How about BrumHo's

dem ho's be illin' , yo
Old 11-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
How about BrumHo's
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:50 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Something about this smells like BS.

Hurley does not own the Brumos trademark, and does not make his living making calls defending trademarks. I simply cannot see him calling some club racer about a logo on a car.
What kind of post is this, calling Bill a liar? Give me a break, Bill is if anything too honest.

Hurley was asked to make the call so that Brumos would not get beat to death on highly visible sites like this. It was right of Bill to send them the photo and equally right of them to ask that Brumos references be removed for several reasons.

Bill - you can advertise my business anytime, free of charge
Old 11-22-2006, 01:19 AM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure glad Brunos has Hurley's name and JC France's name on the side of the #59 car....great advertizing when JC decided to start punching on some guy...I can't remember who it was...not much for good PR/advertizing though!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
mconn
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looked good at CMP...
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, Hurley Haywood made the call. Sounded as if he did not get my e mail but was handed the picture attachment by whoever did read the email. I say that because his first question was "who owns the car". No bigee, I have removed the name BRUMOS and will replace it with my biz name. This will allow hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax benefits.

Great picture mconn. Thanks. Hopefully I can move the ice car up the grid a bit next weekend.

A more impressive celebrity encounter:
I also had dinner with PD Cunningham in Danville Va while racing at VIR. We were eating at a Japanese community table place and PD and his crew chief sat at our table. He is a one very good driver. Enjoyed watching him race in a down pour in the Acura NSX.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 204 Posts

Moral of the story.........next time it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission...!!

Car looks great in that picture....See you in Sebring Bill....!

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 11-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Rick. Check out Visceral Video. Great video and pictures of the CMP race and many of your giant killer.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
He is a Brumos professional driver. He is not an executive there. Do you see his name here?

http://www.brumos-porsche.com/photo-list.aspx

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree....but I simply cannot see a pro driver calling someone about a tiny trademark infringement issue....in the same way as I would not expect Randy Pobst to make calls to racers with the name "TriPoint" on their Mazda race cars....

Well VR, I have known him since he first crewed for Peter Gregg (and was hired by Peter when he showed he was faster than him) in the late '60s and we ran together in SCCA races, including some U-2 Liter Trans-AM events, and then we we came back from Viet Nam (there at almost the same time).

He maintains an office at Brumos, is in that office regularly, answers the phone in that office and carries a VP title. He is going to be surprised to hear your news! And yes, I'm aware that he has done some driving for them....

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that you will need to modify your graphics Bill, as that is one excellent looking car! Most companies would have sent a somewhat nasty attorney letter, threatening bad things if you don't get the name removed immediately, just so they have proof in the file of their vigorous defense of the name.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
A racing team manager I used to work for ran him in the 962 days, and often referred to him as Shirley Gaywood.. not sure why -- geee
Yeah, I wonder why would "Shirley" got that name...
Old 11-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Likely not on the red, white and blue....which I suspect is why he asked him to remove the Brumos name, not the red,white and blue.
It was more of a "What's next?" question, although I clearly see some of the issues in the name infringement.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:17 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bull and the others have it right, though, from a legal perspective, Brumos has no choice but to object and demand removal of the name or else they may not be able to stop other, actually offensive, misuses of their trademark. The only alternative available would have been to cut a deal with Brumos so that you are actually using their mark with permission, but that is probably not worth it for this situation. I think it is a very nice touch that Hurley called. It is a compliment. The typical response would have been a nasty letter from their Intellectual Property attorneys. Nice and classy touch.

hmmmmm. That get's me thinking. Maybe I should put "brumos" and "hurley's image" on the 944 so that I can get a phone call. Well, with the way I drive, I would probably get the nasty IP attorney's letter.

(Don't worry Mr. Haywood . . . I am only joking but I really would be grateful for an autographed picture or poster . . . really )

Last edited by TD in DC; 11-22-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 204 Posts

Have you guys lost your mind...!!! Saying things in public forum about one of the best racers in history. Grow up...!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
What kind of post is this, calling Bill a liar? Give me a break, Bill is if anything too honest.

Hurley was asked to make the call so that Brumos would not get beat to death on highly visible sites like this. It was right of Bill to send them the photo and equally right of them to ask that Brumos references be removed for several reasons.

Bill - you can advertise my business anytime, free of charge

Pipe down, homeslice, and unbunch your panties.

I never called anybody a liar. I said it smelled fishy having Elizabeth Hurley Haywood making lawyer phone calls.

Sheesh.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
hmmmmm. That get's me thinking. Maybe I should put "brumos" and "hurley's image" on the 944 so that I can get a phone call. Well, with the way I drive, I would probably get the nasty IP attorney's letter.
I was thinking more a good Photoshop mockup and a letter to them asking if it was OK. My luck I would get a nasty letter rather thana call from H.H.

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Have you guys lost your mind...!!! Saying things in public forum about one of the best racers in history. Grow up...!!!
No doubt.

Side note to Rick DeMan, since you are "here" Thank you for helping out a good friend at the Summit Point Club Race this year.
Folks, I was working Tech and doing new logbooks when a car came thorugh with the wrong type kill switch installed. No Pass as it would not kill the motor only cut the battery out of the loop. Cars owner is an older retired genuine good guy Potomac DE driver that I have known since his first DE to his getting better cars and the like as the track sickness set in and took hold. This was his first CR.
Rick was standing nearby and overheard the conversation and just walked up and offered to help out. The cars owner purchased the right switch and Rick and his crew spent much time installing it in a downpour. They were under a popup tent standing on ramps to keep out of the flood running under their feet. Thery had to remake the switch mount and just about redo the entire thing to get it right.

Thanks again for the kind offer and good work under nasty condidtions.

Quick Reply: Plagiarism and graphics