Sponsored by:

1st Club Race is Hallett

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Club Race is Hallett

Hi all, my first club race will be next weekend @ Hallett. Any words of wisdom for a rookie? I drive an 86' 911 F stock.

Also thanks to everyone who help me along the way: West, Caren, Jim T, Steve B, and George A.

Side note: Greg it was nice meeting you @ TWS last weekend. You drive that BMW very well but I still think you should make the switch to a p-car...........
Old 10-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Good luck!!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have good brakes or you'll leave Hallett with warped rotors.

We'll be for DE Friday and Saturday, corner work on Sunday.

You can go to www.hallettracing.com and click on "About Hallett" and get video of the laps CW and CCW. This event will be run CCW and get an idea of the lines. Hallett is mostly late entry on the turns but a couple are standard apex.

Last edited by Ski; 10-07-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:43 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Congrats!!!!!! My only words of wisdom are: Have fun. Remember, we are adults playing a kids game. Enjoy it and don't get overwhelmed. F class is one of the best ones around locally, you will do well. I've got a video of one session going the opposite direction of the norm (I'm not sure if that's CW or CCW). It's from last year when my diff fell apart and I never got to race.

G.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. We'll be up Friday for the test/tune. My goal for the weekend is to finish and not receive a 13.
I downloaded the video off the Hallett website. I've heard the track has been resurfaced. Are the brake zone numbers still painted on the track? Have any reference points been removed/added; like the tree @ turn 4 (?)?

George: If you get a chance, put a link to your video up.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Congrats!!!!!! My only words of wisdom are: Have fun. Remember, we are adults playing a kids game. Enjoy it and don't get overwhelmed.

G.
Well-said.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I heard certian areas have been resurfaced and the curbing/runnoff repainted - not sure if the numbers are there but I would bet so.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:07 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure you want to look at my video, we did the track clockwise last year. It sounds like its going to be ccw this year.

But just in case you do, here is the link: Hallett CW

It's the only session I got on film before my diff broke. I used a friends camera and it didn't take the best video, it sat up too high.

George
Old 10-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Ski: thanks for the schedule.

George: I just got finished watching your video. It is CW but I was able to see the elevation changes that the CCW Hallett video does not represent very well. I understand now how the place is hard on brakes. It will be interesting to see how my car reacts. It does not have a splitter or rear spoiler so it gets a little light at times. At MSR the car will get light in two place of the new section and @ TWS it gets a little twitchy on the high bank going into 1 if it is windy.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:22 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Give 'em hell!!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:26 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

While a large number of Mavericks are headed out to Daytona, we still have quite a few headed up to Hallett. I'm looking forward to heading back to one of my favorite tracks. Holler if you need anything, I'll be parked with 2 F and a G car in raceports #13 and #14. It should be a great weekend.

-Noby
Old 10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

jwl and myself will be somewhere with a big Fortravel motorhome, tan with brown stripes, red and white checkered flag graphic trailer and you can't miss the lime green on the car. Last time parked behind the stands in/out of the "bitch". I can already smell breakfast cooking...

I think a lot of people are staying at the Hampton Inn. I have a room for all three nights but I may stay in the motorhome. If the Hampton Inn is full and someone needs a room, let me know -my wife and child are not coming; Homecoming weekend.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Jess
Instructor

W-Kid

If you haven't driven Hallett before, it's a technical track that rewards smoothness and courage over horse power. While it is considered one of the smaller PCA races, it is definitely of my favorites. The track is fun, it's a low-key event and the people running it are great. Try to park as far from a PA speaker as possible. You'll know why soon enough!

When it comes to race time, just try to avoid the "red mist" (I know those who know me are laughing right now!) and drive your line. Faster cars behind you will find a way around as long as you don't surpise them by being nice.

If I can help you with anything at the track (parts, advice, tools, etc.) please look me up!

Jess
Yellow SC #101 F stock (really)
Old 10-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Waco Kid
Advanced

A friend of mine is running as well so were hauling both cars with his rig. I'm not sure where we will be parked but I'll look everyone up at some point in time over the weekend.

Anybody know anthing about the Budget ZZZZ hotel? My friend has stayed there before and said it was clean. The reason I ask is because the female half of the Waco Gang "might" show up for the weekend.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Jess
Instructor

Can't help you on the ZZZZ.

We always sleep at the track in our trailers. Hallett has showers, the hotels are far away and the cafe makes some very decent meals.

ps. Noby, what's the latest word on Steve W's condition?

Jess

Quick Reply: 1st Club Race is Hallett