Sponsored by:

PCA club racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:40 PM
mji911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA club racing

Hey guys; How about some feedback on a points system for Club Racing? After Daytona and the amount of money spent for the entire weekend I believe that podiums deserved more than just a cap. PCA National does not want it to be to competitive and racing just for the trophy, but from what I have noticed it will be competitive if nothing was given. Insitute a points system for the major races and maybe a banquet at the end of the season. Pro and cons appreciated
Old 11-06-2006, 09:52 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hats for podiums? I think you only got a hat if you won...
Old 11-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have raced inboard hydroplanes in the APBA Limited classes, both 5 liter and 7 Liter in an earlier life, where there is/was a National High Point system for podiums, regionals and nationals. I will say that it didn't make any difference to me in each race at the time. What it did do was impact the number of races many people attended. Get ready for a LOT of windshield time!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I heard about someone who just went to a trophy shop and had his own trophies made up after he won a race. Heard he had a whole room full of giant sparkling PCA race trophies. No it was not me either ..... So you could always do that if you wanted something to immortalize.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand the attraction. My wife calls those things "dustibles".
Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

I think the idea of not rewarding those who podium is totally unfar. Ive gone to races where the host region spends tons of money on renting tents for the "awards banquet" only to have a hand full of racers and the whole contingent of works attend. At the end of the evening they announce the "winners" and then hand out a bunch of hants donatted by sponsors as door prizes. I agree something more needs to be done and I think some type of points system might work.If nothing else PCA needs to address the fact that we/racers spend ALOT of money for very little return other then a good time.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:40 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Join NASA and you get to race for points and trophies.hoping to get the gtc1 guys to do the NASA Glen event.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

roketman:
You should get the GTC1 contingent to do a NASA event at Summit Point. Lots of fast BMWs to play with in GTS.

The GTS Challenge looks fun and there seem to be more PCA Club racers showing up. I plan on running some a few GTS races next year when my motor is done.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:08 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The probelm with a PCA points system is that the races are too far spread out. You can't expect soem to run even 80% of all the races over the country. You would have to do it by PCA zones or some combination of 2-3 zones to create points "regions". That would mean some Club race "regions" may have 6 races and other may have only 2. Or some may have 6 races in a one day tow, but others may only have 2. They tired to make a "series" for the GTC guys a couple years back and it failed. Even those guys who had budgets and did alot of travel to races still complained about which races were in the "series" and how much travel one guy had vs another. If it did not work those guys, I am not sure how it will work for the guys with smaller budgets.

I think points series really work well if you have enough races in your local area. If you have 7-12 events in a one day tow for large racer population then you can have a nice series. 2-3 is just not enough.

I do however think that PCA should allow and encourage trinkets (ie hats or other) for podium spots in class. They need not be nor should be "high dollar" stuff ($20 MAX), but something for you to remember your weekend by would be nice.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plus - NASA has trophy girls :-)

Last edited by Matt Marks; 11-07-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Joe has it nailed

PCA is never going to accept a rewards system because it is a club concept for owners and they will never stray too far from that. They did however bring NASA in to serve the need for league concept racing. The PCA CR is total volunteer based and to run a league with points and have to cover the entire US is a major accounting task to say the least. Many regions can barely break even at their CR events so the notion of a reward is not easy.

I do feel that something is needed to reward the drivers for their podiums perhaps the only way is for the entrants at a event is to pay a "prize fund fee" say 5 to 10 bucks and then obtain a company who will provide trophies designed for PCA CR and purchase the trophies with this fund. It would be a regional run deal but if all regions used one trophy company just may enable a good deal and nice momentos to boot. I can see paying the extra money at the time of registration just to help the cause, I am certain others would have no issue chipping in a bit to make it happen!

Dal
Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

I do feel that something is needed to reward the drivers for their podiums perhaps the only way is for the entrants at a event is to pay a "prize fund fee" say 5 to 10 bucks and then obtain a company who will provide trophies designed for PCA CR and purchase the trophies with this fund. Dal[/QUOTE]

Mine as well raise the entrance fee $5-$10 for everyone, AND include the Trophy Girls. Bet we would have a much higher turn out for Sundays awards. Some may object but its the cost of racing.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:24 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

In my experience, trophies are given out about 60% of the time. IMHO any momento is really fine, so long as it actually says the name of the race and the place you finished. I personally would ditch 90% of the door prizes, and just get decent trophies and a few large door prizes.

The Sunday awards will always be less well attended because of people trying to leave early. Not much is going to change that.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hello Guys,

Would agree that PCA needs to have if not a point system at least a better awards system for those that participate. It would go over much better with family members in understanding the madness.. that we Do!
plus it is evidence that we really do participate in such madness , apart from the cancelled checks
Old 11-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Colin, It was worth hanging around sunday. I won some free Hoosiers.

Quick Reply: PCA club racing