Sponsored by:

BEST TRACK SET UP??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:18 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question BEST TRACK SET UP??

thought I would post this here cause this is where the track knowledge is! I have worn out street H+R coilovers and need a new suspension. car is 90% track driven.
I feel that motons (the best?) may be over kill and PSS9's wouldnt do the job?

Any feelings on the best track set up for a 996TT around 3300 pounds. I dont care about noise or discomfort on the street just track performance!

Any input appreciated

TIA

tom
Old 08-24-2006, 02:50 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your experience level and how much do you want to spend? Will this be a track only setup?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
thought I would post this here cause this is where the track knowledge is! I have worn out street H+R coilovers and need a new suspension. car is 90% track driven.
I feel that motons (the best?) may be over kill and PSS9's wouldnt do the job?

Any feelings on the best track set up for a 996TT around 3300 pounds. I dont care about noise or discomfort on the street just track performance!

Any input appreciated

TIA

tom
Tom:

Without question, the Motons are the hands-down best choice for track work. They are 2-5 sec/lap better than the PSS-9's.

The spring package needs to be custom tailored to your driving experience and skill level.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

thanks guys. I have DE'ed for years with many cars. car would be basically for the track but I usually drive it to sebring (100miles). I thought there may be something between the extreme cost of the motons and the bilsteins? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the motons?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
thanks guys. I have DE'ed for years with many cars. car would be basically for the track but I usually drive it to sebring (100miles). I thought there may be something between the extreme cost of the motons and the bilsteins? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the motons?
Tom:

IMHO, nothing else comes close to what Motons will do for your lap times,.....
(JRZ perhaps)

I would tell you do do this right the first time and save your $$$ until you can. You'll NOT be disappointed in any way.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:15 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

well thanks Steve that's what I thought and have heard, just thought I'd ask here in case I was missing info, thanks for the reply!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You may also want to consider a small nitrogen tank/hose to be able adjust pressures at the track as well?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW, a fellow 'karting Dad'...our kids drive karts together, recently had them installed in his 996GT3. He was VERY happy with the results, as Steve said, after they were adjusted.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

tom, since your car is all track use, without hesitation get motons over pss9, it's a no brainer.
you do need someone experienced to get the pkg right (spring rate), s. weiner is a good source.
then you need a suspension guide to set it up.
sure , in theory to get the best out of it one should alter nitrogen pressure, and other settings, even differenet spring for each track. but who are we kidding. we hare here for fun not racing for money (maybe you are ;-)..... a good suspension guy can dial it in to be 95% good for all the tracks you frequent. if you got Q's pm me. i have had many motons on different cars. i dont work for them nor do i sell any of them. just a very satisfied customer, and their response and customer service is 2nd to none.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:09 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Personally, I think that adjustable shocks are overkill for us amatures. Unless you are paying for pro track support, few can actually extract much benefit from the adjutability. Unfortunately, most of the kits nowadays provide adjustability, so you'll end up paying for something you don't really need. If it were me, I would get the JIC Cross Competition setup. They are better than the PSS9s, can support stiff spring rates, and are much cheaper than Motons.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:27 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D
Personally, I think that adjustable shocks are overkill for us amatures. Unless you are paying for pro track support, few can actually extract much benefit from the adjutability. Unfortunately, most of the kits nowadays provide adjustability, so you'll end up paying for something you don't really need. Motons.
my thoughts too. i dont actaully adj my motons once it's dialed in. i run 5 tracks in CA. with my skills i certainly can't tell one click up from one click down. but the problem is most good shox ARE DA or TA's.

i forgot JIC cross. they are bang for the buck. with motons you need to factor in the upper strut mount (monoball), busings are too soft for these stiff applications. i tried and it doesn't work well. JIC comes with upper mounts.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
my thoughts too. i dont actaully adj my motons once it's dialed in. i run 5 tracks in CA. with my skills i certainly can't tell one click up from one click down. but the problem is most good shox ARE DA or TA's.
Exactly. One click is near impossible to feel for us amatures. 3-4...ok, that you can feel. The guys who like to claim they can totally feel one click normally ain't that good.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to the JIC Cross Competition set-up with 600lb springs front and 800lb rear (shocks can handle to 1000lbs before needing re-valving) on my car last winter. After 8 events so far this year, I could not be happier. 15 adjustments, but I too found the setting I like and there they stay. Definitely the best buy for the money out there today, and no nitrogen tanks needed.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:04 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the JIC Cross Competition for a season. Three sprint races = three podiums and 1 Time Trial = 1 TT best lap... I had no complaints.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:06 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I ran the JIC Cross Competition for a season. Three sprint races = three podiums and 1 Time Trial = 1 TT best lap... I had no complaints.
sh*t, with that kind of result. i am moving to JIC too ;-)

Quick Reply: BEST TRACK SET UP??