Sponsored by:

Race camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:36 PM
mji911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race camera

Hey All; I'm looking for input for the most recommended digital video setup for my 911SC. The present camera I have doesn't have great clearity and also seems to bounce. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:01 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best resolution comes from a camera with 3 CCD image sensors - so look for that in the specification.

Suggest you go for MiniDV, as it's great quality recording to tape, and you can import and edit video on your PC with cheap/free software.

Something like the Panasonic PV-GS300 3.1MP 3CCD MiniDV Camcorder is a good unit.

Small enough to mount in the car, image stabilization for a better picture on the move, 3CCD for high quality image.

There are a few 3CCD models in this Panasonic range, so you have a few price points to choose from.

I'd avoid the MPEG flash cameras for now - Image quality is still and issue, as is editing.

DVD camcorders tend to be larger, and suffer from jitter when being shaken around a track!

Get yourself a 2nd battery so you can record for longet at the track, and an in car charger for battery charging between track outings.

A screw on wide angle adapter is also good, for getting more in car action in the shot.

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 06-25-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
mji911
Instructor

Chris, Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, a quick look around finds that one available for $557 including shipping at Amazon, $547 plus shipping at places like J&R Music World and Electronics Expo.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:40 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Mike,

you may already have a mount for your original video camera - not sure.

You may want to look at using a sunction mount for the camcorder, allowing you to fix it on the window, or panel of the car.

This is a 3 cup mount:

This is a 6 cup mount:

ChaseCam website is HERE

There are stronger, and move expensive cam mounts available, but these are a good starting position for the track enthusiast.

You need to check with the track if you're mounting the cam outside of the vehicle - they may not allow this when others are on track.

AND IF YOU DO MOUNT OUTSIDE - ATTACH A LANYARD TO THE CAM!!

Chris.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:11 PM
bnewport
Racer

I use a Sony digital camera which takes pretty good video. Look at http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Videoing_a_track_day for my setup. It works very well and there is sample video there too.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't think any group I run with would permit suction mounting, no matter how good. I use the IO Port Video Camera Mount. CDOC and others have it. It mounts solidly to the rollbar.

There are also solid state recording options that I do not use, but that sound more durable than what I do, which is mounting a miniDV camera with this mount.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:42 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I don't think any group I run with would permit suction mounting, no matter how good. I use the IO Port Video Camera Mount. CDOC and others have it. It mounts solidly to the rollbar.

There are also solid state recording options that I do not use, but that sound more durable than what I do, which is mounting a miniDV camera with this mount.
You should always have an up-front discussion with the event organizers - normally they see the mount in action and are completely happy.

After all, suction mounts are most commonly used in-car by the TV companies.

Mounting on the outer skin of the car always causes issues - they are naturally concerned for other drivers safety on track.

In these cases, a quiet word, and a suggestion of letting you do an extra lap or two between sessions with the camera attached usually wins them over - offer them a copy of the track video

Chris.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:00 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Don't forget the bullet camera options too, those run about $200-300, but you still have to use a recording device (ie mini DV camcorder). The small camera will be easier to mount (and more likely to pass with just a suction mount), the camcorder can be put somewhere else more secure and within easier reach to start recording. The light weight of the bullet camera also helps reduce jitter since there is less weight bouncing around on the mount.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Be sure you can use the suction cup mount. I have seen several PCA Regions not let cars on track if they have a suction cup mount of any kind, in or out of the car.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:59 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by cchan
Don't forget the bullet camera options too, those run about $200-300, but you still have to use a recording device (ie mini DV camcorder). The small camera will be easier to mount (and more likely to pass with just a suction mount), the camcorder can be put somewhere else more secure and within easier reach to start recording. The light weight of the bullet camera also helps reduce jitter since there is less weight bouncing around on the mount.
The bullet cams are small, but you give up so much on quality.

It's only a single sensor, so you're limiting the quality right there, a cheap(er) lens, and an analogue output - so you loose on all counts, and still need to buy a video adapter and a camcorder to record the video.

Chris.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:00 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bull
Be sure you can use the suction cup mount. I have seen several PCA Regions not let cars on track if they have a suction cup mount of any kind, in or out of the car.
If they won't accept the suction cup mounts - then you're forced to use CLAMPS

These can be good solid mounts, but also tend to transmit more car vibration to the camera - even with dampening bushings.

You also have fewer mounting location options.

Rules are rules though, so it's worth asking first!

If you look at what the pro's use, for TV and movie work, it's almost all suction cup - those things just do not come off!

Chris.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

If money is no object, I am thrilled with my Race Cam / Sony GVD-900 combination. Google for Race Cam and eBay for the Sony VCR.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Anyone remember what ColorChange (Tim) did to get those great HD videos?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:00 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Mitch, how did the race go? We made it over to watch from the T5-T9. Looked like a blast. I was short on time having to replace rotors and a stubborn broken wheel stud. I use a Sony bullet cam, 120.00, weatherproof, good vision 400 tv lines. In the 911, the glovebox perfectly holds a Archos DVR with screen and 40gig drive built in. (clamp to the inside of the lid). Combo is perfect for DE and club racing as the entire season fits on the DVR and directly uploads to your pc or merge with DAS. Unit is also widescreen sensing, so with the new arriving cameras you actually record in 16:9 format. Quality is actually very good, not DV or HD, but for non-production, very good and minimal parts and expense. I will post a link of a run using this setup from "in car" camera. DVR is a little bigger than legal letter envelope and 1/2 inch thick.

Quick Reply: Race camera