Sponsored by:

Torsion bars...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006 | 10:27 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torsion bars...

Do torsion bars get tired over time? Do they lose their ability to keep a car level in turns? Or is this more of a sway bar issue?

I can't say that I've noticed it while driving on the track, but some photos from last weekend show it leaning pretty good. In fact a lot more than I would have thought.

I have 23 and 30 mm bars with urethane bushings, 22 mm sway bars, Bilstein HDs up front and Koni sports in the rear, camber plates, strut tower brace, 18 BBS wheels with Dunlop slicks, etc.

Jim
Attached Images  

Last edited by A930Rocket; 05-27-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-26-2006 | 10:57 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks more like chassis flex to me.

No really, this is one of the reasons why whenever possible, racing Porsches change over from torsion bars to coil springs. You just cannot get stiff enough torsion bars for the track, and the cars lean too much on the really grippy tires. If it were my car, I'd at least go for the 34 mm rear bars, revalved Bilstein Sports, and a larger front sway bar (I do not think that you can get larger torsion bars for the front). For the record, I ran 23s & 30s on my Carrera at 2700 lbs on R tires and I felt that it could have been stiffer.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-26-2006 | 11:35 PM
Team SSR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming they are not damaged (cracked) torsion bars (and coil springs) will never lose their rate. They may lose ride height, but not rate.
Old 05-27-2006 | 10:53 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately...

The pre-964 911 chassis is about as stiff as a wet noodle. At a fairly early point, adding stiff springs doesn't do anything anymore. You reach a point where linearity dissappears, in setup, tuning, response... everything. Coilovers are also not a no brainer, because the rear upper mounts are not designed to handle much of a load, and indeed WILL NOT.

At least T-bars are easy to deal with in a 911... relatively.

Does it look like a lot of decamber in the front too?
Old 05-27-2006 | 11:38 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Guys.

This picture is the worse case scenerio of all that I saw from that weekend. I'm going to try a few suspension changes and see what happens.

Where can I get larger sway bars?
Old 05-27-2006 | 11:42 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I run 23/33 Sander Engineering torsion bars. The Bilstein sports are not up to the task with this setup so JRZ's are coming my way. You can get all of your suspension goodies and a bunch of advice from Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems.

http://rennsportsystems.com/
Old 05-27-2006 | 11:58 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Thanks Guys.

This picture is the worse case scenerio of all that I saw from that weekend. I'm going to try a few suspension changes and see what happens.

Where can I get larger sway bars?
Hey;

Sways work well on street cars with soft springs and no other adjustability. It is not widely accepted, or known anyway, but sways don't play the role that most people think when you get into track cars. You find that springs are what control roll, and sways are there for basic balance tuning. Beyond that, shock damping control is for fine tuning.

I don't think you would find sways having a large effect on your situation. I don't know what the pound rates of the 911 t-bars is, off hand, but I'd guess you are still pretty soft. With the grip levels generated by 18" slicks, I'd say you are asking a lot from those bars and shocks. Here's that slippery slope!
Old 05-27-2006 | 12:25 PM
Fast82930
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running 23/31 bars from Sander's Engineering. I was going to change to the 33 rear bars but decided to go with 200lbs helper springs with a little bit of pre-load. This gives a nice balance to the f/r wheel rates.

Lyall
Old 05-27-2006 | 01:55 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

John has a very good point about the stiffness of torsion bars versus springs. With my 23/33 combination, I still deal with a fair amount of lean on corners. A full coil over suspension is out of the question for me, but it is something that you may consider if you're running slicks and an enhanced engine. I'm going for better shocks to better manage the suspension movement that I have.
Old 05-27-2006 | 05:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

OK. Bigger sway bars are out. Bigger torsion bars and better shocks are in. 30mm solid is the biggest I have seen. Are there any hollow bars that have a higher rating?

John, Would the torsion bar and coil over with helper spring combo be acceptable compared to a full coil over in the rear or all around, as it's only a helper?
Old 05-27-2006 | 08:23 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a bigger wing would help............ according to TD......
Old 05-27-2006 | 08:29 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

The tops have been known to pop off the rear shock mounts even with only stiffer shocks present. The helper coilover idea may be a good compromise since you could probably get away with minimal reinforcement -vs- a more extensive full coilover stiff spring job.

Next time the engine is out, plan on doing some shock mount mods. Or... plan on dropping the engine now. The simple method is to just weld up the cap, or add some plate on top of the mount to keep the cap from blowing through. More extensive mods begin with plating the top cap and tieing it into the pedestal or crossmember itself, and end at REPLACING the crossmember completely.

I'm away from home, or I'd post some pics for you. I'll post next week.

----------------------------------------------
Reporting Live from Brockville, Ont.
Old 05-27-2006 | 08:30 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Well, you know what they say. Bigger is better...

Originally Posted by bobt993
I think a bigger wing would help............ according to TD......
Old 05-29-2006 | 03:07 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

Home again. Here are the pics. I did this in a 930. You can see the stock top cap. You can gain a lot of strength by simply welding up what is there. I plated the top with 1/2" steel to do full coilovers. The side pedestal was added as a tube perch.

Then there is the more extreme example.

These should give you some ideas.
Old 05-29-2006 | 10:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Thanks John.

To be clear, did you cut off the old top that looks spot welded on and then cap with the 1/2 plate?

From the picture, it looks like it would be easier from the passenger compartment due to the angle?

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

Home again. Here are the pics. I did this in a 930. You can see the stock top cap. You can gain a lot of strength by simply welding up what is there. I plated the top with 1/2" steel to do full coilovers. The side pedestal was added as a tube perch.

These should give you some ideas.

Quick Reply: Torsion bars...