Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New/rebuilt turbo break-in procedures?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New/rebuilt turbo break-in procedures?

After installing a new or rebuilt turbo, they say you're supposed to limit boost for the first 100-200 miles. How do you guys with dedicated track cars do this...or don't you?

I just had my turbo rebuilt and don't want to do anything that will kill it. I'll prime the oil pump prior to the first startup, but what about tracking it right away?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:51 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

I drive mine on the streaat for an hour or so with no boost. If you boost it right away you will kill the seals for sure.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:37 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Since your car is a dedicated track car (I'm not sure your street advice is going to help there, Herr 38D), I'd suggest finding a nice DE and cruising around for a few sessions without engaging the boost.

The best driving for breaking in a new turbo is stop and go driving, frankly. But since it sounds like you can't do that on the street in your car, perhaps just cruising around a paddock would be a helpful first few miles.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:44 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. Yeah, no street driving for this car.

I guess my first track day next spring will be kinda boring. That's going to take a lot of self-restraint staying off the boost though. Kind of like confining Martha Stewart to house arrest and telling her she can't touch the stove, or the "sell" button on her computer.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The issue with turbo break in is that the sealing rings need to seat against the housing properly or they will leak. If you pound on the boost immediately, the thrust of the turbine shaft against the bearings and sealings may cause them to spin or rotate in their bore and they will not seal. You do want to provide some boost progressively so they will seat properly. Typically 50 miles is sufficient. So I would go out in a DE in the beginner group if your club will let you and progressively break in the turbo.

Quick Reply: New/rebuilt turbo break-in procedures?