Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperSolo at Homestead--Frequently Asked Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Excellent Agio.

Cheers, Juan
Old 11-26-2006, 10:13 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I love the fact that PBOC does not stand for much nonsense at all. Thanks for the explainations, Bob and Dan! Now I get it.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:23 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I for one, am very excited. As you know, I don't race any more for a few reasons but remain very competative when on track. This new group should allow for better run time as faster cars won't have to wait for a point by.

One point I do want to make. Since this is not racing, a pass is not earned as it is in racing. What I mean is that if someone gets in your mirror, it is your duty to let him by. Blocking, or any other form of preventing a pass will not be tolerated. By the same token, dive bombing will not be tolerated either. Let's all play nice together and save the racing tactics for the race.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:53 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

The one bigest hope that I think SuperSolo will bring to racing is a more "gentlemanly" racer. Not so much aggression out there when all we have to gain in racing is bragging rights. Can't wait!!
Old 11-27-2006, 01:05 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob Schoeni asked a very good question and I am not sure we answered it totally.

As an Instructor if I am running in the SuperSolo group I will NOT be able to take my student out in that group.
Nothing is perfect and this is one of the things that we need to consider.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Dan, there should be no problem taking your student out in the 200 group.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM
agio
Racer

Dan,
Bob Shoeni's question for "ride alongs" with his instructor is a good question and, as always, totally up to his instructor. As Mitch has pointed out, the instructor can, for the purpose of instructing his student, run in the new 200 group where all of the traditional DE standards and protocols are used.
Thinking about it some more, the instructor who runs in the SuperSolo group may simply wish to run in the new 200 group for a session, day or w/e...with or without his student...I don't think I'd have a problem with this, but I'd have to think about it some more. I don't think the instructor would get to run in both 100 and 200 groups, i.e., doubling his run time. This will have to be worked on a bit.
If the instructor takes the student in the 200 run group (his only choice with a student in the car), then the student will see what is required of them in the areas of passing, hand signals, etc. and won't be confused or intimidated by the "pass anywhere on the track with or without a point-by" which takes place only in the new 100 SuperSolo DE group.
Hopefully, this clarifies it for you and Bob Shoeni.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:31 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by agio
I don't think the instructor would get to run in both 100 and 200 groups, i.e., doubling his run time. This will have to be worked on a bit.
A suggestion for this problem, I go out in the instructor group by myself but if I want to take my student out for a few laps I will take them out in the solo group for a half dozen laps or so just to show them, and let them feel, what I am trying to teach them. I don't take them out for all 3 solo sessions for the full amount of time, usually just the first solo session after lunch, so they can get a better idea and still have a couple of their own sessions.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
agio
Racer

John, you make a good point. As we all know, running in the instructor's group with one's student is, of course, up to the instructor. As far as I'm concerned, if an instructor wants to take his student out with him, he ought to do this during the instructor run. In general, I don't take students out with me. If I think that there is really something valuable and beneficial to be derived from doing this, I'll save it for my last run of the day.
Our solo run groups are usually full and when the groups are combined (often in the afternoon they are), then, the instructor ends up running with the solos anyway.
Clearly, there some kinks that have to be worked out.
I appreciate your ideas and thoughts.
Bob
Old 11-27-2006, 10:52 PM
DanS911
Pro

My understanding of the SuperSolo (and it makes sense) is that there will be no passengers permitted. This makes sense given the open passing rules.

Obviously no driver should be allowed to get more track time by running in more than one group, I.E. doing the afternoon session in both the 100 and 200 group.

It will be challenging for the event organizers, to have guys who have signed up for the 100 group (who are Instructing) jump into the 200 group.
Not saying it can't be done but...I can imagine lots of challenges.

It all depends on the numbers of course and the flexibility of whomever is making the decisions.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:05 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

I have a good idea for all SuperSolo people who want maximum track time......ask for 2 students. One in the 300 group and one in the 400 group. Then take one out in the 200 group for a ride, alternating each student throughout the day in the 200 sessions. Of course, if you have a Volvo wagon, you can take them both out at the same time, right?

After each 200 session is over, line up again for the SuperSolo session. WOW!! Talk about a lot of track time!!

Just being a smart a$$....
Old 11-27-2006, 11:19 PM
DanS911
Pro

Rich.....that's not funny.......drop and give me 10!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
agio
Racer

Dan and Rich,
Are you pressing for my resignation? You are both funny...and scary! Remember, I missed a meeting and then found out I was enlisted into this SuperSolo thing. Pay close attention otherwise I'll nominate you!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Forget the nomination, just name Rich and Dan to the oversight commitee! If there are any complaints, problems etc, it was an oversight and the newly appointed committee members will attend to it!!
Old 11-28-2006, 04:20 PM
DanS911
Pro

Note to self..........no more missed meetings.......keep mouth shut........

Quick Reply: SuperSolo at Homestead--Frequently Asked Questions...