD and normal. It works.

I was only questioning the distorted aspect ratio of the "hayride" video.

Does Vimeo keep the resolution?

the go pro has prett good quality. you can see by my vimeo videos that it is near as good, however, this also is a function of the source. I imported the edited video from Windows media maker which keeps the line resolution, but actually decimates the quality by a factor of 4. The Gopro video data rate is 4Mb/second vs 1.1Mb/second after it is processed by media maker.
In otherwords, if i just took the raw video from the camera, and posted it off the go pro, it would 4 x the resolution than ive posted.

(for comparison, my cannon video still camera is near 14Mb/second)

Mk

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Not even close. Google is up there with You Tube as the top Veg-O-Matic of video compression. Vimeo is so far ahead of those two sites there is no comparison. What's more, Vimeo's HD is quite accurate. Take a look at Streak's videos, and you will see that the aspect ratio is perfectly rendered.

I know you like the Go Pro, but it actually has some pretty severe resolution limitations vs other cameras at similar price points.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Wormhole
What is everyone using to edit the quicktime movie from the aiptek recorder? I’ve spent the last 3 days trying to get something to work
I have adobe premiere and can get other quicktime movies to load but none from those recordered with the aiptek. I’ve tried video converters and they all either chop up the video or loose the audio.
I use Apple's Final Cut to edit it (the cheaper version of Final Cut, not the $1000 studio version). Also, if you buy Quicktime Pro from Apple, you can load it, trim the sections you want, and they output to another format that I would expect Adobe can handle.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

this is the video i was refering to.
http://www.vimeo.com/613813

the aspect ratio is 16.9 but the video is 4.3 so it is stretched out and distorted, but you can see it is very clear.

wonder what the source video specs are? can they be provided?

cannon "970" 14Mb/second and up to 21Mb/sec 640x480 30fps
go pro 4Mb/second 580x384 30fs

when put in media maker ..... both go to 1.1Mb/second and both start out as AVI and both are editable in movie maker
edit: just found a few more videos that i have edited. it seems that sometimes, depending on how many clips are joined and from what source the data rate can be kept in tact. always lowest common denominator for disparate bit rate clips, and if you edit sound, it brings it down as well (to the 1.1Mb/second range)

mk

Originally Posted by APKhaos

Last edited by mark kibort; 04-17-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

I have the DL1 data logger, so am holding out for the Video4

http://www.race-technology.com/home_8.html

available in 2 months. Should be a great integrated system (or a waste of money )

Quick Reply: track issues... digital camcorder recommendations?