Sponsored by:

OT: Racing Simulators

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Racing Simulators

I have done a seach on the topic of racing sims. I wanted to get a fresh update. What would you get for a good racing simulator set up . Assume I have nothing. No PC no Xbox etc. What would you go with? I saw a link for a cool seat/ frame set up somewhere. I have to replace my kids PC, so I was thinking of rolling it all togeather; but my guess is just going the Xbox route is easier. I would like to have multiple tracks available, and the ability for my kids to practice (shifting, clutch etc) Thanks.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought this one for my son (who has XBOX 360 and PS2 driving games:
http://www.bobearlracing.com/

There have been posted links to much more elaborate simulators, 3D motion rigs with 3 flat panel monitors....for $30K.

I seem to have a problem with non 'seat of the pants' feedback driving games.......I do a lot better in a real car than I do a game.......OK, I'm just making excuses for my 13 year old son (kart driver) regularly beating me in a racing sim.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

There are two PC based sims right now that are quite good, rFactor and GTR2. I prefer rFactor as there are a TON of free add-ons (different car types) and just about any track you can think of is available. The are about 5 different Carerra Cup mods out alone. Hardware is going to cost more going in than an XBox but the options are a lot better IMO. The one sim I am greatly looking forward to is this one being done and due out next year:
http://www.iracing.com
Old 11-12-2006, 02:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

More possibilities:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=C&ec=&topnav=
Old 11-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Now THAT is one overpriced mess! Forget the (useless) seat vibrator and you can get an ECCI wheel/pedal combo (with clutch) and a real Momo wheel (or use the one from your car) for $1500, buy a new Sparco seat (or use the one from your car), and do a little work from one of the varied plans out there and have a fairly good representation of a real car.

Sheesh, $4K for that,.. on SALE??
Old 11-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, simulators are good for fun, not much else. I used U.S.Army simulators for aver 20 years. From the Singer UH1 simulator to the digital DIGG simulator for the AH1 Cobra. Everyone I knew agreed that simulators are good for procedures, not learing to fly. When people asked me what it felt like to fly a simulator, the only answer I could give was that if was like dreaming about flying, not actually flying. Our simulators cost millions of dollars, but maybe if you figured in the Govt factor, that was probably about $4,000.

Anyway, I think simulators are a good way to learn which way a track goes, and that would be valuable for the Nurburgring. If someone wants them for fun, great, but you can't learn to drive on one.

Bill Seifert
1987 944S Race Car
Old 11-12-2006, 02:56 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drove the iRacing.com simulator for VIR last year at the PRI show in Orlando. IT WAS HARD.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Pc IMHO is MUCH better than console. rFactor is great for online stuff. GTR2 has a physics mod that is readily available that uses HP and Torque curves that are closer to the actual cars. It also has a compresive guide for the cars for things like optimum tire temps. The better the equipment, the better the experience. I have MS wheel, act labs gated shifter, and BRD Speed 7 pedals. I have posted pics up my set-up in other threads. I think tat there is much to be learned from SIM racing. No substitute for actual seat time, but there are advantages. If anyone wants a link to the mod, let me know. If anyone wants to run on-line, let me know (on-line is actually a blast..if you have not done it yet..I think you will be surprised.) Setting up the equuipment is a big part of this (just like a real car)
Old 11-12-2006, 06:42 PM
krC2S
Racer

never tried PC games so how do they compare in realism to gran tourismo on playstation?
most of the other console games i have seen are very far from GT games in realism and modeling
very arcadish IMO
Old 11-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

krC2S - I have yet to hear of any console game that compares to a PC racing sim in complexity or realism, but I admit I don't own a console so it's all heresay. All I can tell you is that for at least becoming familiar with the layout of a track a sim is a great tool. I also believe it help you with learning to look ahead, throttle steering and brake control. I am actually practicing left foot braking and I can say with great certainty I am a lot more confident in trying it in my real car than I was before. Force feedback equipment adds a bit to the immersion but it is ultimately up to the sims physics modeling that makes it.

Dr. Porsche - What mod do you use in rFactor? I have been using the 1979 F1 cars for the way they drive seems to approximate how I toss my SC around but I am open to anything. Let me know and we can hook up.. we are 1 hour time difference I believe. I haven't purchased GTR2 yet but it is inevitable..
Old 11-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
I drove the iRacing.com simulator for VIR last year at the PRI show in Orlando. IT WAS HARD.
Brian - their methodology of track modeling seems second to none, their net code is coming from the (still to this day) most solid base ever done, Papyrus's Nascar. Only question unanswered is their car's physics modeling and if running the open wheel trainers is worth the price of admission to those of us running sports cars as the big Nascar rigs and the other dirt track car they show isn't AFAIK... unless of course they add in a Sports car series..
Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Barfly
Racer

I have tried most of them. I have GT4 on PS2, Forza on Xbox, and rFactor and GTR2 on PC. The PC simulations provide the best feel and experience. With the difficulty settings cranked up, it can be much more challenging than with the alternative console options.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Gary, PM'd
Old 11-12-2006, 11:12 PM
krC2S
Racer

just saw some videos of rfactor and grt2 they "seem" to be less realistic than GT4 in terms of car dynamics i don't see any oversteer, understeer or any serious effect on cars with camber or elevation change ..so what do you guys think about that?

Gary i agree with using these games even if they are not great for the things you mentioned..and also
they are one of the few options i have in the winters of new england..track season is OVER!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by krC2S
just saw some videos of rfactor and grt2 they "seem" to be less realistic than GT4 in terms of car dynamics i don't see any oversteer, understeer or any serious effect on cars with camber or elevation change ..so what do you guys think about that?
You should try the GTR2 demo at Catalunya. Much more realistic than GT4. Turn 5, I believe is an uphill right hander where it is very easy to carry too much speed and end up spinning. The game is truly addictive and, I feel, has really enhanced muscle memory, ocular performance and mental preparation to practice putting in as near a faultless performance as possible while trying to gain on a competitor.

Quick Reply: OT: Racing Simulators