Sponsored by:

Passing in the Braking Zone

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passing in the Braking Zone

With each race, I understand more how much racecraft I need to learn.

I just read an incredible article that gives the type of advice that newbies like me really need to hear. See page 8 of http://www.pca.org/clubrace/newsletters/CRN-2006.3.pdf for an outstanding article by Bill Chadwick. It is too bad that there are not more articles like this one, because I think it would help newbies be safer on the track and understand what is expected of them.

I am starting this thread to try to get the same type of advice regarding passing in the braking zone. So . . . here goes:

During the Enduro, I got stuck behind higher HP cars that were taking corners far slower than I typically do. I tried several different ways to pass in successive laps, but most of the time I tried to get around them at T1, and between T5-T9. Although I could usually get next to them, I frequently could not make the pass stick because they would pull away when we got to the corner exit, and I would not catch them again until the following corner/braking zone.

Now that I have seen my video a few times, it is clear to me that I must start focusing more on passing in the braking zones, since that is my advantage in the n/a 944. Since I am used to taking corners faster than these cars, I should basically brake later and put myself on the inside (or outside as the case may be) of the corner, particularly because most of these drivers leave that door wide open for me and everyone else. They must be nervous about the corner anyway or they wouldn't be taking it so slowly.

So, here are my questions:

What separates a good racing move from a boneheaded risky jerk dive-bomb?

What can you do to help ensure the safety of all drivers when you are trying to pass someone by braking later into the corner? I have T1, T3, T9 and T10 of Summit Point in mind, but the advice could help anywhere.

Are there any classic rookie errors? Any other sage racing advice?

BTW, even though I couldn't hang with him for long, I really enjoyed driving with Greg Merril (I think that is the guy with Edvard Munch's "the Scream" on his 911). Although I am not fast yet, I am very track aware. Nonetheless, I noticed that Greg was extremely predictable and very good about letting you know he was there by revving his motor and other moves. I already knew he was there but it was still a good idea since he has no idea what I know.

TD

P.S. I have a serious case of HP envy. That just means I need to stay in the low HP gutter for a long time until I can drive well without it.

Last edited by TD in DC; 10-17-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:34 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

TD read my race report I posed in the 944 forums (Az 944 spec race). I talk through a pass I waited 10 laps to make on a competitor and that took 3/4 a lap to stick.

I did alot passing this weekend and it reminded me that a pass the cumination of the effort not the start. Setting up the pass very important and if done well can make the difference between a "safe" pass and an apparent "dive bomb".

Patience young Jedi... patience
Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
So, here are my questions:

Success.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:04 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL... i think scaring the drivers a little bit beforehand makes them re-think "fighting" you for the spot... also going in deep enough and slowly inching towards them at trackout seems to work well. not to be a complete pratt, you may want to make sure they have *just enough* room to not get on the grass.... but not much more
Old 10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
jim3
Instructor

Having club raced since 1994 in a 944 and 944S, the first secret is lagging back in the corner leading onto the straight that you want to outbrake in the following corner so that you can charge thru the corner with as much closing momentum as possible. If you follow too closely, a higher powered car will pull away from you so that you can't get close enough to get even with them in the braking zone. If you're even they can't turn in on you and you just block their path to the apex. Whil;e there are corners that you can go side by side, there aren't all that many. In practice, spend time doing late braking bonzai inside maneuvers (particularly on throw away laps when your lap is already spoiled. Pick out your spot so that when the opportunity presents itself, you know how deep you can go without flat spotting your tires. In the race, don't telegraph you passing move too soon or you'll have an experienced racer heading to the inside to protect the passing line and giving you the outside where you'll have no hope of pulling off the pass. ( It's a great skill to learn to prevent being passed. I cant' tell you the number of higher powered cars I've held off over the years by tracking out and moving to protect the inside line on the following straightaway which is not blocking which will get you in trouble with everyone including the guy with the black flag at the start finish line)
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

i think td's problem w/ backing off to get a good run on people was that if he did that, the guys right behind him would've pounced on him thus preventing his little head of steam build up in the first place.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
LOL... i think scaring the drivers a little bit beforehand makes them re-think "fighting" you for the spot...
I would say you are correct on that. Remember most of the time the higher HP guys is simply not as good a driver and that is why he is in your way. So they maybe easier to spook.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:31 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by M758
So they maybe easier to spook.
from what i know about td, i think he doesn't consider that as the "racing" part of racing, though you're right. in my book, if it works, then it is.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

The best techniques are hidden in each racer's bag of tricks, which they are unlikely to discuss with anyone they might be racing against in the future.

The best techniques reveal themselves in race situations...so don't expect to find the answers in Burger King or at Amazon.com. Experience...and 'green flag' race time (not 'practice' or 'qualifying') are where you learn this. If you're an instant gratification freak, you'll be frustrated.

Suffice it to say...you're mostly trying to f#$ with the minds of the drivers in the 'faster' cars.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Yeah Prof I figured as much. I was focused more upon what is clearly "out of bounds" or "more likely to lead to a wreck" as opposed to what way works the best. Experience will teach me the most . . . but it is still helpful to know what things will have people talking about you in the wrong way.

I don't mind intimidating other drivers at all. I am intensely competitive, and the only thing I want more than to pass you is to be able to have a good time bs'ing with everyone back in the paddock. Little good it would do me to finish first in class all the time but be the guy that nobody wants around . . .
Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M758
I would say you are correct on that. Remember most of the time the higher HP guys is simply not as good a driver and that is why he is in your way. So they maybe easier to spook.
BINGO!

If the guy is not good enough to be as fast as you in a turn, he probably won't hold up under a situation where you exert force on him to relent to your demands. I would have NO PROBLEM gently squeezing such drivers to impress upon them that they should follow YOU for some laps and learn how a better driver takes a turn.

The degree to which these suggestions are applied depends on their willingness to learn. Short of "NASCAR-ing" them, that's about the best you can do as a Gentleman Racer.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
If you can safely get to the door handle of the other driver, then it is not a boneheaded move. If you can't and you don't give up the line, then it is. You should not be changing you braking point, rather just taking advantage of the other driver's early braking point.

Btw, outbraking is not always the best way to get past a higher hp car. You need to figure out where you can make a pass stick, and then plan backwards. For example, it would not make much sense to pass a faster car at the Glen in T1, as they will clearly out drag you thru the esses. Instead, try to set them up for a pass in the offcamber, so you can hopefully gain some distance thru the next 2 turns. Might even need to go on the outside of a turn in some cases.

Btw, as a "higher hp" car, this passing thing goes both ways. There are plenty of low hp drivers that automagically think they are faster than me thru a corner, when they are in fact not. So don't always try to race a fast car into a corner as you are getting passed. It's annoying and only slows you both down. If you see the leader come around, figure out how to get passed without losing too much time. I passed a slower car in the Kink at Road america this year, and had a 1/2 car ahead of him at the apex. But rather than giving up, he just stayed on the outside. Ultimated he almost lost it and reduced his straight line speed down the back straight. He would have been better off "giving up" and tucking in behind me to get a tow. So learn where you are in your group. If you don't know who the faster cars are after a couple of practice runs, then you just aren't very track aware. (not directed at anyone in particular...)
Old 10-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

TD, the key, IMHO, is planning your move WELL in advance, and then placing your car, safely, at the exit of the corner where you out-braked your opponent so that he cannot beat you out with HP. That means entering the corner off line & exiting on line, and making the transition smoothly. It also means not outbraking yourself & going off, as well as not staying on the same passing line at exit (often early apex) and going off. Watch the guy for a number of turns to see how he turns in, whether he is being defensive, etc. Plan your move backwards, from the following straightaway back.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks Colin. Good points.

I never raced clearly faster cars through the corners, although I did not go off my line simply in an effort to get them by. I am talking about a couple of cars that I got stuck behind for 10-20 laps during the enduro.

At summit, the "easiest" corner for me to pass these cars would have been T10 because this corner seemed to bother both drivers. I also noticed that neither seemed to get down to the apex consistently, which left me room. That said, T10 can be a little dangerous and I just assumed they would drag me down the front straight. That said, I believe that T10 is where Dennis Dolsen and Dennis Wasser got by these cars, and they were able to make the pass stick. IIRC, they also tagged onto some faster 911s and took advantage of the traffic. I tried to follow but didn't have a good enough run to stay hooked to that train.

T3 seemed like a better candidate, but I sometimes couldn't get close enough after the run they had after T2. They both took T4 way slower than I typically do, but I guess I just didn't have big enough ***** to try to pass going down the chute into T5. Seems like a relatively high risk area, although the reward would be tremendous if you can pull it off because I could create some serious space between T5 and T9, which might well give me enough space to get a really good run at T10 so that I could make it to T1.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
from what i know about td, i think he doesn't consider that as the "racing" part of racing, though you're right. in my book, if it works, then it is.

Racing is more mind games than actual driving. Sure driving gets you there, but getting into someones head is an essential part of making a pass. Of course "spooking" is only one method. There are many many others. If racing were down to just who is faster then we could just do qualfying then all go home.

Quick Reply: Passing in the Braking Zone