Sponsored by:

SP1,2,3 Class roll call

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default SP1,2,3 Class roll call

As many of you saw, PCA is looking for feedback on the SP classes. If you are a 944 racer these classes will allow multiple venues with multiple organizations so they only make sense. Obviously, however, PCA will kill the classes if there is not enough support. The attendance was minimal this year but I have talked to many racers who are either building, converting or planning to run their 944 cup/Spec 944 in SP next year. Please send PCA an email in support if you are one and post your plans here. My car will be SP2/944 Cup next year. I have two friends from my region who will do the same. Lets get these classes up and running!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:23 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last time I checked, Cris Brady and I had both signed up in SP2 for the Potomac PCA club race at Summit Point. I just hope the car is ready in time . . .
Old 09-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Please send PCA an email in support if you are one and post your plans here. My car will be SP2/944 Cup next year. I have two friends from my region who will do the same. Lets get these classes up and running!

Email who at PCA? address?

I plan to run a mix of SP3 and 944 SuperCup races next year
Old 09-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Here is the link to the rules proposals, click at the bottom to send an email:

http://www.pca.org/clubrace/2007_proposals.htm
Old 09-14-2006, 03:17 PM
svochuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SP1 I have 1 car done and 3 more on the way to race trim.

chuck
Old 09-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Hope your car is done. I cant make the PCA race but will be at the Cup race the following week.

Originally Posted by TD in DC
The last time I checked, Cris Brady and I had both signed up in SP2 for the Potomac PCA club race at Summit Point. I just hope the car is ready in time . . .
Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Me too. it is at the shop getting "beautified" as we speak.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure that I can reconcile the differences between being legal for PCA "F" class and competing in SP-3. A legal "F" class car might not be competitive in SP-3 without the permitted modifications that would render the car non-conforming for "F".

Not sure if I could run the "F" car in both classes and enter SP-3 within the same race? I think I'd be required to pick one or the other. I guess I'd rather take my lumps competing in "F", (it's not the car's fault, believe me), than win in SP-3 as the only entrant (which, presently, is what I'd be if I entered SP-3 for the Summit Point club race).

Ciao.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Richard.
Right now all the SP classes are new. I'd bet there are many many other guys out there looking at these classes eargly. The probelm is F, I, etc are all established. SP classes need brave folks to come out and race in them.

If you like SP better as you think it will make for better racing in the long run build to it and champion it. Then drivers will start coming out to play.

Hey I missed the first ever PCA SP1 race this year at my home track no less. At the end of last year I had given up runnign GT4 in my 944 and failed to renew my license and medical. I also planned a NASA race the following weekend. Well then along comes SP1 and everything I wanted, but I had to sit it out as I did not have the resources to pull that even after committing to a major out of town NASA event. Had I only known 2 months earlier. I wonder how many F guys show to a race thinking. "Damn... I had only known about SP3, 2 months ago." Even now I would suspect not every Club Racer knows about the SP classes.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:07 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe,

I hope you didn't feel I was in any way knocking the SP classes - not at all. I think they're great and if I can figure out what I can (and cannot do) to my 968 to allow me to legally race with the other SP's I will be very interested in joining the class. I did participate in 3 NASA NE Region 944Cup (supercup) races this summer with my car in PCA "F" class spec (meaning it was probably a little heavier then the permissible SP3 weight) and had fun (2 firsts and 1 second in SC class).

So, yes, I'm very interested in the new PCA SP classes and I certainly would hope that PCA will continue the class trial for at least 3 years to see how participation increases, which I am SURE it will. In fact, I think the SP classes will prove to be quite popular, especially as an entry level for newer PCA club race participants.

Ciao.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:42 AM
M758
Race Director

Richard... No I did not think you were knocking the classes, but have a legitmate concern. Why leave the nice full F to run in class with 1 or 2 other cars? That is very valid concern, but sadly when everyone else thinks like that nobody wins. It takes a few brave souls to try something new. After other see that then tend to follow, but most folks hate being first in a new class.

This something we are fighting all the time in SP1 and NASA 944 spec. There are plenty of "intertesed" people, but they get spooked when I say there are not 20 car fields all over the country. Of course how can we get 20 car fields of those who are "interested" never actually race.

I think you can apperciate and understand the situation.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:08 PM
cooz
Pro

when will we know if we will still have SP classes for next season?

cooz
aka
Norm mandell
968 that was set up for Nasa SC & PCA F
Old 09-19-2006, 12:17 PM
M758
Race Director

Well it did not seem like they were going to elminate the SP classes at least for next year. It takes time to build numbers and they have had most of this year and I would expect next year. At worst may they may be "on the block" for 2008 if they get poor feedback this year and low numbers next year. This is pure speculation however, but I would be VERY surprised to NOT see the SP classes available in 2007.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The revamping of GT also plays a part in providing a competitive place for the more modified front-engines to run.

In general, PCA has been about inclusion of the models, rather than separation. Generally (not always, of course), the continuum, from restrictive to non-restrictive, can be applied to all models. The rulebook stays thin.

SP1 fits in, because it is more restrictive than stock, and covers one detailed model.
Therefore, I am for these types of SPEC classes.

Meanwhile, SP2 and SP3 are "leveling" classes, which cross and duplicate classes (including possibly revamped GT classes) already in place. They weed out front-engines from H, I, E, F and make those basically 911 classes.

When one group of model owners feels their cars can’t compete, it may be better to work with the existing framework to solve these issues rather than setting a precedent of splitting models apart, style by style.

Lastly, if we need numbers to pay for a race, we can simply (or also) do joint races with other groups.

PM
Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I am registered for Daytona in a SP1 (944 Spec) 86 944. I've convinced the shop I deal with, MantisSport that race the Yellow Cayman S in PCA class D, to build rental SP1 cars. This is the first and a second donor car is being sought. I know that many will sneer at an SP1 car at Daytona, but hey it's what I can afford and I want to support this class as I truly believe that it will become very popular and provide great racing at low cost.

Quick Reply: SP1,2,3 Class roll call