Sponsored by:

Questions re Alfano timing stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 03:10 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions re Alfano timing stuff

I'm in need of a lap timer for DE purposes and having done some research on Rennlist and other forums, I ran across the Alfano Fun unit. What intrigues me about this device is that it uses the magnetic strips rather than a beacon, which seems like less stuff to deal with. Has anyone here used the Fun product and have any comments? It's priced around the same as the Ultra-Lap and MyChron Light TG and seems to have all of the features I'm looking for.

On a related note, the Alfano website says that Willow Springs has strips; are they on just the big track or on the Streets also? It also says there are strips at Buttonwillow, but the code says they are for karts. Anyone know anything different?

Bro
Old 06-24-2006, 03:43 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bro,
The UltraLap is bombproof, and has a terrific feature set. It triggers on any UltraLap beacon, or any AIM beacon. I rarely every have to use my own beacon. As soon as some eager beaver has his beacon running, I'm good to go.

If you are thinking about a data logger, the G2Extreme has a nice dash display that includes lap times derived from GPS data. No beacon required. Wanna buy my almost new Ultralap?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:30 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Bro,
The UltraLap is bombproof, and has a terrific feature set. It triggers on any UltraLap beacon, or any AIM beacon. I rarely every have to use my own beacon. As soon as some eager beaver has his beacon running, I'm good to go.

If you are thinking about a data logger, the G2Extreme has a nice dash display that includes lap times derived from GPS data. No beacon required. Wanna buy my almost new Ultralap?
PM sent.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The Alfano system looks very expensive considering you're relying on tracks being equipped with the magnetic stripes -- which I've never seen anyone using. Willow Springs' Alfano-equipped track might be their kart track.

Here's another vote for Ultralap. Simple, smart and reliable.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

+1 for Ultralap, although if I were buying now I'd be looking at spending more $ and getting one of the entry level data acquisition systems like G2X,Traqmate, or AIM.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. With the data loggers that offer in-car displays for lap times, don't you have to hit a button during the first lap of each session to give the GPS a reference point for the session's laps? (I've had students do this, although admittedly I wasn't paying a lot of attention.)

If this is the case, it seems like it's a fair amount more trouble than making sure someone's put out a beacon at the beginning of the day. The Ultralap turns itself on, turns itself off, and always remembers to record my laps, the ambient temperature, etc. It also guarantees that everyone who's using it is comparing the same start and finish points for their lap times (which can make a difference when you're as competitive a guy as I am. )

I have a data logger as well, but I've never been tempted to get a display screen for it. The Ultralap seems like the perfect solution to any situation outside of those groups that ban lap timers.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack,
The G2X requires that you set the Start/Finish position once. From that point forward, it automatically starts lap timing every session when you hit the S/F point. Will keep doing this the following day, or the next time you drive the track, provided that its the same track. When you go to another track, you need to set S/F once as above.

It holds a single S/F coordinate, so each time you change tracks you need to reset the coordinate for the current track.

The G2X starts logging automatically when speed > 25MPH, and stops logging when the car is stopped for > preset time. That's a nice feature. You can replay the laps after each session on the dash display. There is no equivalent to the very cool Intercomp feature which displays best lap at the end of a session.

I've currently got two loggers in the car, a DL and a G2X, plus the Intercomp lap timer. One more weekend with the G2X to prove that everything is race-ready [mainly sensor operation] and both the DL and the InterComp will be for sale :-)
Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Jack,
The G2X requires that you set the Start/Finish position once. From that point forward, it automatically starts lap timing every session when you hit the S/F point. Will keep doing this the following day, or the next time you drive the track, provided that its the same track. When you go to another track, you need to set S/F once as above.

It holds a single S/F coordinate, so each time you change tracks you need to reset the coordinate for the current track.

The G2X starts logging automatically when speed > 25MPH, and stops logging when the car is stopped for > preset time. That's a nice feature. You can replay the laps after each session on the dash display. There is no equivalent to the very cool Intercomp feature which displays best lap at the end of a session.

I've currently got two loggers in the car, a DL and a G2X, plus the Intercomp lap timer. One more weekend with the G2X to prove that everything is race-ready [mainly sensor operation] and both the DL and the InterComp will be for sale :-)
Sent you a reply to your PM.

Bro
Old 06-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Bro-

Check your PM
Old 06-27-2006, 11:22 PM
phils87951
Instructor

the Alfano can work off a beacon, just get the reciever.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:40 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Thanks for all the input. The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to get a data acquisition system. I will be sending each of you that discussed data acq systems a bill for a portion of the $$$ I'm going to shell out.

Thanks,
Bro
Old 07-07-2006, 02:16 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Well, I bit the bullet and got a Race Technology DL1 and DASH1. I'll document the install and provide user feedback in this forum. I'm thinking of mounting the DL1 in the front trunk and using a remote switch. (Damn, the trunk is getting full; PS pump, Cool Shirt cooler, now the DL1...)

Bro

Quick Reply: Questions re Alfano timing stuff