SCCA ITE RACE at Infinion Raceway this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default SCCA ITE RACE at Infinion Raceway this weekend

http://m3ma420.com/SCCA.7.2.06.SP.wmv

The video is up!! very cool shots of the SCCA ITE Race (anything goes on DOTs)

I got a lot of laughs by the SCCA crew when they saw me pack the car up, and drive it home, as always (10 years running) on my used x SpeedGT World Challenge throw-away-tires (Toyo RA1s dated 2003) Was pretty happy about my Infinion Raceway 1:47.9 qual time too and 1st place finish. Not bad for a 20 year old porsche, no mods except a set of headers and a street/sport suspension. I think this weekend was its 60th race day.

check it out! some cheap laughs!

MK
Old 07-06-2006, 06:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Drive Mark.

60 race days... That can't be right. 6 race days a year for the past 10 years?

My little 944 has 55 races on it since I started back in April 2002. You MUST have more than just 60. Are you sure that is not 60 race weekends? That seems more like it.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

On the Holbert 928 chassis. its been in action since 2002. this is the car's 5th season. 11 races per year ave. 2 days per weekend racing, sometimes 3.
maybe more like 80-90race days on the chassis.

Mk

Originally Posted by M758
Great Drive Mark.

60 race days... That can't be right. 6 race days a year for the past 10 years?

My little 944 has 55 races on it since I started back in April 2002. You MUST have more than just 60. Are you sure that is not 60 race weekends? That seems more like it.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:31 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such a cool video, I love Infineon. Hey Mark, how much does your car weigh and how much horsepower. 1:47 is haulin, I think my best in my street car was 1:59. What tires are you running? Do you have the link to the results site? Where are the rules?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Yes, i was surprised with the time. Ive been pushing the car harder as the competition has been getting so close. I think the top 4-5 cars were within a few tenths of each other, so its some real fun racing.
generally, its a grab bag of cars. Think grand am cup GS, with no weight restrictions! (with an occasional grand am rolex GT Vet, or older race viper) and all the tuner cars, like the 550 hp Evo , 4x4 running 305s on all 4 corners, that has been terrorizing us for the last 2 years now , and then lots of M3 e46s, euro e36s, S2000s, C5s, mustangs, camaros, 911s, and others.

I was pretty happy with the time, especially since that was the Qual times of the top 10 cars in 2000 speed GTand faster than McMillian in a PTG BMW who won the championship later, and "almost "Speedvision Gt champion, Peter Kitchack in his old 911 RSR conversion.

Basically, its anything goes on DOT tires. Im running used toyo RA1s, but the tire of choice is the new hoosiers for all the other guys. my car weighs about 2800lbs, near 3000lbs with me in it. Only in a porsche can you do this! think about it. 5 full seasons, one alignment, no problems except for a cam sprocket issue last season, and the engine has not been apart since 1986 when it came from the factory!!!! Too bad porsche could care less about the 928 and its durability on the track now. (but i sure can appreciate it!)

Here is the link to the results and the regional SCCA web site.

the results page is there too. for this years results, it links to mylaps.com, for prior years, it has its own history of results pages. SCCA does a great job of posting results and points standings for all the classes. they dominate the club priorities for all the nor cal tracks, so we get 103 db sound days at laguna about 3-4 times a year.

http://www.sfrscca.org/Calendar/index.html

Mk

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
Such a cool video, I love Infineon. Hey Mark, how much does your car weigh and how much horsepower. 1:47 is haulin, I think my best in my street car was 1:59. What tires are you running? Do you have the link to the results site? Where are the rules?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Man you nailed him in the 1st turn, I thought aluminum bodywork was fragile?

Cool video, thanks!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I just watched it agian. It does look that way, doesnt it! actually, that was the birm he hit, as i came over to close the door. didnt look that close in person though, but we didnt touch! I hit that birm later in the race, and wasted my front driver kinesis inner wheel half. fortunately, it was only out of round and a little bumpy, but allowed me to continue and finish the race. (a little scary to run on a bum wheel at Sears). Kinesis, just delivered the inner wheel half today! Thanks Kinesis!

actually, my rear quarters are steel and the bumper is hollow plastic shell. I think anderson got hit at SpeedGT in Vegas pretty hard in the rear by a vet and the car didnt have any issues continuing, (after a tire change from spinning at 170mph) it wasnt until he was centerpunched later in the race by another vet, where he had to come in for good. these cars are tanks.

MK

Originally Posted by analogmike
Man you nailed him in the 1st turn, I thought aluminum bodywork was fragile?

Cool video, thanks!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:14 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice drive and congrats on the win. It is very cool to see a car win then be driven home - that does not happen much anymore. I am impressed.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice drive on your part.

Good to see the Evo not win for a change. I wish SFR-SCCA would make the ITE more like the Speed World Challenge format for the club ranks. Some parity in the engine compartment, but lots of different makes. Sucks when the winner is always the guy with the biggest wallet to buy the most power.

I liked watching him struggle when he didn't have all his 550 horses to just motor around everyone.

Jut my humple opinion.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:59 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks,

I have to agree, but i catch a lot of flack for that opinion. Especially when Many of the ITE folks didnt want to let the porsche cup cars run or the viper competition coup. but, clearly, the rules say, " production vehicle on DOT tires". comp coups and GT3cup cars are not production vehicles. sure you can make a 911 into a near GT3cup or a viper into a comp coupe , but it sure takes a lot of effort to do that!

I wish it was more like World challenge for the club ranks. Kind of unfair that a car like the Evo can run in Super unlimiited or SP SCCA and ITE and be competitive in both. i think if they just made the cars some percentage of the hp or engine size/boost level, of the original and got everyone to a reasonably close HP to weight ratio, it would be a great series. It still is awesome racing, as it just so happens that about 5 of us have cars that turn the same times and can and usually lead a lap at some point in the race. thats more than ive seen in most other series. I guess you are always going to get someone with a ton of cash to go out and have a time trial in the middle of the race. you would think that the evo would have enough of that from last season. One day, they will enter that car in a World challenge event and come in last and realized they have learned nothing.

Yes, it was pretty interesting to see the evo knocked down to our power/weight levels. Be interesting to see how it would fair in some heated battles.

Mk

Originally Posted by tchandler
Nice drive on your part.

Good to see the Evo not win for a change. I wish SFR-SCCA would make the ITE more like the Speed World Challenge format for the club ranks. Some parity in the engine compartment, but lots of different makes. Sucks when the winner is always the guy with the biggest wallet to buy the most power.

I liked watching him struggle when he didn't have all his 550 horses to just motor around everyone.

Jut my humple opinion.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:26 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Mark,

We really enjoy your exploits.

Have you considered the NASA GTS series?

http://www.gtschallenge.com/regions/NorCal/NorCal.htm
Old 07-07-2006, 04:08 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yes, finally, an great way to get the bmws and porsches together again! (the old NASA bmw/porsche challenge ) what a concept...... hp to weight ratios from dyno runs, for classifications. out west, there has not been the turn out yet. Ill probably do a few of them next season. the problem is the top BMW drivers/cars are running in SCCA ITE and BMWCCA so there are only a so many events the drivers in the area can do. However some of the BMWCCA events are in the same run group as NASA GTS challlenge.

With SCCA, we get to run at laguna Seca with 103db 3-4 times a season, so that in itself is a reason to run with SCCA ITE if you are a porsche!

The NASA GTS challege has a great formula for parity.

Mk

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Mark,

We really enjoy your exploits.

Have you considered the NASA GTS series?

http://www.gtschallenge.com/regions/NorCal/NorCal.htm
Old 07-07-2006, 03:31 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice video, lots of great action! Thanks for posting it and congrats on your win!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:42 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark ,
Glad to see you are still at it with that 'warehorse " .. that car has some serious race miles on it. A testament to Porsche engineering!
I was watching an old Laguna tape of mine from 2003 and you are in the same race as me.. your car sounds wicked!
Stefanowicz was having brake problems in the SP race at Infineon and could "only" manage a 2nd ..glad to see one of our local guys brought home a 1st
Old 07-10-2006, 05:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Porsche sure designed this car right. I think ive run amost 3 x lemans 24hours without anything more than oil changes and brake pads over the last 5 years on this chassis! and, dont forget my street miles driving to the track and "grocery getter" on the weekends, as well as test and tune runs on Hyway 85!

I remember that PCA race in 2003. that was a fun weekend! too bad we dont get those anymore with PCA at laguna. Hope that changes soon!

I was wondering what happened to Stefanowitz in the SP race. Lew's GT1 transam car was smok'in fast too!

MK

Originally Posted by VZ935
Mark ,
Glad to see you are still at it with that 'warehorse " .. that car has some serious race miles on it. A testament to Porsche engineering!
I was watching an old Laguna tape of mine from 2003 and you are in the same race as me.. your car sounds wicked!
Stefanowicz was having brake problems in the SP race at Infineon and could "only" manage a 2nd ..glad to see one of our local guys brought home a 1st

Quick Reply: SCCA ITE RACE at Infinion Raceway this weekend