Sponsored by:

Anyone else here run with NASA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:23 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone else here run with NASA?

I still can't believe how much fun it was to pass anywhere on the track (with or without a point)

...it was a first for me so at first I was a bit intimidated and I did some harry passing in the marbles offline in some interesting areas but WOW did that add a whole new element into the mix!

I think I might actually want to get my competition license at some point (when I can afford to run more)...

WHAT FUN!

I'm wondering if I got spoiled now and will not have as much fun at all the other club events where you can only pass on some straights ..I sure hope not!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:05 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it you just did your first HPDE4 with NASA? It's a whole new experience isn't it? Unfortunately, you are now spoiled and will not enjoy the sessions that have passing zones anywhere near as much.

To answer the question ... yes. I now race with PRC (seperate sessions in NASA events).
Old 04-29-2006, 03:31 AM
bruinbro
Pro

I was the responsible engineer for the instrument arm and one of the instruments on the Mars Rovers.

Does that count as running with NASA?

Bro
Old 04-29-2006, 04:03 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tom W
I take it you just did your first HPDE4 with NASA? It's a whole new experience isn't it? Unfortunately, you are now spoiled and will not enjoy the sessions that have passing zones anywhere near as much.

To answer the question ... yes. I now race with PRC (seperate sessions in NASA events).
yes indeed... NASA is pretty new to the Midwest and we just joined at one of their intro to midwest meetings..

We were pleased to find out that we didn't have to start out in group 1... We ran the 1st session with group III and sort of terrorized them and hated it (were ready to just leave for the day because of so much slow traffic) so we got immediately bumped to group 4 and it was AMAZING!!!

The differences between NASA HPDE 3 and 4 and night and day! ..and I don't think I'll get tired of group 4 anytime soon

I'm actually upset now that we can only run one more event with them this year.. I have the strange feeling that we might just go through the comp school in Oct. at RA (our only other NASA track event this year that doesn't conflict with other schedules) -- OR 1st thing next year... we'll see..

Heck, we even joked about flying out for one of the other NASA events out in California during our off-season and taking a rental car to the track

I couldn't believe it because my 2nd lap I was already passing in the carosel at BHF (in the marbles no less)

It's so much closer to an actual race and just adds that extra element of excitement to the mix. It's a whole new level of addiction!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:33 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
yes indeed... NASA is pretty new to the Midwest and we just joined at one of their intro to midwest meetings..

We were pleased to find out that we didn't have to start out in group 1... We ran the 1st session with group III and sort of terrorized them and hated it (were ready to just leave for the day because of so much slow traffic) so we got immediately bumped to group 4 and it was AMAZING!!!

The differences between NASA HPDE 3 and 4 and night and day! ..and I don't think I'll get tired of group 4 anytime soon

I'm actually upset now that we can only run one more event with them this year.. I have the strange feeling that we might just go through the comp school in Oct. at RA (our only other NASA track event this year that doesn't conflict with other schedules) -- OR 1st thing next year... we'll see..

Heck, we even joked about flying out for one of the other NASA events out in California during our off-season and taking a rental car to the track

I couldn't believe it because my 2nd lap I was already passing in the carosel at BHF (in the marbles no less)

It's so much closer to an actual race and just adds that extra element of excitement to the mix. It's a whole new level of addiction!!!

Your mission, if you should choose to accept it; take a Skippy three day race course and thencomplete 2 or 3 Skippy lapping days. From there, apply for your PCA club race license. Welcome to the world of racing!! It does not get any better. Just find out what class your P-car is and go for it! Also, you can stay with the open wheel cars of Skippy and have a blast with someone elses machines!! (stay out of the marbles; the coefficient of friction diminishes exponentially with speed out there. In a race setting, the marble zones will be much wider out into the edge of the turns but in DE; the zones are still a bit narrow and you might find yourself going 4-wheeling!!)
Old 04-29-2006, 08:36 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinbro
I was the responsible engineer for the instrument arm and one of the instruments on the Mars Rovers.

Does that count as running with NASA?

Bro
which end does the coffee come out from? those guys look like they need a cup real bad
Old 04-29-2006, 10:51 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by leif997
which end does the coffee come out from? those guys look like they need a cup real bad
Considering that the thing moves about as fast as a Galapogos tortise, we were always needing a caffiene high.

Bro
Old 04-29-2006, 11:15 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

LOL!

Hey, CE - you should check out the OH/IN NASA Chapter schedule - it's a whole lot closer than Cali, and they should have lots more events scheduled...
Old 04-29-2006, 11:59 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 924RACR
LOL!

Hey, CE - you should check out the OH/IN NASA Chapter schedule - it's a whole lot closer than Cali, and they should have lots more events scheduled...

yes, we talked about maybe going to one of the Mid-Ohio events..

...and VIR looks like a ton of fun... We'll see.. my car is NOT the most comfortable to drive to events so I'm not sure how well I'd feel after a 7 hour drive to Mid-Ohio (but I'll find out this year) ....sometimes I miss our tow vehicle and trailer but our next trailer has to be a double trailer for his and her's
Old 04-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have enjoyed TracQuest events, now Chin Motorsports on the East Coast, for the same open passing reasons. They typically run three groups:

Novice - passing on straights with a signal
Intermediate - straights, no signal, corners with signal
Advanced/Instructor - anywhere without a signal

And, Instructors attend free of charge!
Old 04-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I still can't believe how much fun it was to pass anywhere on the track (with or without a point)

...it was a first for me so at first I was a bit intimidated and I did some harry passing in the marbles offline in some interesting areas but WOW did that add a whole new element into the mix!

I think I might actually want to get my competition license at some point (when I can afford to run more)...

WHAT FUN!

I'm wondering if I got spoiled now and will not have as much fun at all the other club events where you can only pass on some straights ..I sure hope not!
I've only done one NASA event but they seem to be doing a lot of things right. The event I did was very safe but felt "looser" than some of the PCA stuff. More focus on getting you back as a customer and less focus on being so uptight about everything. Everything cuts both ways, PCA is fun because the classes and rules let you run a much more even contest. On the other hand, it's fun to see mixed marques and have somebody else work the corners.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:11 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

NASA told us they are a 'for profit' organization so that MIGHT have something to do with the added fun factor yet safe envirnment to run in..

PCA is not-for-profit so you tend to deal with some different things with volunteers...
Old 04-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

NASA told us they are a 'for profit' organization so that MIGHT have something to do with the added fun factor yet safe envirnment to run in..

PCA is not-for-profit so you tend to deal with some different things with volunteers...
And for me the capitalism works. The entry cost is more but that is a minor part of the expense anyways. You do feel the desire to have you return at the event I went to as well.

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 04-29-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:28 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
And for me the capitalism works. The entry cost is more but that a minor part of the expense anyways. You do feel that desire to have you return at the event I went to as well.

yes indeed.. and that 'any passenger allowed' rule (doesn't even have to be a registered participant) at a NASA event is nice as well
Old 04-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Skip the skippy school and do one of the NASA supercomp schools. Save thousands and learn just about as much. Plus, by the end of the second day, they ususally let run a race in the afternoon from the back of the grid . voila! you have a license and a race under your belt - only 3 more and you can pull your rookie stripes!

As PCA now appears to be accepting NASA licenses - you're good to go.

Quick Reply: Anyone else here run with NASA?