Sponsored by:

Anyone else here run with NASA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Marks

As PCA now appears to be accepting NASA licenses - you're good to go.
I didn't know NASA acreditation worked with PCA. Is this at a national level or with your region? News to me but potentially good news.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:08 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip the skippy school and do one of the NASA supercomp schools. Save thousands and learn just about as much. Plus, by the end of the second day, they ususally let run a race in the afternoon from the back of the grid . voila! you have a license and a race under your belt - only 3 more and you can pull your rookie stripes!

excellent.. the plan was the comp NASA school at RA in October.. so that sounds great! thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My understanding (and this may be incorrect - there are others on the board more knowledgeable than I in this area) was that PCA would take NASA licenses nationwide - and is in part tied in with the addition of the 944 cup/spec cars to Club Racing. They can be used to apply for a provisional license in the same way you would use an SCCA, etc. license.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:51 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I attended the Driving Concepts NASA school @ Blackhawk Farms in ILL over Easter weekend. The school was awesome! Excellent instruction and "drills" to get everyone framiliarized with virtually all (even rain) track and safety situations. I have recently applied for my NASA rookie license to run GTS challenge in the midwest and I also applied for my PCA provisional license. I am hoping that PCA will issue me my license at the same time that NASA does, or I will have to wait until NASA paperwork is complete. I plan on running NASA oh/in @ putman in May...
Old 04-29-2006, 11:18 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip the skippy school and do one of the NASA supercomp schools. Save thousands and learn just about as much. Plus, by the end of the second day, they ususally let run a race in the afternoon from the back of the grid . voila! you have a license and a race under your belt - only 3 more and you can pull your rookie stripes!

Good point; Skippy is expensive, but I do not have any NASA experiences to compare to....Skippy is very thorough and comprehensive with immediate radio feed back and corrections on site.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Rob in NJ
Intermediate

I've only run one event with NASA and that was my first event ever. So, it's pretty hard to give a good opinion of the club. I'm scheduled for VIR (hyperfest) with the NASA under their HPDE III level group now, so it should be a good time. I'm not ready for corner bombing, yet.

I've done a bunch of clubs, NASA, Car Guys, Tracquest [last year], Chin, and tons of PCA events. Overall I'd have to say that I enjoyed the PCA events the most. It seems that the PCA events run better and they were a lot less accidents with them.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:41 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

NO ACCIDENTS with NASA at all.. not that i saw at blackhawk anyway.. now some cars went off track but they didn't hit any one else either..
Old 04-30-2006, 01:49 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob in NJ:

Wait til you get more events under your belt. Then you'll want those unlimited passing zones. From what I've seen with NASA, Traquest, and Chin, the open passing is totally safe. Why? - because you've got experienced people out there. And if there are people that get into the groups that shouldn't be there, trust me, they won't be there long, because if they cause an issue, or look unsafe, someone will address it with the organizer right then and there, and they'll get bumped down a group. (at least thats what I've seen).

I don't like being treated like a Green group student with the passing zones. I was very very very pleased when I went to the Zone 2 event and they allowed Red to pass in any straight. Not totally open passing, but hey, its alot better than what I've seen at the PCA events in the past. I loved it.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:36 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes, there was someone over his head in HPDE 4 and it was addressed very quickly -- NASA seems to be very on top of that...

very nice to be a part of and we are looking forward to more NASA events in the future

Old 04-30-2006, 03:29 AM
svochuck
Instructor

also check out the RMR NASA they will be as far east as topeka ... don't know how far that is for you... closer than CA.
chuck
Old 04-30-2006, 12:31 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have been participating as both a racer and instructor with NASA Ohio/Indiana for three years and have had nothing but good experiences. The racers are very professional and the events are well run by a very good staff.

Quick Reply: Anyone else here run with NASA?