Sponsored by:

Boxster PCA F Class Racer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:11 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster PCA F Class Racer.

I have been trying to figure out what PCA class to start to race in. I currently have a '97 C4S and have thought of racing a 993 in D Class but it is not really a competitive car. Plus I would rather start out in a lower class. I know there are some spec classes, but I live in the midwest, so PCA is the most organized for me.

So I have been looking at F Class because it has the 944S2, 968 and the 911 Euro SC and Carrera's, Boxster and it's a pretty competitive class. Also, the class has a relatively lower entry cost and plenty of donor cars.

My big dilema is wanting to race a Boxster in F Class. How competitive is the Boxster compared to the other cars in F Class. Is the modern suspension a big plus. Does the engine have the torque to hang with the 911's and 944.

One issue is the reliability of the engine. There are plenty of oil flatulance, blown engine, fried power steering posts to make me worry about the car on the track. Can all of the mechanical issues be address to make the car a reliable racer; I doubt it can be bulletproof.

I seems the brakes are up to the task, maybe adding S rotors. There are wheel bearing issues, but this seems to be a preventative maintanence issue.

From a suspension setup how many parts can you legally borrow from the GT3 and still stay in the PCA stock class. Can't you use GT3 controll arms. I know the GT3 sway bars are not a problem. Can you lower the car without introducing bump steer, and can it be overcome with factory parts.

I have seen plenty of Boxster's in DE's but no races, so I am trying to understand why I am not seeing more racing. I know there is the "it's a chick car" and there is no hard top, but there has to be more. I am trying to avoid an over-preped Boxster racer when a well-preped 944S2 or 911 will do the same.

I know that it is better to buy then build, are their any race preped Boxsters out there.

Thanks,
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

First, forget all this Boxster crap, you should buy one of the already done race cars that is available (like my D class 964 turbo or JimB's B class 996 X51...). Seriously.

But if you insist flushing your money down a toilet, I do believe the 2.7L Boxster could be competitive in F. It would have a fairly large weight advantage on the S2s (2779 vs. 2932). With a decent set of headers and a straight race exhaust, I'd bet it would not be that much different in a straight line than the S2, 951s, 968s or Carerras. The main issue will be reliability. Racing is a whole different ballgame. While there are many boxsters that are DE'd, few if any are driven anywhere near as hard as you will need to in order to be on the podium. So that means you will likely be finding issues. You've already nailed a few with the PS pump and wheel bearings. There are a handful of guys starting to build spec boxsters out on the west coast, so you could see what they have found. There is also a boxster racing board with some info (http://www.boxcar-racing.com/forum/).

For suspension, you can basically swap in most of the cup parts in the front. The rear is harder as it is different from the other cars. You will need to find someone that has a decent kit for back there. The hard thing will be that it won't be that proven a combo when you setup the car, whereas with other platforms you can see racing results. You are probably talking $10k+ to do the suspension right. You'll also need seats, cage, kill switch, bigger wheels, ducting to rotors, etc, etc. It's probably north of $30k to build out the car (plus the cost of the donor car). I would also personally run the hardtop and bolt it to the cage (safer if you go off into soft dirt/sand)

So anyway, I am sure it will be fun to build out a competive boxster, but it will cost you way more than racing in a higher class with an already done car.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gee Colin if we all keep buying "old" race cars, there will be be no more, and we will have forgotten how to build new ones them.Anyway, Jim , the Boxster racer is a good idea, All of the pieces Mantissport has developed will fit. There's a ton of boxsters out there. Good luck, and email me if for info.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Buy a done one,do NOT build one (ask me how I know) There is a great 996 for sale on rennlist.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 PM
racer
Drifting

I too think the Boxsters could also be competitive in their class, but as others mentioned, you might be doing some (most?) of the development work on your own to make it so. I think once the SPEC Boxsters get out and used/abused, folks will find the cure-alls for the problems. Maybe it would be a bit rushed to do it this year, in light of the certain benefits the spec series will bring to the development side of things. Since Porsche never raced them, you don't get the same wealth of experience as with the 911/944 cars. Heck, 944's break all the time but there are still a ton out there racing.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

One of our customers wants to sell his F class carrera. Very competetive car. Send me an e-mail if you are interested in details.
adamf@knology.net
Old 12-11-2006, 08:02 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The answer to all your club racing dreams is just a click (and a check) away.

996 Racecar

Old 12-11-2006, 11:22 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie J
Gee Colin if we all keep buying "old" race cars, there will be be no more, and we will have forgotten how to build new ones them.Anyway, Jim , the Boxster racer is a good idea, All of the pieces Mantissport has developed will fit. There's a ton of boxsters out there. Good luck, and email me if for info.
Isn't the Cayman rear suspension a bit different? The rest of your learnings would certainly be applicable. In a couple of years, I think the 986/987 platform cars will own F, E and D.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Ernie J
Pro

No Colin, suspension the same in all aspects. Jim could make killer F car from the Boxster. Just need a real good cage to stiffen the chassis up. Forget a couple of years, 2007 is around the corner. Tweaking is all I have to do now.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tweaking is all I have to do now.
I thought that you already tweaked it at Daytona?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Ernie J
Pro

No, no, that was crashing, tweaking is what's being going on since.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Isn't the Cayman rear suspension a bit different? The rest of your learnings would certainly be applicable. In a couple of years, I think the 986/987 platform cars will own F, E and D.
i think only the rear knuckle is different.
shox and camber plates are the same.
from eyeballing, sway bar is the same too.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by 38D
First, forget all this Boxster crap, you should buy one of the already done race cars that is available (like my D class 964 turbo or JimB's B class 996 X51...). Seriously.

But if you insist flushing your money down a toilet, I do believe the 2.7L Boxster could be competitive in F. It would have a fairly large weight advantage on the S2s (2779 vs. 2932). With a decent set of headers and a straight race exhaust, I'd bet it would not be that much different in a straight line than the S2, 951s, 968s or Carerras. The main issue will be reliability. Racing is a whole different ballgame. While there are many boxsters that are DE'd, few if any are driven anywhere near as hard as you will need to in order to be on the podium. So that means you will likely be finding issues. You've already nailed a few with the PS pump and wheel bearings. There are a handful of guys starting to build spec boxsters out on the west coast, so you could see what they have found. There is also a boxster racing board with some info (http://www.boxcar-racing.com/forum/).

For suspension, you can basically swap in most of the cup parts in the front. The rear is harder as it is different from the other cars. You will need to find someone that has a decent kit for back there. The hard thing will be that it won't be that proven a combo when you setup the car, whereas with other platforms you can see racing results. You are probably talking $10k+ to do the suspension right. You'll also need seats, cage, kill switch, bigger wheels, ducting to rotors, etc, etc. It's probably north of $30k to build out the car (plus the cost of the donor car). I would also personally run the hardtop and bolt it to the cage (safer if you go off into soft dirt/sand)

So anyway, I am sure it will be fun to build out a competive boxster, but it will cost you way more than racing in a higher class with an already done car.

38D,

I definately saw your for sale ad. Like you, I want a cup car too, but not now. Your D class racer is definately a well set up car. I have not ruled it out yet. I think D class is my limit. Jim's 996 is too much for me to handle right now.

I think we are both on the same page as far as reliability goes. Racing is much harder and needs to be addressed accordingly. I have visited box-carracing, but is it a lightly traveled site. There is definately good information on fixing some of the common issues with the car. It also seems more spec related but still racing related. There are a couple of guys who put their boxster's throght the wringer.

I am also glad to see you take on how competitive the boxster would be in F Class. F Class seems like a well matched group.

Your setup numbers for suspension seem right, $10k, but I wasn't expecting north of $30k for the whole build plus the donor car. I know all of the little things adds up more then you expect. I think the trial-an-error setup would be the suspension and what parts to swap in from the different platforms. I wasn't thinking of going Cup Car parts but if they work.

Your last line rings true. A F-Class car alreay built is probably about $20k to $25k. And all of the unkowns for the given platform have been worked out. I just would like to see a newer car in those classes.

Thank you for your response and insight.

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Ernie J,
I am glad you responded. I will definately be in contact.

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 10:24 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by 38D
I think you called the Cayman S being the new D Class winner. I just wish the rule change to move the '99 996 back to D.

Quick Reply: Boxster PCA F Class Racer.