Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lap timers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006 | 11:06 AM
Chulo
Racer

Default Lap timers

Has anyone used AIM's new(er) lap timer - the AIM MyChron? From what I can tell, it has been around in the cycle world for a while, and is new(er) to the car world. I'm shopping for a new setup, and am considering this setup, as well as the usual suspects, Intercomp, Hot Lap.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Ben
Old 11-19-2006 | 11:34 AM
kgorman
Drifting

I am using it, it's great. Get the long cable option when you order it. One nice thing is most every time I go out, someone has already put out a AIM transponder, so I never need to put mine out. Also consider the hardwire/powered version, I wish I got that one because of the backlighting.
Old 11-19-2006 | 11:36 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by kgorman
I am using it, it's great. Get the long cable option when you order it. One nice thing is most every time I go out, someone has already put out a AIM transponder, so I never need to put mine out. Also consider the hardwire/powered version, I wish I got that one because of the backlighting.
Thanks - the 12V version is like $100 more, but it sure does look nice. What is the long cable option for? Display?
Old 11-19-2006 | 11:54 AM
kgorman
Drifting

The long cable option allows you to put the 'eye' where ever you need it in the car. The normal option is very short for motorcycle application. I have mine routed back to the rollbar where it's mounted shooting out the side window.
Old 11-19-2006 | 12:08 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

How about this one:

AMB IT
Old 11-19-2006 | 12:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bill walczak
How about this one:

AMB IT
I was thinking of getting that one for next year for club racing as I already have the transponder. Do all tracks keep their built in AMB transmitters turned on (during DE's) or will it require a unit be put up? I already have an UltraLap but if I can get away with one solution without having to set up a transmitter I would sell it and get the AMB...
Old 11-19-2006 | 12:25 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I was thinking of getting that one for next year for club racing as I already have the transponder. Do all tracks keep their built in AMB transmitters turned on (during DE's) or will it require a unit be put up? I already have an UltraLap but if I can get away with one solution without having to set up a transmitter I would sell it and get the AMB...
Good question. Have no idea. Maybe someone on the list knows. I ordered one to try at Sebring in two weeks.
Old 11-19-2006 | 01:32 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I have no idea how you are ever able to even read the AIM IT display. It is small and hard to read just sitting there. Something to consider...
Old 11-19-2006 | 01:43 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

The AMB timing and scoring is not used by PCA during DE's. Liability issues related to timed events being considered "racing".

One other item to consider is that the AMB unit will erase your lap times when you shut off the power.

I've tried it and it's pretty good. It will give you your interval to the cars in front and behind you, which is useful.

Previously I had an Intercomp and the thing never worked.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2006 | 02:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I'll stick to my UltraLap then.. works perfectly.
Old 11-19-2006 | 04:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I know with Porsche Owners Club, the use the AMB system for the event timing....this means that you NEVER have to bring a transmitter to an event. Also with AMB, within hours after the event, my times are posted on the AMB web site: http://www.mylaps.com They ain't cheap at $500 a unit....
Old 11-19-2006 | 04:52 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by mklaskin
The AMB timing and scoring is not used by PCA during DE's. Liability issues related to timed events being considered "racing".

Previously I had an Intercomp and the thing never worked.

Good luck.
I wonder why Intercomp timers are so popular. I've heard many people with similar stories...
Old 11-19-2006 | 05:10 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chulo
I wonder why Intercomp timers are so popular. I've heard many people with similar stories...
I've got an Intercomp and have never had a problem with it in 2 years of use. I never have to set out a transmitter, it always picks up someone's. Plus, the times are easily downloaded into my computer.

I don't know who's xmitter (Hotlap or Intercomp) it is picking up, but I never have to worry about having left mine on track.
Old 11-19-2006 | 07:01 PM
jaydubya
Racer

I use this system from MaxQData - real-time lap times, no need for a beacon and you get GPS data too:

http://www.maxqdata.com/MQGPS.htm

You need a PDA though.

(I also have a AMB transponder for racing)
Old 11-19-2006 | 07:51 PM
kary993
Drifting

May I suggest a Racepak G2X unit? It is more than a timer but since many are spending many hundreds for a timer thought it might be useful to have more information such as segment times, track layouts, and other valuable data as well......

http://group9motorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=5131

Call if you have questions!

Quick Reply: Lap timers