Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:29 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Now, THAT is hilarious!!
DITTO!!

You crack me up Larry. How long did they chew you out once you finally saw the black flag and came in?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're still talking about it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
... At Pocono I got black flagged by the SCCA corner workers for "driving too fast" in the Red Instructor Group,...
Too fast? I thought that was the objective of going to the track.

I've run and instructed with many different clubs, from BMW to Porsche to Mustang to Mazda, and many in between, and I've never heard of any of them comment on slowing us down. There've been comments on being careful and driving within our limits, but nothing about slowing down.

There is one chapter of the BMWCCA that I've heard that does suggest speed limits.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:31 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
Too fast? I thought that was the objective of going to the track.

I've run and instructed with many different clubs, from BMW to Porsche to Mustang to Mazda, and many in between, and I've never heard of any of them comment on slowing us down. There've been comments on being careful and driving within our limits, but nothing about slowing down.

There is one chapter of the BMWCCA that I've heard that does suggest speed limits.
You must not be Larry fast!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

At an SCCA PDC this year they instituted a speed limit for the morning runs(stepping it up each run) and the afternoon had no limits other then keeping within your comfort zone.. IMSA course at Pocono. I woudl have enjoyed the day better if the morning limits where not there.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not a big fan of rules and regulations, however, I can tell you that I think the PCA's National Instructor Certification program is a joke. Not the material or content, but rather the way it is managed and administered. As I only have expernience in Zone 1, I have seen white run group students (intermediate) attend the program and become instructors. I think the "guest" instructors for the program anre not willing to "flunk" someone and I think that the backgrounds and driving histories are not sufficiently checked. In contract to the BMWCCA national program (which PCA modeled theirs after) where they have a more rigourous application process and testing for pass/fail to become a nationally certified instructor. In PCA to me, it means nothing other than more work for the Regions. If the desire is to have a universally accpeted instructor status, I think PCA has failed. I can see why Regions like CVR, NNJR, NY Metro who have historically had rigourous DE programs don't automatiaclly accpet Nationally Certified instructors.

I have also had a checkout ride with a BMW instructor at my first Trackmasters event and his first comment was "isn't this one of these cars that spins easily" referring to my prior high HP turbo. After 2 laps he wanted to get out. As we know Porsches well, they know BMWs well and sometimes have difficulty crossing over. A BMW in general is first a road car in contract to a Porsche that is a road car built from a race car and is mucn more capable in stock form.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:48 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I'm not a big fan of rules and regulations, however, I can tell you that I think the PCA's National Instructor Certification program is a joke. Not the material or content, but rather the way it is managed and administered. As I only have expernience in Zone 1, I have seen white run group students (intermediate) attend the program and become instructors. I think the "guest" instructors for the program anre not willing to "flunk" someone and I think that the backgrounds and driving histories are not sufficiently checked. In contract to the BMWCCA national program (which PCA modeled theirs after) where they have a more rigourous application process and testing for pass/fail to become a nationally certified instructor. In PCA to me, it means nothing other than more work for the Regions. If the desire is to have a universally accpeted instructor status, I think PCA has failed. I can see why Regions like CVR, NNJR, NY Metro who have historically had rigourous DE programs don't automatiaclly accpet Nationally Certified instructors.

I have also had a checkout ride with a BMW instructor at my first Trackmasters event and his first comment was "isn't this one of these cars that spins easily" referring to my prior high HP turbo. After 2 laps he wanted to get out. As we know Porsches well, they know BMWs well and sometimes have difficulty crossing over. A BMW in general is first a road car in contract to a Porsche that is a road car built from a race car and is mucn more capable in stock form.
Hmmm...

In the short number of years that the National Program has been around, I have flunked as many as I have passed. No different than when I checked out Zone instructors before the National Program existed. Nothing has changed for me. Guess I don't fit the generalization.

No, I take that back. Things have changed. There is more information on how to teach, and how we learn than ever before. Is it the best program? Probably not. Is it much better than before? Definitely. Did it achieve its goal of leveling the playing field and the talent of the National Instructor Corp? Yes, indeed.

Joke? I for one have never taken it lightly. Depends on whose doing the grilling.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

I am a newly certified PCA instructor in the Riesentoter Region. I can testify that our region takes the certification, classroom and mentoring very seriously. First to be selected as an instuctor candidate you must be driving in the black run group and the senior instructors will have observed your driving numerous times and are of the opinion that your driving skills are developed enough to instruct. You are invited, you dont just decide you want to take the instructor training and varoom you are an instructor. The national program focuses on how to teach and how people learn. Not every candidate gets through the mentoring portion in our region and some get additional mentoring beyond the national program before they are certified. The quality of instruction that is the result of this program is outstanding. I know that the first time I instructed I was confident and well prepared and offered excellent instruction with very positive feedback from my students.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

As an advanced instructor for both groups (PCA & BMW) and a CDI for a BMW chapter, my observations are that the programs are, by and large, equally good & equally rigorous. There are always small exceptions, but PCA's & BMW's instructor development program, and instructor continuous learning programs, as currently implemented, are the best in the country, in my view.

As for an instructor calling someone a "*****"...well, I don't think that is appropriate unless the instructor & student are very good friends. Professionalism begets performance, and while one student might take it well, another would be very offended & taken aback (which hinders learning).
Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
As for an instructor calling someone a "*****"...well, I don't think that is appropriate unless the instructor & student are very good friends. Professionalism begets performance, and while one student might take it well, another would be very offended & taken aback (which hinders learning).
I doubt he would have said that to just anyone, we had a pretty good back and forth going from the first run. I won't name names, but the guy was (is) a great instructor.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I doubt he would have said that to just anyone, we had a pretty good back and forth going from the first run. I won't name names, but the guy was (is) a great instructor.

Fair enough.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lemming
The best instructors are good communicators (arguably, communication is more important than driving skill, although obviously an instructor needs to be sufficiently proficient at driving as well). In order to be a good communicator, you need to know your audience. If you know your audience, then you will know whether calling them a ***** would create a problem.

An instructor called me a ***** once, and I started laughing because, in that particular context, he was right

I do agree with the professionalism comment, and if in doubt, an instructor shouldn't joke around like that. Nonetheless, this is all supposed to be fun, and laughing with an instructor makes the track experience even better than it would be in a sterile environment, even if you receive a lot of good information.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Here is a link to where you will find a longer version of the video from that event. You can see me a couple of times, too. Look for the Riesentöter PCA shirt and the bad hair.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Ask Pete Tremper. Not everyone passes. Is the program perfect, probably not. It's constantly evolving and improving. Is it a joke? No way.

Quick Reply: How to instruct a BMW driver!