Sponsored by:

Daytona USA '06 Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:54 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Larry:

Congratulations on your win today. My strategy "almost" worked. I went in early and tried to gap the higher hp cars hoping for help "a little later" in the race. Chris broke a control arm and lost his chance to race you for the win and ended the race early. I was penalized one lap along with the a 993 Cup Car and a prepared car as we raced up to the double yellow at start/finish. The corner worker at the bus stop dropped double yellows after we went through and we did not see the lights as the sun made it hard to see on Nascar 3 & 4. I am going to plead my case to the steward. It dropped me to 8th in class (4 spots dropped) plus I lost 14 seconds in the pits (another spot). It was a great weekend and you got more out of your car than anyone I raced against. Happy Birthday!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:48 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Surreal speed as You turn through the trioval, wait for the 150-125 ft marker and brake into 1 at @175 mph when You got it right in the 997 Cup.

Some very bad offs today, serious track.

We all need to share with each other the need to make a fundamental rule of only one move. You get one move, up or down, left or right, then You have to stay there until You are passed or apex the corner. It is common practice amongst real racers and we need this club to embrace it immediately and enforce it. One move, share it with Your Race Friends, practice it yourselves. We all benefit from it. It can save lives and equipment.

The costs for errors is high in the game we have all chosen to play...

GodSpeed,
Old 10-16-2006, 06:55 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Surreal speed as You turn through the trioval, wait for the 150-125 ft marker and brake into 1 at @175 mph when You got it right in the 997 Cup.

Some very bad offs today, serious track.

We all need to share with each other the need to make a fundamental rule of only one move. You get one move, up or down, left or right, then You have to stay there until You are passed or apex the corner. It is common practice amongst real racers and we need this club to embrace it immediately and enforce it. One move, share it with Your Race Friends, practice it yourselves. We all benefit from it. It can save lives and equipment.

The costs for errors is high in the game we have all chosen to play...

GodSpeed,

Wow, Glen, I left before the last enduro. Were there bad incidents in the last race caused by blocking, etc? The big off in the purple enduro seemed to be a single driver error only, not a result of "racing".

Cool on the hat, Larry. I hope I can have the organizers send me mine. I'd like to have my second...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:56 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...aaah, another weekend, another race under my belt. I love racing and on a track like Daytona it is icing on the cake. The weather couldn't have been any better. I was able to run into a few of you around the garages and wish I could have seen more. Maybe next race!

My favorite line for the weekend came while walking through Daytona USA Saturday night. Richard Petty said: "When did they invent car racing? The minute the second car was made."
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DHinkle
Congratulations on your win today. My strategy "almost" worked.
Well your start sure worked. All I saw was this blue streak flying way up past everyone. You must have picked up 7 or 8 places right off the bat! That was some real crafty driving.

BTW, it was a pleasure to meet you and your boys. I love it when my boys come to watch me race too. Seeing as how we all do DE's together, and they want to start racing, I guess that pretty soon it will be the other way around.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow Larry, that great driving with that new motor is working out real well. Have you done any suspension work to the car since you've had it? Great stuff.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Can't wait to see Leh's video again.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

"We all need to share with each other the need to make a fundamental rule of only one move. You get one move, up or down, left or right, then You have to stay there until You are passed or apex the corner. It is common practice amongst real racers and we need this club to embrace it immediately and enforce it. One move, share it with Your Race Friends, practice it yourselves. We all benefit from it. It can save lives and equipment."

Glen,

It was great to finally meet you! And yes, your comment is right on. That happened to me in turn 4 with another cup driver who made 3 block moves in the banking at over 160 mph knowing damn well he was going to get passed. Scary stuff!

But it was an awesome weekend with great weather at one bad *** fast race track. We are indeed lucky people!

Anybody have the Gold enduro race results yet?

JL
Old 10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Watching all the racers on Saturday was a blast. Leh Keen was incredible. Congrats to the class winners.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Anybody know when results will be posted?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:41 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad that most of you made it through the weekend ok. Seeing all the carnage, I'm glad I stayed home.

How did the Michelins hold up on the cup cars? Any blow outs or delaminations?

Glen, let me know how you liked Brent's 997!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Eon S.--this is for you. A pic taken at Suncoast Region's DE at Sebring last month. It's driven by Rich Tillotson, Suncoast Region Chief Driving Instructor and head of the 911 Carrera 74'-75' National Register.

I'll post more pics from Daytona and describe my adventures as Corner Captain at turn 5 as soon as I get the pics.

Regards, Doug
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Colin and Crew Thanks so much for keeping us Green with Envy people Posted on the race. Cant tell you how much I appreciated that.

Colin glad the car turned out to be on the minor side, guess they 13nd ya for that one.

Glen great comment on the "One Move" practice. Had an almost incident at SP race due to slower car making "Many Moves", its on my video a white 911 I almost rearended on top of t3.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Hey - does anyone have the name, number or email address of the outfit taking digital pix at Daytona this past weekend? I hear it is a husband and wife team that has done a great job with several PCA races and sell the digital photos of your car on a CD.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by healeyg
Hey - does anyone have the name, number or email address of the outfit taking digital pix at Daytona this past weekend? I hear it is a husband and wife team that has done a great job with several PCA races and sell the digital photos of your car on a CD.

Thanks
Colour Tech Motorsports Photography South. 407-325-2520 or go to their website colourtechsouth@yahoo.com
I have purchased a cd of my car pictures from the 48 Hours at Sebring event and they were very good.

Quick Reply: Daytona USA '06 Update