Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE newbie and I need some advice please....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:57 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE newbie and I need some advice please....

Hello all...

I have my 1st DE coming up and I want some advice on how I should set up the car...my first thought is to just go stock AS-IS but the PO gave me some items and not sure what to do... (I am going in with a very humble attitude and understand the weak point will be the driver and not the car, so please be gentle.... )

1) swap out tires/rims?? the PO gave me a set of used tires/rims (Toyo RA1) that he used for DE and I am not sure if I should use or not my first time out...research would suggest no, but thought i would ask since already have the tires/rims...i currently have Michelin Pilot AS tires

2) swap out brake pads??? again PO gave me his slightly used (2006) Pagid orange pads...

3) use older harnesses??? even bother first time or just use belts??? not sure if they are adjusted properly etc, seem to be dated from the 90's...

in process of bleeding brakes and clutch, torque lugnuts and, check pressure...anything else?? I will be reviewing the DE checklist later today and re-search the older posts again...

thanks again for the help
Bill
Old 09-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Your doing the right things.. flush brakes, torque lugs etc. DO not use track tires for first DE. Street tires give you more feedback before letting loose. Dont worry about the harness etc.. your job for the first time is to just get comfortable in repeating the correct line. Do not try to be a hero out there. ASK for feedback from your instructor. Think smooth and repeatable lines. Have fun!!
Old 09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

Bose-man: I disagree about using the harness. I think it's a good idea to get your seat time strapped in. You don't need track tires at this point in time but it won't hurt if you have them either. Your not likely to reach the limits of either street or track tires. The important thing about tires is adjusting inflation pressures and checking the tire contact hot. You'll be doing a lot of it as you learn to drive, so you might as well get in the habit. Roscoe is correct in advising to check your fluids, make certain the brake fluid has been FLUSHED which means more that sucking the dirty stuff out of ther reservoir. Flush it all with fresh new DOT4. Pay attention in the class room, study the line off and on track, learn to be smooth and consistent, watch your mirrors, get some track time in instuctor cars, relax and have fun.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:19 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Bill,
You're asking all the right questions. You've got a great car there, so you want to keep it that way. I would recommend that you start fresh with all fluids. When was the motor oil last changed? Ditto transmission fluid. I'd recommend 20/50 Mobil 1 motor oil. Flush the old brake fluid and put in new Super Blue or equivalent. Start your own log book making note of everything that's new. Oils, pads, tires, brake fluid, tire pressures .... etc. Everything you can think of. It's a starting point for future reference.
You should be fine using your street tires. They'll talk to you better at this stage than your RA1s. And you can save the RA1s for a bit later.
I would use the harnesses. You have the DAS roll bar ... and the harnesses are installed correctly I assume. They may be a few years old, but will offer better protection that the 3 points.
As to pads, whether you use streets or the Pagids, just make sure you have more than half the pad still there before you start. Once they go below half, they wear faster and don't dissapate heat as well.
You'll have a blast. Don't put yourself under any pressure. You're what is called green/green. You won't become an expert in one or two weekends, it takes time. Just have fun along the way.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:40 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have harnessess with stock seats, use the 3 point, or check with your instructor as to what they prefer. Some may say, use both. Racing seats will guide the harnesses and support you much better. Consider buying better pads and keeping the set given to you as "spares". If the car is used mainly on the street, get a performance street pad that will work for both. Steet tires, you will get more "feel" of the car.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

First day at de? I'd make sure that the car is running well, has a good tech including checking brakes and brake fluid and do nothing. You have so much to concentrate on, and so much to learn right now, and your car is so much more able than your skills that it's fine as is!!!! Drive the 3 points, the street tires, Make sure it's running well, complies with the tech rules of your region, and get a good night's sleep before the event.
Good ludk!!! If you come home with the permanent s-eating grin, then you're hooked. If you are, you'll have lots of time for all those mods and all that fussing that we do in the paddock!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:02 PM
cooz
Pro

good working brakes and appropriate tire pressures, helmut, driving gloves, and relax and have fun.

just listen, look, smell, and feel
Old 09-24-2006, 09:45 PM
agio
Racer

Bill, I would advocate:
1) No change at this point. But, as been said before, check that the pressures, wear and balance of the wheel and tires are what they are supposed to be.
2) No change needed here either provided your pads are not too worn and your rotors are in good condition.
3) Do not use "older harnesses" as they very well may be outdated as they do have a life span.
4) Great ideas: bleed your brakes and clutch, torque lugnuts and check pressure cold and make sure they are are the appropriate pressures, then check then when you come off of the track and write down these pressures. Tire pressures will vary depending on the make of tire, etc.
5) Also, do not miss the moring driver's meeting.
6) Pay close attention to your novice classroom instruction and your assigned instructor.
7) DE should always be safe, serious fun.
Oh, one more thing: report back to us and let us know how you've done.
Enjoy!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 PM
mpaton
Instructor

Originally Posted by boze_man
Hello all...

I have my 1st DE coming up and I want some advice on how I should set up the car...my first thought is to just go stock AS-IS but the PO gave me some items and not sure what to do... (I am going in with a very humble attitude and understand the weak point will be the driver and not the car, so please be gentle.... )

1) swap out tires/rims?? the PO gave me a set of used tires/rims (Toyo RA1) that he used for DE and I am not sure if I should use or not my first time out...research would suggest no, but thought i would ask since already have the tires/rims...i currently have Michelin Pilot AS tires

2) swap out brake pads??? again PO gave me his slightly used (2006) Pagid orange pads...

3) use older harnesses??? even bother first time or just use belts??? not sure if they are adjusted properly etc, seem to be dated from the 90's...

in process of bleeding brakes and clutch, torque lugnuts and, check pressure...anything else?? I will be reviewing the DE checklist later today and re-search the older posts again...

thanks again for the help
Bill
Hi Bill,
I'm probably only going to be repeating what everybody else has said, but as I see you're from Houston, I'm going to guess that you'll be joining us at TWS next weekend for the Lone Star DE. I'll be instructing there, leading Team 5.

Keep the Toyos; if you get hooked, then you'll get to use them, but we'd really rather you didn't use them to begin with. We want to see you build a feel for what your car is doing through the corners, and it's much easier to do that at the slightly slower speeds that your street tires will give you. And if it rains, your street tires will be the best thing.

Stock pads are going to be fine. TWS is not very hard on brakes. If you haven't had a fluid flush in the last 6 months, then have one done.

Harnesses really shouldn't be necessary. Especially as they may be too old to be safe, and especially as you don't say if you have a set for your instructor. Lone Star region, like most of Texas demands equal protection for student and instructor, so if you don't have 2 properly installed usable sets, then I would say leave them at home this time. But if you have 2 sets and it makes you comfortable, then by all means use them.

You don't mention if you have your own helmet. Lone Star does have loaners, but only a limited amount, and it's important to be comfortable in it, so if you don't have one, see if you can find one that fits you. just make sure it is marked Snell M2000, M2005, SA2000 or SA2005.

www.lsrpca.com has a lot of useful information about DE, even if I'm wrong about where you're headed.

Michael Paton
Old 09-25-2006, 01:49 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by agio
Bill, I would advocate:
1) No change at this point. But, as been said before, check that the pressures, wear and balance of the wheel and tires are what they are supposed to be.
2) No change needed here either provided your pads are not too worn and your rotors are in good condition.
3) Do not use "older harnesses" as they very well may be outdated as they do have a life span.
4) Great ideas: bleed your brakes and clutch, torque lugnuts and check pressure cold and make sure they are are the appropriate pressures, then check then when you come off of the track and write down these pressures. Tire pressures will vary depending on the make of tire, etc.
5) Also, do not miss the moring driver's meeting.
6) Pay close attention to your novice classroom instruction and your assigned instructor.
7) DE should always be safe, serious fun.
Oh, one more thing: report back to us and let us know how you've done.
Enjoy!
What he said.

Bro
Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

I've only done 1 DE (looking forward to my 2nd in a few weeks) so maybe I'm underqualified to respond, but on the other hand, some of my newbie impressions may be fresher than you other guys...

Bill, my advice would be not to sweat the technical stuff too much (other than the obvious stuff like tire pressures, brake fluid, etc.). You will have so much going on at once, it's not really the time for learning how to use a harness if you never have before. Simple stuff that you literally never think about, like shifting and hand placement, you find yourself learning all over again. And periodically checking the gauges. With all that, plus the helmet and the intercom, I had enough distractions and things demanding my attention that I was really grateful for the ordinariness of my street car. I had no trouble staying planted in my seat, because as a newbie in a new-to-me car, I wasn't pushing that hard.

But it'll be a different story next year...
Old 09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Rockhound has you covered. Simplify your task and clear your mind of extraneous worry. Check the car over well, use the stock brakes, tires, belts, etc., and go have fun. Only when you know from direct experience where the defficiencies in equipment lie can you make the right plan for correcting them... if there even are any at this point.

To enter all kinds of perceived need into things - based on other people's experiences - just obscures the real need; relaxation and concentration. Knowing that nothing will fall off is all you need for now. Go have a great time!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:40 PM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Well said John...
Old 09-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm finishing up my first year of DE/TT. My only differing opinion is on the harness - presuming it is properly mounted and no more than 5 years old, I'd want to use it. As your speeds increase, being strapped tightly into your seat helps you to focus on car control, and not gripping the wheel to keep yourself planted in your seat. You'll need to have an equal setup for your instructor.

Regardless - go have fun and welcome to the slippery slope...
Old 09-26-2006, 03:07 PM
smankow
Pro

I think that all of the above points are right on, including the comments about the belt life span of 5 years. Even if you feel comfortable, the tech inspection may prohibit their use. You should also talk to the track chair from the region to get the proper info for that region.

As for a few other points, you should print out a copy of the track map and study it so that you have a basic knowledge of the track. Also, I'd research track videos of this track (either trackpedia or video.google.com) and watch the video along with the track map understand the course. There will be a lot of info flowing around, but if you know the track, even a little bit, it will reduce some apprehension.

Either way, go out and have fun. Listen to the instructors and you'll have a safe, fun weekend. Good Luck,

Steve

Quick Reply: DE newbie and I need some advice please....