Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Racing Simulators

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only person who finds it harder to drive sims than the real thing?

mark's post is intriguing, Barcelona is one of my favorite tracks, however I don't really recognise his description, the corner in question, is not one where you 'carry too much speed', its one where some people get too hard on the throttle too soon (unless its the next corner, the official corner numbers are a little misleading). A sim based view of the circuit is another world

R+C
Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
No, you aren't alone... Without the real feedback a car gives you it takes time to equate what the sim car is telling you via sight and sound. A FF wheel helps a little but is just another sim sensation you learn. That's why I have come to really like rFactor. Choose one of the (50?) different types of cars (believe there are 5 different Carrera Cup mods alone), set the car up (or get a setup someone else did), and go learn a new track. The sights and sounds are as close as you can get, the "feel" of the car can be adjusted 100 different ways. I'm quite excited about the upcoming iRacing sim simply because it will have most if not all of the PCA Club Racing tracks and the super-accurate way they are going about modeling them (as described on their site).. even doing all THREE of Summit Point's tracks! I hope to get into their beta test program this winter.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:13 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I find a significant difference between sim and real driving. I recently spent almost 2 hours in a Ferrari driving game at a Dave & Busters . It was a blast but I can tell you it was very different than driving a real car. It does help you learn the lines of a track but the responsiveness of the vehicle is vastly different.

Interesting that my 13 year son had faster lap times each and every race.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I have come to really like rFactor. Choose one of the (50?) different types of cars (believe there are 5 different Carrera Cup mods alone), set the car up (or get a setup someone else did), and go learn a new track. The sights and sounds are as close as you can get, the "feel" of the car can be adjusted 100 different ways.
I could have a little more confidence in them if they called Northamptonshire Silverstone and if their selection of tracks mentioned on their web site was less eccentric, and 2 Gigs of RAM?????

R+C
Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Remember ALL those tracks and mods are done by the rfactor community and are F R E E. If you are on this forum and find two GB of RAM for your computer to be excessive or too expensive... do you run a car on the track much?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
If you are on this forum and find two GB of RAM for your computer to be excessive or too expensive... do you run a car on the track much?
its not the expense, its the waste, I used to write code at one stage of my life

R+C
Old 11-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Ahhh... I'm an old Assembly man myself... the days of compact code and minimal footprint are long gone...
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
I find a significant difference between sim and real driving. I recently spent almost 2 hours in a Ferrari driving game at a Dave & Busters . It was a blast but I can tell you it was very different than driving a real car. It does help you learn the lines of a track but the responsiveness of the vehicle is vastly different.

Interesting that my 13 year son had faster lap times each and every race.
The games at D&B are just that..games. They are meant to be fun for lots of people. There are not more "Sims" out there because of the small market for something like GPL, rFactor, and netKar Pro (where the cockpit is interactive...you have to know how to start the car, and the tires get flat spotted and pick-up gravel/dirt). Most people do not want to wait for the tires to warm up, or compensate for weight transfer as fuel is expended.

When I started to do the online stuff years ago, I was very surprised that it was not full of kids driving around, but 99% adults who had real-life racing experiance.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Late in on this, but if it is a sim you want and you have the cash, go get one of these. Check out the vid it looks like a lot of fun!

Force Dynamics
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

mark's post is intriguing, Barcelona is one of my favorite tracks, however I don't really recognise his description, the corner in question, is not one where you 'carry too much speed', its one where some people get too hard on the throttle too soon (unless its the next corner, the official corner numbers are a little misleading). A sim based view of the circuit is another world
Sims are def harder for me, but I feel that if I can do a sim well, I should be able to drie even better with all of the spatial, inertial, etc. feedback that real life offers.

You are right about that corner. Getting on the throttle too soon is the issue. Posted late after driving for hours on end on a road trip with my brain yearning for la-la land.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:16 AM
krC2S
Racer

i just tried the demo of GTR 2 and although it's nice i am not sure if it's more realistic than gran tourismo as many people here( and elsewhere say).. i kept going in hot and lifting and no oversteer whatsoever..power oversteer happens alot in this game though

could anyone who played it comment?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

You are right about that corner. Getting on the throttle too soon is the issue.
I have seen a very well known Austrian athelete during training for a Supercup race later in the year, plant his foot too early in this corner and having to be airlifted to hospital, brand new car, first day on track, a complete right off. The kitty litter on this corner appears not to slow you up.

R+C
Old 11-20-2006, 07:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, here is another one, found on the Speedvision auto racing news section, advertising that they will be showing at PRI:
http://www.bugeyetech.com/products-d...simulation.php
Old 11-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Are you using a wheel? Have you played with the set-ups? Which car are you driving?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well THIS looks interesting.....
http://www.iracing.com/company.htm

They even have Lime Rock and a Skippy R/T2000 car....

Quick Reply: OT: Racing Simulators