Sponsored by:

roll cage window net mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:39 PM
svochuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike
please take a few more pictures for me, your cage looks awesome going through the dash please give me a few pictures of the A pilar/halo area my cage seems lower than yours.

thanks
chuck
Old 04-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by svochuck
Mike
please take a few more pictures for me, your cage looks awesome going through the dash please give me a few pictures of the A pilar/halo area my cage seems lower than yours.

thanks
chuck
Thanks. No prob. Here are some I took the other week for another Rennlister. Can get some more this weekend.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mibuck/cage/
Old 04-11-2006, 11:12 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I 'hid' the top buckle catch behind the pillar bar similar to fatbillybob, just angled the catch downward a little more. Have had no trouble snagging body parts getting in/out.

If you want to keep the net from flapping around (regardless of how you attach it), have a custom one made to your specs and measure so it will be tight. I had M&R make a mesh one to fit my wierd shaped installation, and it's tight enough I have to use some force to snap the buckle while seated. But, no flapping. Only costs ~$10 more than the standard size/shape nets.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:02 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Cage nets?

An old thread, but a good one. What have you folks done about a right-side net, sometimes called a cage net? Note that the FIA requires that and HMS notes HERE that the FIA wants TWO cage nets AND a window net: "The FIA recommends that a net be installed on either side of the seat for driver restraint, the FIA does not view the exterior net as adequate for restraining the driver, they would like to see two interior nets whenever possible. Tudor series currently enforces this and mandates two interior nets as well as a window net."
Old 12-29-2018, 11:53 AM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
An old thread, but a good one. What have you folks done about a right-side net, sometimes called a cage net? Note that the FIA requires that and HMS notes HERE that the FIA wants TWO cage nets AND a window net: "The FIA recommends that a net be installed on either side of the seat for driver restraint, the FIA does not view the exterior net as adequate for restraining the driver, they would like to see two interior nets whenever possible. Tudor series currently enforces this and mandates two interior nets as well as a window net."
My car has Safecraft nets on either side of the seat. The center net anchors to the roll cage behind the dash via a quick release that exits just above the center vents. The “window” side net anchors to the vertical portion of the roll cage below the A pillar via a push button quick release. The window side net is easy to release from the belted in position and the same goes for attachment provided somebody hands it to you. Since the car has fixed side windows, I don’t need a third net.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:56 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
An old thread, but a good one. What have you folks done about a right-side net, sometimes called a cage net? Note that the FIA requires ."
I can only guess at why the FIA does what it does. A couple things come to mind. 1st safety is a system so all the parts have to work together, in this case FIA parts. 2nd FIA seats and how they are mounted. My years looking at this say top priority is solid driver containment. We have that with "full" containment seats. I have not seen an FIA seat that was "full containment " like a butler built NASCAR style seat. What I see are pseudo containment FIA 5 year seats mounted at the base at 4 places 90% of the time on sliders and lots of multi driver cars. They come with or without head surrounds and lateral wings both much shorter than full containment seats. How do you contain that? Cage nets! FIA 10 year seats have better containment but still are lacking when you look at a real full containment seat and still might be mounted at 6 places to the car. NASCAR butler built type full containment seats are bolted at 8 places to the cage not chassis and no sliders. IIRC the FIA 5year is only tested to 20G's for breakage from the base yet we have crash surviveability much much higher than that. So we need containment.

So if you have a bespoke car with full containment seat ala Butlerbuilt/LaJoie you may or maynot compromise on net choice. If you have a car with FIA seat on sliders for you and for buddies to run enduros, netting the car up FIA style is the right thing to do.

Do your research. This is my current understanding and I could be wrong or out of date.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Two really good responses, and quick, too.

I'd love to see a photo of dogger15's car showing that installation.

I use a window net instead of the GTC3 class-legal windows because I am certain that the window would not keep my head in the car. Using the right- and left-side FIA nets would solve that issue, and allow use of the windows. Not sure the weather during the summer race season in North America makes that a good or bad thing, though. In any event, I appreciate your analyses,
Old 12-29-2018, 12:56 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The center net mounts to the horizontal portion of the roll cage that runs along the firewall behind the dash. A quick release similar to a seat belt fitting is attached to one end. The belt is fed through the dash and exits between the center vent surround and the dash or any number of alternatives. I believe mine exits between the dash top and front piece.

Here's a picture:

Here's a link to the Safecraft website showing the center net in more detail:

https://www.safecraftracing.com/safe...ng-net-8011-k/

Here's a link to the outboard net:

https://www.safecraftracing.com/safe...ng-net-8111-k/

It is my understanding, the outboard containment net doesn't satisfy the window net standard because it comes to a point just below the window opening in front, leaving a big gap of open space for the driver to go through. As a result, the various sanctioning bodies require an additional full coverage net if the car runs open windows.

Quick Reply: roll cage window net mounting