Sponsored by:

GT3RS in Car Brands Hatch England.. check this guy out

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 PM
BIFFO
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS in Car Brands Hatch England.. check this guy out

More in car footage from the UK. Same Brit driver as in the wet video from Spa Belgium.

Check this out.

http://www.aqualifeleasing.co.uk/ima...e%20Brands.wmv
Old 09-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great video... the split screens are nice. The track looks like a kick.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is very smooth, with quiet hands, and quite fast when you compare him to the similar cars out there. It seems to me though, that he uses a lot of part throttle, and doesn't really have it floored until well around the turn, sometimes very close to trackout. I am a big proponant of early power, and that is the way I drove my GT3 for the 2 years that I had it. The sooner you could put it to the floor the better. I wonder if he isn't leaving some speed on the table.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
He is very smooth, with quiet hands, and quite fast when you compare him to the similar cars out there. It seems to me though, that he uses a lot of part throttle, and doesn't really have it floored until well around the turn, sometimes very close to trackout. I am a big proponant of early power, and that is the way I drove my GT3 for the 2 years that I had it. The sooner you could put it to the floor the better. I wonder if he isn't leaving some speed on the table.

I see it the exact same way.

That car needs to be on the power hard to get the proper rotation and to squat the rear. I gar-on-TEE that he is leaving time on the track.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

do most of you heel n toe the way he does it or do you use the right side of your right foot to get the throttle? i do it the way the video shows. but most of the ppl i drove with do it the other way. just curious.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:10 AM
BIFFO
Track Day

I read his article on wet driving. I think that the technique is carry a lot of entry speed into the corner and keeping the weight of the car transfered to the front to prevent the front pushing up to the apex, then floor the juice and transfer the weight to the rear wheels for the exit. It's how the supercup drivers do it. He says it's all about weight transfer. It's a technique common only to the 911 aparently.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I'm not sure how you could be expected to run full bore with that much VERY slow traffic. I would think you'd be a bit hamstrung in turning 100% laps in that circumstance. Brands also has a LOT of elevation changes, diving sweeping corners, etc. I'd love to drive it some day. You oughta watch a bike race there. Just insane.

That is the classic H&T style for this pedal configuration. If you can get your leg to bend that way, fine. Mine won't.

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BIFFO
I read his article on wet driving. I think that the technique is carry a lot of entry speed into the corner and keeping the weight of the car transfered to the front to prevent the front pushing up to the apex, then floor the juice and transfer the weight to the rear wheels for the exit. It's how the supercup drivers do it. He says it's all about weight transfer. It's a technique common only to the 911 aparently.
I'd like to read that article; remember that driving in the wet is not the same as in the dry, but I can see how with his technique he would be great in the rain.

911's like to corner under power, and are the least happy off-throttle (read trailing throttle oversteer). If you get rotation in a GT3 on turn entry, it will definitely not push up to the apex. And I can't beleive that the supercup drivers are not on the floor earlier than that.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'd like to read that article; remember that driving in the wet is not the same as in the dry, but I can see how with his technique he would be great in the rain.

911's like to corner under power, and are the least happy off-throttle (read trailing throttle oversteer). If you get rotation in a GT3 on turn entry, it will definitely not push up to the apex. And I can't beleive that the supercup drivers are not on the floor earlier than that.

+1. As an aside, what a beautiful track!

As for the heel/toe question, for me at least, it depends on the car & how the pedals & pedalbox is set up. I have large feet, so I can recall heel/toeing at least 3 different ways in various cars.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:30 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

The driver, Steve rance, is seriously quick and I mean seriously quick!

You should be aware that there were lots of editing issues and that the 3 screens you see don't marry up that well. it might give the impression of not getting back on the power early. However, here are a few comments from the man himself, edited and lifted from another site we both post on

With regard to the early down change, that is intentional and a technique that many cup drivers use including Richard Westbrook. It helps load the nose and steals a few meters under braking.
Also re; turn in. If you watch the vid, you will see me working the car to get it turned in. Everything is done on a trail brake or trail throttle to load the nose. If you look at the data traces, speed is mostly constant to the apex and then I nail the throttle. If I got on the power earlier, I just understeer past the apex, have to lift to get front grip and then go straight into oversteer because the rear would be unloaded.

what a rubix cube of a car. but it's why i'm in love with it.
And if you are wondering about his experience on the circuit..........

I
have a lot of experience at Brands, I instructed there for a fair while and was a works driver for a Formular ford manufacturer based yards from the circuit so we tested there often and on several occasions we tested under the lap record there so I'm confident that I know the place pretty well.
Knowing Steve's background and ability, I doubt there are many who would pedal a GT3 RS quicker around Brands and I would include the top Porsche pros in that statement as well. It just shows that trying to put a video together like that doesn't always work well neough to convey just how well the car is being driven. Small syncing issues change the view greatly.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Then with his talent, it could be that he is driving around the car. My GT3 with -3.25 degrees camber in the front did NOT understeer, and you could get on the power early even in the long sweepers at the Glen. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Larry, maybe it's because the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car...

Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Try watching the video in a mirror!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Just to add that Steve's car is far from standard Knowing him and who set the car up, it would be deliberately set up the way it is because the set up gives the quickest lap times. I will see if I can get more on his car later
Old 09-14-2006, 11:07 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Try watching the video in a mirror!
Brilliant!!! The other explination could be that those of us on this side of the pond just aren't very good at pedalling!!

Quick Reply: GT3RS in Car Brands Hatch England.. check this guy out