Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA hit with $250K judgment

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006 | 10:02 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Default Dixie Tech 2002

First of all, it's easy to make comments and name call people most of you have never met, lets see some choice ones.......
Yahoos / Bozos / Idiots
and my personal favorite boozer f**ktards

I lived in Huntsville for nearly 6 yrs when work transferred me down there in 96' and let me tell you, the HOD region is something special. You will be hard pressed to find a tighter group of Porsche guys anywhere and some damn fine people to boot. This includes the 2 gents implicated here. These 2 guys are about as hard core as they come and it would be a shame if this is all they are recognized for in porsche circles. These 2 guys were largely responsible for the success of all the previous events and social gatherings. In essence, they were the 'region'. A region that spans about 4 times the size of CT (1800 members), HOD has like 75 members. The best thing about HOD is the relaxed family atmoshpere that surrounds it as well as it's deep roots and connections in automotive industry. Connections that brought people like Scott Sharp and Kenny Brack as well as cars like this 908 and other significant cars to a small private shop in Alabama. It also brought regulars like Bruce Anderson who told me this was one of his favorite events because it's so personal and hands on. A far cry from events like techtactics that takes place in a banquet room. People attended this event and brought their cars because it was a gathering of true enthusiasts.

Now that said, did these guys make a grievous error in judgment?.....Yes
Are they human?....Yes
Should the club have to cover this?..... In my opinion, No
but when it comes down to legalities, someone wants $$$ now and the club is the obvious target. But I'll let the lawyers deal with that.

I also had the displeasure of being on the scene a very short time after the accident. I was attending an auto-x being put on by the Twickenham Auto Club about 500 meters away from the shop @ the time of the accident, I actually heard it happen. Need less to say, The individual driving was seriously injured and the shop owner was in complete shock and belief, as was I. They were both utterly remorseful and no doubt got a lot of S**T from other club members/officers. It's out of our collective hands now anyway and really, who ever it was that asked if the dues were going to go up, should remeber that there are real people's livelyhoods at stake here. We all make mistakes. I mean having the keys to a 'brand new' 908 in your garage is kind of like having Pamela Anderson over for a slumber party. Who ever says they wouldn't want to take her for a drive is Lying!! 'Her' is subjective

Brgds, Peter
Keep the Faith

P.S. here's a couple of pics of the car @ the event just weeks before that fateful day. The 904 and speedster were brought down by a gentleman from TN (who owned half the cars @ Rennsport II) and let mere aquaintances drive it around the same industrial park roads that day. because that's what HOD is all about!

Old 08-30-2006 | 10:17 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

I am sorry, but the fact that they are "good guys" is meaningless. They took out a very expensive car without permission and wrecked it. They are both to blame...period. What the did in the past only makes their seriously lack in judgement that much more sad. But as sad as it may be, their livelyhoods should be at stake. PCA, and therefore all of us, should not be left holding the bag.
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:17 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

"I mean having the keys to a 'brand new' 908 in your garage is kind of like having Pamela Anderson over for a slumber party. Who ever says they wouldn't want to take her for a drive is Lying!! 'Her' is subjective"

So when you knock up Pamerla Anderson do you forget your responsibility??? "oops, sorry, have a nice life."
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:38 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by butzip
I mean having the keys to a 'brand new' 908 in your garage is kind of like having Pamela Anderson over for a slumber party. Who ever says they wouldn't want to take her for a drive is Lying!! 'Her' is subjective
I would think a more apt analogy would be that your wife, Lorena Bobbitt, invited Pamela Anderson, who is married to Mike Tyson, over for a slumber party, but then your wife got called away on an emergency. Would you and I and everyone else be tempted? Sure! But you can bet that I wouldn't start drinking and hanging out with Pammy in the basement, particularly in light of the extreme temptation and potentally devastating consequences.

Seems like a good time to go work in the garage as far away from Pammy as I can manage, or log onto the Internet. Afterall, that's what the Internet is good for, right?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43841227974645
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:42 AM
M758
Race Director

The difference between a child and an adult is being able to control their desires. Heck I would love to have Geoffrey's RSR in my garage... Then again after thing about for all of 30 seconds. No! I would NOT want it my garage since I become responsible for any little thing that may happen. While I might fun to take the car around the block unless I am really to fork over how much every $$$ it takes to replace it I would even consider going there. Even if I could "afford" to fix it, quite simply is it NOT MINE to f-up in the first place.
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:46 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Seems like a good time to go work in the garage as far away from Pammy as I can manage, or log onto the Internet. Afterall, that's what the Internet is good for, right?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43841227974645
This song is one of the favorites of our girls!
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:52 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
This song is one of the favorites of our girls!
Cracks me up every time I hear it. Sadly (or gladly depending upon your perspective), the lyrics are largely correct, and they also explain satellite TV, DSL, DVDs, and nearly every technological advance . . .
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:53 AM
John Brown
Instructor

Originally Posted by butzip
... I mean having the keys to a 'brand new' 908 in your garage is kind of like having Pamela Anderson over for a slumber party. Who ever says they wouldn't want to take her for a drive is Lying!! 'Her' is subjective

Brgds, Peter
Keep the Faith
Neglecting for the moment that Pam Anderson is perhaps a poorly selected metaphor; never the less - I hope you would only 'take her for a drive' with her permission. (Or not at all if you have any standards. But that's another discussion). The additional circumstances, as reported, merely increase the image of irresponsibility; they don't create it.
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:53 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

It was the best thing I've seen on Broadway in a looooong time.

(Sorry to go so far OT).
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:55 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pamela Anderson would laugh at the size of my "manhood".
Old 08-30-2006 | 11:03 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Sure hope this action does not add to the membership fees and the cost of DE/CR events! Something in basic economics tells me we are going to pay for the error not the PCA. PCA is not a club of wealth from the adminstration side. Someone is going to pay, my fear is you and I!

Dal
Old 08-30-2006 | 11:21 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Perhaps the fact that one of the bozo's who decided to combine an afternoon drive with alchohol and a rare racecar was an officer of the local PCA region may shed some light as to why PCA was involved.

If anything, said board member should have known better.

As for PCA going after the two idiots - there is probably a good chance of that:
1. Porsche club members are typically financially better off.
2. One of the individuals is the owner of the Porsche shop where the 908 was stored. There's probably far more than $250,000 invested in that building alone!

The good thing about hiding assets is that there is always a paper trail to follow... I am confident that PCA will pursue these idiots with some success.

Just my $0.42,
-Z-man.
Old 08-30-2006 | 11:30 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dgz924s
Sure hope this action does not add to the membership fees and the cost of DE/CR events! Something in basic economics tells me we are going to pay for the error not the PCA. PCA is not a club of wealth from the adminstration side. Someone is going to pay, my fear is you and I!

Dal
So, it would take $5 per member to satisfy the judgement. Have you looked at the PCA Balance Sheet lately?
Old 08-30-2006 | 11:31 AM
John Brown
Instructor

So, what's a 908 go for these days? That the $250k?

I'd be interested to read the cases. Might be enlightening. Anyone able to obtain or share the mechanics of getting the documents? They are public documents, yes?
Old 08-30-2006 | 12:16 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am curious as to why the shop did not have a policy of insurance covering vehicles in their possession, i.e. garage keeper's policy. If the shop is an ongoing concern, it should have had insurance for exactly this type of thing and that carrier should have at least defended the claim and probably paid some if not all of the damages.

Furthermore, I don't understand why the person's individual auto policy did not cover the claim unless it was a party and got off the hook due to an exclusion for non-titled or "other vehicles".

If the shop is owned by a corporation, PCA will likely be looking into a dry hole. Piercing the corporate veil is very difficult and expensive to prove.

It's hard to say without knowing all of the facts. I know I would have looked into naming my shop policy carrier and auto policy carrrier as parties if they denied me for something like this incident.

Quick Reply: PCA hit with $250K judgment