Really...how bad is Seneca Lodge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Tony,

I forgot to mention, I go all over Europe and Australia each quarter for business...

So I am already over there which makes the cost really low...

Norm
Do they have a Seneca Lodge affiliate there?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably.

But I stay at the Dorint where the balcony looks right out on the F1 track.

I will get top watch the DTM race from my balcony - pretty cool!...

But I think I have probably hijacked the original thread enough :-)

Norm
Old 08-03-2006, 11:59 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Its been said, but...
Seneca is OK if you are in a motel room, but the cabinns are awfull. I didn't mind the accomodations (funny choice of words) but the noise from the neighbors next door was awfull
I did enjoy firing up the diesel next morning, though - exhaust was pointed right at the offending neighbor's window. And, you really should let it idle a bit...
Very satisfying, if a bit childish.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I've stayed at the Seneca a couple of times.

Once I stayed under the restaurant, but it wasn't too bad since it was in October and thus, the crowd was less upstairs. And while the room was rustic, it was mostly clean and acceptable for me. Note that I did not have my wife with me on that trip.

The second time, I stayed in the "new" building that sleder mentioned - that was very clean, and actually not a bad room. My wife was with me, and she didn't complain at all, except for the 'cripsy' bath towels that had the basic texture of 100-grid sandpaper, and were too small for even a midget!

I stayed at the Villager last year, and stayed in the 'new' (20 year old) building. On par with the Seneca's "New building." But I've been told that the 'older' rooms at the Villager are on par with the musty rooms @ Seneca.

The favorite spot for Mrs. Z-man and I to stay at in WG is The Longhouse, a couple miles north of town. Very nice place, and if you stay up at their separate B&B, it's top notch. Expensive, but top notch. We spent a night or two up there when the rest of their motel was booked full.

-Z
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Jaws911
Pro

I agree w/ the room ratings above (essentially, except for location. price , the bar & restaraunt, even i would not stay there) but for me, one little side advantage - it's right outside the state park - where you can easily take a post-track walk or hike - a nice cool down - + they've got great pool (the park, not the Lodge - i looked at the Lodge's poll once - that was all i needed...)
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts

The room me and the family had last time at the Seneca Lodge wasn't bad. The other place i have stayed is the Colonial Inn & Motel in town. A nice family owned it the last time I stayed there. Clean room, and ice cold A/C. No musty smell in the room. In town is nice because you can walk everywhere.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For nice accomodations and restaurant when bringing your spouse, SO, etc., we like The Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars. Built about five years ago, all rooms over look the vineyards and lake with outside private decks....even room service. www.glenora.com.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of you guys must be old or to fancy. Stay at the Seneca for the bar. You're only sleeping in the room. My wife thinks its hilarious to stay there. I love the atmosphere at the bar, F-1 wreaths from the early days, arrows stuck in the wall, and ask about the Petrified finger bar behind the bar....... Yes the food is good, great salad bar too. Of course, remember, that you are in a small town where the average person is maybe a construction worker making 25,000 yearly.

And if you take the back road to the track its 5 minutes to Gate 2.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Norm, keep hijacking the thread, we beat the poor Seneca to death. Don't forget you have cablevision in your room (Dorint) with live corner to corner channels on the tv in your room of the race on the F1 circuit. NIIIIIiiicee. Damn Germans know how important the auto is to living!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:36 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
Some of you guys must be old
Yeah, Bull seems like he might be mature. I know my wife would shoot me if I booked a room for her at the Seneca Lodge. And I'm sure she'd thank Bull for the Glenora recommendation.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone here ever looked into real estate at/near Watkins Glen (Schuyler County)? I am seriously considering to buy a rental ("investment" may be too strong a word ) property there. With places like Seneca and what seems to be the challenge of finding a decent place to sleep, I would think rental demand for a house charging the same price of a Seneca to be fairly strong.

Any experience with the real estate market by The Glen?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Yeah, Bull seems like he might be mature. I know my wife would shoot me if I booked a room for her at the Seneca Lodge. And I'm sure she'd thank Bull for the Glenora recommendation.
Yeah, that's it ..."mature"...I'll tell my ex that you said so! If you must be mature to not like mold, mildew, bugs, noise, stale air and more bugs...I'm it!

I drove my wife through the grounds of the Seneca once...I can't repeat the words that she said at the time here in public!!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by dave morris
Bull -- mature?!?

Old 08-03-2006, 04:55 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Tony,

I forgot to mention, I go all over Europe and Australia each quarter for business...

So I am already over there which makes the cost really low...

Norm

uhh...do you need some one to carry your bags? I will only need a few laps at the ring in compensation
Old 08-03-2006, 04:58 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Norm,

Sure that would be great - but you dont actually have to carry the bags :-)

Norm

Quick Reply: Really...how bad is Seneca Lodge?