Sponsored by:

Tie down straps

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:10 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie down straps

I'm getting ready for my first DE in Nov at Sebring and have just bought a trailer. I have not yet bought tie down straps and was wondering if anyone here uses the over the wheel type? My car already has the tabs installed to tie it down with conventional type straps, but I have read that it can be hard on shocks to have them compressed for long periods of time on a trailer. Any thoughts...

Dan.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDL
My car already has the tabs installed to tie it down with conventional type straps, but I have read that it can be hard on shocks to have them compressed for long periods of time on a trailer.
Old wives tail. Firstly, you really don't pull the car down very far, maybe an inch or so if it's really snugged down tight. And secondly, the shock doesn't care where it is in it's range, as log as it isn't bottomed out.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 PM
soldmystang
Advanced

check out saferacer.com

he has an assortment of sizes in 10k tie downs
Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the over the tire routine. They are too narrow and besides, the typical tie down is easier and faster IMHO.

Lots of on-line places sell them (but don't buy them at Lowes or Home Depot).
Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

+1 - I am very happy with the G-Force tie downs I ordered from SafeRacer.com:
http://www.saferacer.com/2ratiedo.html

Originally Posted by soldmystang
check out saferacer.com

he has an assortment of sizes in 10k tie downs
Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I could never use the over the wheel ones as the car was too low versus the D ring placement. I used to have long "axle" straps that I ran clear thru the tires but somehow managed to lose them. Anyway, now I have axle straps that are too short to do that so I wrap them around several wheel spokes. I try not to crank down too hard as I always wonder what this might be doing to my alignment.

I actually drove 3-4 miles one time before I realized I forgot to strap the car down. Luckily I left it in gear. I always try to tow with the car in neutral (and strapped down).
Old 10-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

I would reccomend tying to a control arm or other unspring peice. IMHO, tying to the chassis doesn't let the car move and puts more stress on the straps. Tie to a wheel or around the control arm.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I have used both the through the wheel and the chassis. Both work. I haven't tried over the tire and never will. It's too much work. My favorite is the chassis as I can tie the car down when hot and the straps don't loosen during towing.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I would reccomend tying to a control arm or other unspring peice. IMHO, tying to the chassis doesn't let the car move and puts more stress on the straps. Tie to a wheel or around the control arm.
I totally agree with what Matt is saying. I like to let the suspension work while it is tied down.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

how hard would you have to tighten the strap before you start worrying about bending pieces? i'm always scared that i've overtightened the straps and might bend a control arm or tie rod or pull a wheel out of alignment. is it even possible? i mean, rumors are always abound
Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

You don't have to go ridicuously tight. As long as the car doesn't move at all is probably tight enough.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also important is to check your straps everyonce and a while. I would check it after the first hundred miles and if it looks good then I would just make sure the straps are good every time you fill up or stop.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I strap my 944 down with 4 straps. Front two are to the factory tie down points tied to the frame. There rear are at two eyelets I installed in the rear corners of the car. I have been doing it like this for year and never had a problem. I also have been using straps I got at , heaven forbid, HOME DEPOT. Yep they are 10,000lbs rated wratching tie downs.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 PM
MDL
Racer

Wow, I'm kind of surprised that not one person uses the over the tire method, but I see there are good reasons why that is so. I never thought of them being hard to use or being to narrow. All good points. I guess I'll get myself 4 of the 10,000 lb straps and hook them to my D rings. Thanks for the feedback.

Dan.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:51 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No harm meant by getting some at HD or Lowes other than not getting the type that has the small non clipping ends. I saw a guy at VIR with those pull in and is car was about tp fall off the trailer. They were more like tie downs.

Originally Posted by M758
I strap my 944 down with 4 straps. Front two are to the factory tie down points tied to the frame. There rear are at two eyelets I installed in the rear corners of the car. I have been doing it like this for year and never had a problem. I also have been using straps I got at , heaven forbid, HOME DEPOT. Yep they are 10,000lbs rated wratching tie downs.

Quick Reply: Tie down straps