Sponsored by:

Sports Car Country Clubs????

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sports Car Country Clubs????

Slightly OT but I figured this is the closest place since joining one would be a natural extension to DEs and Open track days.

So, my question to is have any of you looked into one, joined, etc?

My wife and are are doing some due diligence around the Alpine Motorsport Club near the Poconos in PA. Also, anyone know of any others closer to DC,MD,VA?

Would love to hear any opinions, the good, the bad, etc.

Thanks,

-Paul
Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

www.virclub.com

one of the best tracks in the country
Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m a member of the VIR club. The facility, staff and fellow members are awesome…I highly recommend it.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VIR is great and an excellent club, but a bit far away for me. Now, when Harvey and company finish Thunderbolt Raceway in Southern NJ (same Developer, same concept as VIR), that will be a different story!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a new track about to break ground in Grass Valley, Oregon, approximately 1.5-2 hours E/SE of Portland.

Called the Oregon Raceway, it looks pretty promising - multi phase development consisting of two road courses that can be used simultaneously, kart track, 3/8 mile oval, and drag strip. All the requisite support structures are also planned.

From the website, it looks like once the track opens (Aug 08 tentatively) they will be selling memberships like those mentioned above.

For those interested in more info, here is the site as it exists currently:

Oregon Raceway Park
Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those of you who ar VIR members. How does it work, it seems that you still pay for track days? Alpine includes unlimited track access and a garage for your car.

Also, VIRClub has it's own lodging, is that included or do you pay as you go?

We are also looking at it from the standpoint of what can we do there as a family with our 2 kids aged 3 and 1 1/2.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Not a member but it's all laid out pretty clearly on the web site... definately worth it if you live nearby.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pjalexandre
Those of you who ar VIR members. How does it work, it seems that you still pay for track days? Alpine includes unlimited track access and a garage for your car.

Also, VIRClub has it's own lodging, is that included or do you pay as you go?

We are also looking at it from the standpoint of what can we do there as a family with our 2 kids aged 3 and 1 1/2.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Not a member of either, but I have looked closely at VIR and Alpine. The big difference is in the up-front costs. I don't have either in front of me, but Alpine is much more expensive. However, Alpine is similar to a private golf country club, whereas VIR is similar to a semi-private club. At Alpine (if it is built) you make a reserved track time like a golf tee time. At VIr, there are days (15?) reserved for members, then the rest are open to rent by car clubs, pro racing sanctioning bodies, etc. Alpine was holding to no rental days for clubs (except a few local clubs) and no racing of any kind. Monthly dues also vary, as do the costs of the various amenities for members.

Quick Reply: Sports Car Country Clubs????