Here it is.

The link on the PCA club race website.

http://www.pca.org/clubracing/docs/forms.htm
Old 02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the PCA 944 Spec rules. They mirror the 944-Spec rules.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
06_944-SPEC_Rules_FINAL[1].pdf (90.6 KB, 219 views)
Old 02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome that there is a one year "comfort zone" and input will be taken in, like other rules changes.

If anyone could clue in those of us who are not that technical on the differences between those rules and east coast rules. Also how this complements current PCA classes.

Someone who is going to race in SP1 could be a good resource for a great article in Club Racing News. (Photo of the fab driver published for free!)

If interested, e-mail me at esscape26@hotmail.com.

PM
(always working....for free....)
Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I think I saw 944 spec added to NASA florida.... (this months grassroots motorsports mag)

or?

was not in nasa-florida last year...
Old 02-23-2006, 02:45 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. Cannot wait to watch you guys duking it out!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Patti,

The 944 Spec rules are great for new comers or for those that have not made significant changes to their PCA I Class cars. However, most in I Class have at least installed the Racer's Edge bushings and this alone would be out of compliance per the 944 Spec Class. I am not going to take them back out.

The SP1 class is a great way to reduce the cost of entry and should produce some very close racing in the SP1 class.

I will continue to race with NASA in 944Cup and PCA in GT4S. There are enough of us in the Southeast that are in the same boat that we basically have our own race within a race at the PCA events and have fun doing it.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
Awesome that there is a one year "comfort zone" and input will be taken in, like other rules changes.

If anyone could clue in those of us who are not that technical on the differences between those rules and east coast rules. Also how this complements current PCA classes.

Someone who is going to race in SP1 could be a good resource for a great article in Club Racing News. (Photo of the fab driver published for free!)

If interested, e-mail me at esscape26@hotmail.com.

PM
(always working....for free....)

I will not be racing at the First SP-1 (as PCA 944 spec is being called) race. I will be there to take some pictures and probably put together an article for at least or local newsletter about it.

As for the details of the rules...

944 cup uses rules based on PCA I or H stock and SCCA ITS rules. There are a few allowance that are different. Mostly the weight of the cars. 944-spec rules were a ground up set of rules so they are more restrictive in many cases.

Basicly where an I or H car will fall foul of the 944 spec rules is suspension details and wheels/tires. Clearly wheels and tires are changeable, but things like rear coilovers, Moton, JRZ, Leda etc, and spherical bushings are not so easy to change.

ITS cars may have engines prepared over the limit as well as issues with bushings and shocks.

944 Spec cars are allowed stock motors including aftermarket chips.
Basic suspensions with front camber plates and "street" shocks with no coilovers and 30 mm max t-bars. Cars can be stripped liberally, but must keep stock steel fenders, glass (except for doors) and front & rear spoilers.
944 spec car also run a spec tire. 225/50 R15 Toyo RA-1's on 15x7 cookie cutters or phone dials.

All of these rules were developed with the intent of limiting build costs, while keeping the cars fun to drive and reliable.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:32 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Joe,
This is very cool as other Spec classes have done well nationally. Due to the limit on cost and the close racing it makes for a great time and is not a huge commitment($$$). Also fun from a spectator standpoint as cars often run nose to tail for an entire race.

Hopefully this class will grow and there could be "nationals". For now it is regionalized.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:59 PM
ryoji
Advanced

What is the difference between 944 spec rule(I think it is NASA) and spec 944 rule(SCCA) --- I was told there are few differences? Does anyone show a table comparison? And which one PCA uses? Or PCA has another derivatives?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by ryoji
What is the difference between 944 spec rule(I think it is NASA) and spec 944 rule(SCCA) --- I was told there are few differences? Does anyone show a table comparison? And which one PCA uses? Or PCA has another derivatives?

Thanks
spec 944 (SCCA) rules set are rules for the Arizona Region of SCCA. The rules themselves are very different in structure, but are 95% the same. They use the ITS rules as base and then list as series of changes that allow for cars very similar to the NASA rules. The difference goes back to a split between the founders of 944 spec racing in the beginning. This lead to forming 944 spec type groups in SCCA and NASA. The basic intent of 944-spec (NASA) and spec-944 (SCCA- Az Region) are the same.

The PCA rules reflect the NASA rule set. Note the POC rule set (944 GSR) is 99% the same as the NASA rule set (I think the only difference is no welded diffs). It was developed from the NASA rule set, but with one or two specific changes. Tim Comeau knows more about the POC rule set as he races with them.

Right now there is probably a 70% cross over between folks racing in POC vs NASA. There is probalby at 5-10% cross over between the SCCA and NASA racers mostly due to politics and geography rather than real car differences.

There is 0% cross over between 944 cup and 944 spec due to geography firstly. There would be rules issues if the cars came together at the same place. There was some discussion between 944 spec and 944 cup relating to the NASA National Championship. As it stands for 2006 the classes are too different to allow for a meaningfull combined "one class" race. This may change for 2007 and beyond, but nothing is in the works right now.

If pressed I figure 95% of racers could run in 944 -spec (nasa), spec-944 (SCCA-Az) or 944 GSR (POC) competitively in the same class to the same rules if there was one event large enough to have the folks step across the minor techincal divide between the class rules.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:02 PM
ryoji
Advanced

So what is the difference btwn 944 spec and spec-944? Is fully prep 944 spec car illegal on spec-944 and spec-944 car is illegal in 944 spec? Is the spec-944 just for Arizona, possiblility to grow out to other regions of scca? I've never heard of it among scca before at all.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 06:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Right now spec-944 is an Arizona Region class only. I don't believe their are any plans to expand.
NASA just started a region in the New York/New Jersey area and 944 spec is an offered class. Right now I don't know any 944 spec cars in that area however.

Will fully preppared SCCA car be legal in the NASA/PCA/POC spec Class? NO

Are most SCCA spec cars legal for NASA/PCA/POC spec class? YES if they use the right tires/wheels.

Will full prepared NASA/PCA/POC spec car be legal in the SCCA spec class? MAYBE

Here is why.

Some rule differences between Spec classes

-----944 spec(NASA National) & PCA SP-1-----------------Spec-944 (SCCA-Az only Region)
Tires---Toyo RA-1 225/50 R15-----------------------------225/50 R15 or smaller DOT Brand open
Wheels--15x7 Cookie cutters/Phone dials-----------------15x6, 15x7, 15x8 open
Weight ---2600lbs with driver-------------------------------2625lbs with driver
Shocks -- Koni Yellow/Bilstein sports-----------------------Non Remote Res
Exhaust---- Free from head--------------------------------free from head, but "muffer" required
Max Track -- Stock for 944--------------------------------- not specified

Their may be a few more, but I have not checked the rules side by side.

Bottomline is the rules are VERY close, but there are few key items which may cause issues. In reality I believe nearly all the existing SCCA cars could run in the NASA classes if the tire/wheel thing is addressed.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:32 PM
SFreeman
Advanced

PCA recently contacted Derecola about adding 944 Cup and 944 Super Cup to PCA as their own classes. He is in charge (command/control? whatever you want to call it) of Cup and SC and he is going to work with them to move things forward.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

What is this going to do to existing events like Watkins Glen or Sebring that already sell out? Will they decrease the amount of track time per group, increase the size of the groups, or will this just take spots away from other classes?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Al P.
Pro

Originally Posted by 38D
What is this going to do to existing events like Watkins Glen or Sebring that already sell out? Will they decrease the amount of track time per group, increase the size of the groups, or will this just take spots away from other classes?
I think they're going to eliminate GTC1 for starters

Quick Reply: PCA 944 spec - Official Annoucement & Rules