Cayman S Oil Ingestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S Oil Ingestion

My '07 Cayman S sometimes ingests a big gulp of oil at the track. At Sebring my car sometimes farts a big plume of oil in the middle of the carousel. I don't know whether it's the high-g loading into turn one that forces oil into places that it shouldn't be, or if its the left-right-left weight transfer of the carousel thats sloshing the oil around.

I'm sure this problem has been discovered by other drivers in 3.4L 996's.

If I understand correctly, one fix is a deep sump oil pan and oil sump extension. The Mantis Racing team uses one in their Cayman S race car. However, I don't know if that entirely fixes the problem - but it certainly is a step in the right direction. I believe different baffles or a modification to the oil seperator are in order.

Anyone else tackle this issue?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:30 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Overfilled? My 944 did this if I overfilled it even by a half quart...kept it exactly on "full" mark and it was fine for may track miles after that....
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

PM Mooty before you spend any money. He's been down this road.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Second the PM Mooty. He seems to be the resident expert at this. Also, you may want to search his posts.

Maybe it is the double duty you put that car through?!?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:04 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Terry:

The "farting" only gets better with R-compounds . Enjoy Homestead best to all this holiday season.

Merry Christmas
Christian
Old 11-29-2006, 12:20 PM
agio
Racer

T,
What about after the run. Car is parked and engine off for 1/2 -- 1 hour, then start it for your next run. Does it pass flatus then?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agio
What about after the run. Car is parked and engine off for 1/2 -- 1 hour, then start it for your next run. Does it pass flatus then?
If I got it to gulp oil on the track it would "flatulate" again when D would hop in the car for her run.
It really freaked the poor girl out the first time it happened, I'm sure she thought her motor was blown!
Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Actually agio is the resident expert on restart flatulence! That's why we never have any bugs at our site!!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

expert? not i. but here are what i have been through with the car.
runs on RA1's.
EVERY time i fire it up during a DE day, large puff of w hite smoke exits the ***, car's ***, not mine! that eventually cause oil level to drop off.

on high g, left turns, also big puff of smoke (not always, but 50-60% of the time for sure). i think it's oil sloshing into air/oil separator.

none of these "smoke" caused any driving issues, 5k or so on track miles. it smokes, i add oil and keep on pounding on it. EXCEPT once. after smoking on left handers a few times, i got CEL. i can still drive it very hard BUT, i only get 62-6400 rpm, then it cuts off. beside that it drives just fine and i kept pushing it all day with no prob. dealer reset the computer and off i pound on it again. dealer told me that by disconnecting the battery, the CEL will reset as well.

btw, i get CEL a lot. some times it turns itself off, sometimes it stays on for weeks then goes off, sometimes i have to have dealer turn it off. but none of the CEL caused any driving issues either on street or on track, except the time i only get 62-6400 rpm.

i ran the car with and with out mantis racing sump ext (i also use X51 baffle, not the stock baffle in cayman) i get the same smoking issue. mantis is making a new baffle, maybe that will help?

i use about 2 qts of oil for every 200 track miles. no oil usage on street driving.

btw. oil is not overfilled. i have tried one click, two click and three clicks below full on the instrument measuring device.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

since this is happening at a "track event" if something becomes a problem for the car will porsche warranty be valid?
the second anyone mentions the car is at the track some dealers void warranties, Terry although car seems sound if you have to communicate this issue with the dealer consider how its described! Just lookn out for ya!!
also some of the dealers frequent this board as well! So cars under warranty seeing track duty beware.......just my 2 cents to look out for us! ....tom
Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
since this is happening at a "track event" if something becomes a problem for the car will porsche warranty be valid?
the second anyone mentions the car is at the track some dealers void warranties,
I bought the car from Suncoast Porsche - they've been great to work with! Gordon M. at the parts desk has been a big supporter of the Suncoast Region DE program. My sales guy is a NASCAR licensed driver and our mechanic Carlos is a DE participant himself. We were up-front about taking the car on the track regularly. It hasn't been an issue - yet.

I won't be an *ss and try to get them to warranty "wear items" like brake rotors and pads.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm guessing a dry sump was invented for situations like this.

Has Porsche ever produced a (factory) race car that does not have a dry sump motor?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

PHP Code:
I won't be an *ss and try to get them to warranty "wear items" like brake rotors and pads 
Hey that hurts.....my dealer warrantied a few sets of rotors. Donkey award deserved.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

I asume that most of the board is aware of Tom K's saga with PCNA. Terry, be VERY careful re this issue. It is my understanding that well intented service managers have been overruled by their PCNA district reps when it comes to warranty work on their p-cars that might have been tracked.

Jack

Last edited by pedsurg; 11-29-2006 at 10:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

This seems to be a hit or miss issue on the Cayman. I have the same setup (more or less) as Mooty - coilovers and RA1's. 4,500 miles on the track this year. I use the x51 baffle. NO smoke or farting issues at all. Not once. I am sure I don't push as hard as Mooty, but I know others that push the car less than me and do have the smoke issue. Track or no track, could it be an issue that the factory should be dealing with?

Quick Reply: Cayman S Oil Ingestion