Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage with 2 post lift

Old 03-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the 10,000 lb Bend Pak lift.
I had posted these photos once already, but what the hell, here they are again.
Attached Images       
Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you to all for your responses. Please keep them coming.

Right now I've just returned from the zoning dept. for the city and there is one area so far that will be a problem and require a hearing to see if I can get a variance. They have a rule that says you can not have more than 35% of lot covered with house, garages, etc. Right now I'm at about 33% with out a detached garage.

I think I can meet all the other requirements which deal with height restrictions, setbacks from my neighbors and from the marsh, but that variance business, to have more than 35% of lot to have building on it looks to be a pain.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:11 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron

Right now I've just returned from the zoning dept. for the city and there is one area so far that will be a problem and require a hearing to see if I can get a variance. They have a rule that says you can not have more than 35% of lot covered with house, garages, etc. Right now I'm at about 33% with out a detached garage.

I think I can meet all the other requirements which deal with height restrictions, setbacks from my neighbors and from the marsh, but that variance business, to have more than 35% of lot to have building on it looks to be a pain.
Fwiw, I needed a variance for my project, too. Our setbacks on the side are 75' and my garage is like 68'. It was not a unanimous vote to approve my garage, either. Someone made my list that day...
Old 03-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron

It's pretty tight on zoning where I live. When I was building the garage somebody with the city looked at all the power and the bathroom with shower and decided I was building a second house. They thought the power outlets were for a stove and laundry room. They "red taped" or stopped work on everyting including the house. Even though the initial plans were approved I had to sign an agreement to a $100/day penalty if anybody takes up residence in the garage. Us car people are just not understood.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Mike A. - What are the dimensions of you're garage?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:30 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a problem in that our neighborhood covenants required a detached garage to be less than 720 SF and the town had a height restriction of 18' to the ridge.

I made a 3 car, but made one side 480 SF and the other 240 SF. The big side is my workshop (with a 18' door) and other (with a 9' door) is my wife's lawn stuff.

I vaulted the ceiling to 14' to get a lift in there, but the space is just too small. I'm going to get a lift that I can drive over and lift the car by the floor pan. Not ideal but it will work for most everything.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:09 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Ron,

Just make sure you have a thick concrete floor. I had to dig mine up and pour 4ft. of concrete down for each post to install my Challenger lift with a 10,000lb. rating.
I don't doubt your need for this, but holy cow, what was the problem with your slab? Most lifts want 4-6" of 3000-4000psi concrete. I'm thinking you could install a large telescope or naval artillery on a 4 foot thick pier...
Old 03-21-2006, 12:24 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of a hijack, but does anyone out there have a pit instead of a lift and if so, how do you like using a pit? I was thinking that for the height challenged garages either a pit or a combination of a pit and a lift might work.

Bro
Old 03-21-2006, 12:28 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
I don't doubt your need for this, but holy cow, what was the problem with your slab? Most lifts want 4-6" of 3000-4000psi concrete. I'm thinking you could install a large telescope or naval artillery on a 4 foot thick pier...
LOL Hey that is what the lift company told me and I wasn't taking any chances of having a car, and lift come down on me and end my day or life.My slab was only 2.5ft. deep.

Last edited by MHC2S; 03-21-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 feet thick slab? The pillar base bolts are the weak link as the grip in a 4 inch slab is the same as the grip in a 4 foot slab. The psi rating is important as the lower psi concrete will have less fastener retention. Cast in place J bolts would increase the retention a bit, more so if tied into the rebar. With many apps adding rebar will increase the design strength far more than just adding thickness to the slab.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:49 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Methinks there is some confusion between feet and inches. 4.5 inches sounds about right.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:18 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
4 feet thick slab? The pillar base bolts are the weak link as the grip in a 4 inch slab is the same as the grip in a 4 foot slab. The psi rating is important as the lower psi concrete will have less fastener retention. Cast in place J bolts would increase the retention a bit, more so if tied into the rebar. With many apps adding rebar will increase the design strength far more than just adding thickness to the slab.
Yes I stand corrected. It is 4inches NOT 4 Feet. My bad. I just got off the phone with my contractor that laid it down. He did pour 2.5 FEET of 3,500psi steel rod reinforced concrete for each post. Sorry it was over 5 years ago and I didn't remember it too well.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:56 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

No problem - your point is still well made, ensure that you have the right base before you trust your life to the lift :-)
Old 03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was thinking the same thing as well until the added post of the 2.5 foot slab added on. As was said most call for 4 inches of 3000 PSI or better.

Some real nice shops BTW.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:01 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bruinbro
A bit of a hijack, but does anyone out there have a pit instead of a lift and if so, how do you like using a pit? I was thinking that for the height challenged garages either a pit or a combination of a pit and a lift might work.

Bro
My dad and I built a pit (that I need to fill in one of these years). It works, but is a PITA to get in and out of, especially with a car in place to work. It did make it easier to pull out engines with transmissions attached, though. I wouldn't do it again.

I actually had a used low 2 post in my barn but couldn't get a concrete guy in to do some necessary floor work, so I sold it. I don't do much serious (drivetrain R&R) work much these days, so a midrise scissor lift will do.

What's your goal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage with 2 post lift