Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Noise shuts down kart track

Well, it would appear as though you take a little piece of Lime Rock with you no matter where you go.

My local track:
http://www.ssceast.com/outdoors.html
(one of the nicest physical facilities for karting around)

Yesterday at Tuesday night open practice (4-8), the kids were shown the black flag and dutifully reported to the pits.

The neighbors (over a mile away from the track) complained that they can "hear" the karts, so we were forced to pack up.
Half a million dollar sound wall, extra mufflers on the karts and it's still too loud (much less than a window mounted A/C or neighbor's lawnmower), but such is the way it is.

It's hard looking at 10's of thousands in karting equipment sitting idle and trying to explain to your kid (let alone my bride) that the next closest kart track (BeaveRun) is 500 miles away, one way.

It's so difficult to get these things (tracks) off the ground, but so simple to literally shut them down.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks.

Oakland Valley Raceway should be closer than 500 miles:

http://www.ovrpweb.com/pages/home.asp

Also, there are tracks near Rochester and Syracuse that are less than 500 miles. This was my home track for years:

http://www.gvkc.org/default.asp

One of my best friends used to drive from Boston to Rochester most weekends to race.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

George,
Thanks for the links.
Unfortunately GVKC doesn't run a Rotax FR125 TAG class.
OVRP was recently sold and most of the reviews of the new owners isn't encouraging....and the facility is one step above a parking lot IMHO.

I'll keep searching, otherwise it looks like I see a lot of trips to BeaveRun next year....maybe I can bring the kart AND the Cup car to BeaveRun if the schedules line up.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RJ wont put up with this nonsense. He does this for the love of the sport, which means money is the seond object here. I will bet the track is open within a week!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
George,
Thanks for the links.
OVRP was recently sold and most of the reviews of the new owners isn't encouraging....and the facility is one step above a parking lot IMHO.

I'll keep searching, otherwise it looks like I see a lot of trips to BeaveRun next year....maybe I can bring the kart AND the Cup car to BeaveRun if the schedules line up.
Wow...I didn't know OVRP was sold??

I agree...OVRP isn't all that, esp. compared to the track ltc goes to. That is nice! Unfortunately, OVRP is the closest to NYC (I think).

What about F1Boston or is that not for the hardcore karters?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Arrwin
What about F1Boston or is that not for the hardcore karters?
My son doesn't really enjoy indoor karting, even during the winter, as most of the kids there do nothing but use the enclosed kart as a 4 sided bumper. It's interesting seeing the difference in kids who follow NA$CAR vs the kids who follow open wheel racing.
The competition/skill/talent level is much better at the outdoor track IMHO.

Besides, where else can a Dad be:

Kart owner
Sponsor
Mechanic
Transport Driver
Race Engineer
Driving Coach

all at the same time.

$$ aside (I can say that since my bride, the accountant, isn't here), it has produced some memories that do last a lifetime.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
My son doesn't really enjoy indoor karting, even during the winter, as most of the kids there do nothing but use the enclosed kart as a 4 sided bumper.
Good for him. I hate that too. Shoot in my day, or actually when I started karting (God, is it already 20 years ago?), we weren't even required to have full-length side nerf bars let alone all the bodywork. There was even less bumping back then.

Originally Posted by ltc
It's interesting seeing the difference in kids who follow NA$CAR vs the kids who follow open wheel racing.
I wish I could blame it all on NASCAR, but even in sports cars, and yes, F1, there is a lot of questionable driving going on IMHO. Less in F1 and Champ Cars for obvious reasons, but it's still there.

Originally Posted by ltc
The competition/skill/talent level is much better at the outdoor track IMHO.

Besides, where else can a Dad be:

Kart owner
Sponsor
Mechanic
Transport Driver
Race Engineer
Driving Coach

all at the same time.

$$ aside (I can say that since my bride, the accountant, isn't here), it has produced some memories that do last a lifetime.
Amen. I didn't experience it with my family (I was 25 at the time and doing it all myself), but I watched lots of families really grow close through the experience. Done right, karting can be an incredible experience shared between parents and children. Good for you!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
George,
Thanks for the links.
Wow! That's nuts. It's the most popular class in karting these days from what I'm told. Too bad. Fun track, although not nearly as nice as your home track.

Originally Posted by ltc
Wow, that's too bad. I used to hear good things about that track (of course that was 20 years ago).
Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

Actually, looking at the standings, it appears GVKC does run a TAG Jr class, but also based upon the standings, only one person has been running. That sucks.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Roscoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 10 yr old was in the summer league that ran at F1 outdoors... That sound wall is a serious piece of architecture. Was your son running the Nascar bank? I was told that is where the problems started.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No one runs the banking at F1Outdoors.

The original plan was to conduct noise tests once the wall was completed and reconfigure the course to use it; that is obviously now on hold.

BTW, the cost of that wall is in the neighborhood of $500K
Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Not that this helps your situation but there is a outdoor kart track on the eastern shore of Maryland in Chestertown. I drive by once in a while and see a sign races today so I stop in. Age classes not sure beyond that. I would like to get a kart and try this. Sure looks like fun. I raced at Beaverun a few times and tried the kart track. Way fun after chasing P cars all day.

I agree that your home track will sort this out quickly.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

If they had a track close by me, I would totally be a league now. They do have karting leagues for adults, correct?

Word has it that F1 is trying to build a track on LI. Let's hope it happens.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:30 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry, guys. There is an F1 kart track, indoor, just like F1 Boston going into Maywood, NJ. It will be on Rte 17 So, near the Acura dealer, south of Paramus. It was in the local papers a few months ago. Don't know if there's going to be outdoors as well, but if so, I'll take my shifter off ebay right now. Anyone know more about this?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
Don't worry, guys. There is an F1 kart track, indoor, just like F1 Boston going into Maywood, NJ. It will be on Rte 17 So, near the Acura dealer, south of Paramus. It was in the local papers a few months ago. Don't know if there's going to be outdoors as well, but if so, I'll take my shifter off ebay right now. Anyone know more about this?
Such a small world. I was actually a patient at your office with Dr. Bloom. Should of realized you were a car guy with all those auto magazines.

Haven't heard about the kart track in Maywood, but if it's true I can't wait! League anyone?

Quick Reply: Noise shuts down kart track