Sponsored by:

Plagiarism and graphics

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm still waiting for my call from Wonderbread....of course, they'll probably tell me to keep on eating their bread
Old 11-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggested to one well known German manufacturer that H.Haywood be retained to demonstrate the new supercharged Gayman - I thought everybody, including Hurley would enjoy the joke, after all H. is quite the one for hamming it up.

R+C
PS somewhere back there I may hzave transposed a G for a C but I would like to send a man to do a boy's job.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:41 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Having been involved with copyright issues for 20+ years, I understand Hurley's/Brumos' concerns. Sometimes it isn't so much what you are doing in the instance being discussed, it is the fact that if someone else can show that they didn't defend the copyright in one or more instances, then that person can get away with a more significant hi-jack of the copyrighted material/logo, etc. ....But you guys likely know all that and get it!
Exactly the point. Perhaps this is no longer a part of the institutional memory of this forum; but exhibit A of this very concept is rennlist itself. There is a reason our forum no longer has the word "P*rsche" in it's title, and it wasn't a friendly call from celebrity driver... A lexis/nexis search will reveal that the case was actually one of the important early precedents in the online use of trademarks and copyrights.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
It was more of a "What's next?" question, although I clearly see some of the issues in the name infringement.
I knew that .

Now, did I fail to mention my ownership of the registration of that particular shade of silver when used with the secondary colors you are using on your 993? Simple removal of the offending paint will not get it done...I will need monetary compensation. I'm sure we can come to a reasonable dollar figure for each time the vehicle has been out in public view since the paint scheme has been applied.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Now you just gettin nasty
Old 11-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope no Gulf Oil executives visit Rennlist or Pelican...
Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bill walczak
.......................... No bigee, I have removed the name BRUMOS and will replace it with my biz name. This will allow hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax benefits.
Yes indeed!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I think what bothers me a bit about this is that I have seen the ex-Brumos cars owned by other people in the Brumos livery colors.

Where does one draw the line? Is this selective enforcement? Have they called the owners of their former racecars and asked them to remove the name?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought Brumos could have a legitimate complaint or take issue with me copying their car for several reasons.
1. Brumos is a Porsche Dealer as opposed to a huge international co like Wonder Bread
2. Brumos is involved in pro racing in this area
3. Brumos did not build, own or sponsor this car ever
4. Although amateur/club level I am racing in their back yard

Anyway I was after the Brumos "look" not the Brumos name.

HH called to discuss it... did so, did so, did so, did so...
Old 11-22-2006, 03:00 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Most folks could likely do this and NOT inform them, and Brumhos wouldn't care - they're probably smart enough to know any name recognition is good name recognition. It's probably not too difficult to prove in court that they can't police the entire club/amateur racing world, leaving no stone unturned trying to look at every race car ever made, to look for potential infringement "out there". So there isn't a precedent against them if they try to defend the TM elsewhere.

Having brought it directly to their attention, though, you left them no choice. A stand-up move, for sure, but considering the potential legal issues down the road, not surprising. If you made a formal offer of $100K to license that little sticker, however, they would probably say yes.

So for everyone else, if you want to get a call from a famous team (but likely from a d*ckhead attorney), just use their TMs and then send them a picture of it in an email asking hey, is this ok?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Didnt read everything. Change it to Brun'os. just a little nick here and there with the razor. It will still give you the look of what you want and not infringe.

Like the fake rolex watches they sell on the streets of manhattan.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:53 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by chancecasey
(but likely from a d*ckhead attorney),
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:37 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Side note to Rick DeMan, since you are "here" Thank you for helping out a good friend at the Summit Point Club Race this year.
Folks, I was working Tech and doing new logbooks when a car came thorugh with the wrong type kill switch installed. No Pass as it would not kill the motor only cut the battery out of the loop. Cars owner is an older retired genuine good guy Potomac DE driver that I have known since his first DE to his getting better cars and the like as the track sickness set in and took hold. This was his first CR.QUOTE]

I was at tech during this and Rick was more than helpful. The conditions were awful to work in and I commend him on his helping hand. Truly in the spirit of club racing.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 853 Posts

Broom Hose

Broom Ho's
Old 11-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks guys....My pleasure..!! I like to think we are all one big family...

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com

Quick Reply: Plagiarism and graphics