Sponsored by:

Kumho Ecsta V710

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kumho Ecsta V710

I have just started doing DE events and have a set of Kumho Ecsta V710 which I autcross with. My question is can the V710 be used on the track as well as autocross? I have heard that they are a dedicated autocross tire and should not be on the track. Anyone tracking them?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This should give you the info you need: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=V710
Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 10 autox events on my V710's (02 Z06 w/ 275 / 305 set up) and also about 6 track events (1 hour each event). I also have about 500 miles of driving to and from events. They are by far the BEST autox/road race/track event tire you will ever find.

Even with all this "race" time, I think I still have another 25% of life in them.

Enjoy.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I have about 10 autox events on my V710's (02 Z06 w/ 275 / 305 set up) and also about 6 track events (1 hour each event). I also have about 500 miles of driving to and from events. They are by far the BEST autox/road race/track event tire you will ever find.

Even with all this "race" time, I think I still have another 25% of life in them.

Enjoy.
That info is promising. I just spoeke to somebody at Kumho who said they are a track tire not an autocross tire. He did also say that they are good for about 4 laps. When I asked how long a lop is he said about 4 miles. So according to him they are good for about 16 miles.

I have about 4 autocrosses on my V710 and just started doing DE's. I have already been to 2 DE but after drifting around the turns and listening to my street tires squeeling I am seriously thinking of using my V710. Any opinions are definately appreciated. The DE's have been 2 hours each. The last one was approximately 100 miles on the track.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by jeeper31
That info is promising. I just spoeke to somebody at Kumho who said they are a track tire not an autocross tire. He did also say that they are good for about 4 laps. When I asked how long a lop is he said about 4 miles. So according to him they are good for about 16 miles.

I have about 4 autocrosses on my V710 and just started doing DE's. I have already been to 2 DE but after drifting around the turns and listening to my street tires squeeling I am seriously thinking of using my V710. Any opinions are definately appreciated. The DE's have been 2 hours each. The last one was approximately 100 miles on the track.
Also...I am "not" easy on my tires...just to clarify that. Since the tire life, I am on my 3rd set of brakes already. Also, I usually place top 5 on PAX times at autox events, and always am 1 or 2 spots away from trophees at Nationals on SCCA solo....so, yes, this tires rock and roll.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

I am starting to feel more confident in using them on the track. I love them for aurtocross and going from sreets to the V710s in autocross was amazing. Looking forward to feeling how they differ on the track.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Idiots...a vast sea of idiots.

Kumho 710's are a race tire. We have run (and bagged class wins) in 12 hour (and shorter) endurance races on 710's. Very stable, reliable tire that has good durability. We're VERY tough on tires...we can cord a Victoracer in 120-150 minutes on a 2500 lb. car with 140hp...and 710's have (in our opinion) better performance than Victoracers.

Ask questions...but be very cautious about believing the answers you get. The internet...and track paddock gossip...is a vast sea of idiots. You've apparently found some...remember to wear a life vest.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

So if I listen to those with experience.... I should not hesitte to use my V710 on the track. So here's another question. I have only done 2 DEs. My insructor's comment about me were "Excellent student. I felt very comfortable with Dan. Shows really good car control. Very aware what the car is doing. Fast learner. Just needs more seat time to advance to the next run group." I did feel very comfortable with the car, did know what it was doing and felt i had good control . Am i ready to use track tires as opposed to street tires. I was using Fuzion ZRi on the track.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to stay on street tires.

DOT race rubber will just delay your skill development. Spend the time learning to push a street tire...and you'll stretch your skills and reactions a lot further than you will on race tires. People who go to race rubber before they've learned to feel the chassis have one of two experiences:

1.) They remain slow, as they've never learned to 'feel the edge' of a tire's performance envelope, which in a street tire is much more progressive and occurs at slower speeds

or

2.) They have a huge crash, as they didn't know how to read the warning signs of DOT race rubber reaching the edge of grip and approaching that 'spit you out like a watermelon seed' point.

Two DE's so far ? You need to be on street rubber.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:07 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

That's what I was thinking. I do feel the tires losing traction and am able to make adjsustments. I am thinking that's what you mean when you say 'feel the edge' of the tires performance. I have saved myself from a few spin outs and have been able to control the rear drifting arounds the shart corners. I have also been able to use the loss of rear traction to my avantage.

If this sounds like I do not know what I am talking about that is very possible. Still new at all this.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:27 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

'Professor T' is giving good advice. I don't know about autocross, but with track driving you'll absolutely learn more, faster, on street tires.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
'Professor T' is giving good advice. I don't know about autocross, but with track driving you'll absolutely learn more, faster, on street tires.
After doing autox for 8 years now...I would suggest staying on street tires for a complete season.

Professor cracks me up though....
Old 07-11-2006, 03:20 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
After doing autox for 8 years now...I would suggest staying on street tires for a complete season.

Professor cracks me up though....
Stayed on street tires for most of first season then switched to Victoracers when friend gave me his used set. Bought V710 to start this season. Received the Autocross Novice of the Year award last season so I imagine I am doing pretty well.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

A couple of points about the Kumho's. I am unsure about what you can get in the US, but over here (UK) we can get different compounds so you need to be specific about which compound you are using. The other factor that comes into play is the weight of the car.

My understanding is that on lighter cars, the hard compound makes a good track tyre (note correct spelling of tYre ) and the medium compounds are great for Autocross (what we call sprint/hillclimbs). On heavier cars they are great for autocross but get shredded on track work.

These tyres are the tyre of choice for sprints/hillclimbs on 964 and 993 RS's. We use mediums on the front and hards on the rear. However, put those on the same car on a track and they will begin to go off in about 5-6 laps. Having said that, at a recent trackday a friend ran them and so long as he kept his stints down to 5-6 laps, they worked well for the day.

The general view is that they are just too soft for a heavy car like a GT3.

So, I would suggest that any recommendations are accompanied by both compound and weight of car indications so as to see if it is relevent to your car.

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta V710