PCA 944 spec - Official Annoucement & Rules

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Al P.
I think they're going to eliminate GTC1 for starters
No I don't think they will do that just yet.

They will wait till Colin sells the D car and get his GTC1 car.
Much more fun that way
Old 02-24-2006, 07:12 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
No I don't think they will do that just yet.

They will wait till Colin sells the D car and get his GTC1 car.
Much more fun that way
Nice.

But seriously, many events already sell out like Sebring, Watkins Glen and Road America. Making a new class that has the potential for 40+ cars will potentially create a fairly large issue. I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about that.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess is that just like right now the overall field is limited to XXX cars. It will be the same except some of these will be in the new spec class.

I have never hear of a certain class being limited in size. Run groups can be, but you can juggle the classes in the run group some even things up. SP-1 should run with classes I, H, G, or F. That is about the speed range of the cars. At some events there is a run group split somewhere in the above classing. So where will SP-1 go? Where ever there is room.

I also suspect there will be folks in existing PCA classes that will switch to the 944 spec SP-1 class. Thus while you will have some growth you will also capture some of those not happy with their current classing. When GTC4 was added were any other classes restricted? I don't believe so.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I think it's more a case of PCA responding to members' needs. They did the same thing when they split up the GTC classes into three and now four classes. After the 993 Cup was bumper from B to GT-2, several request were made to add a 993 Cup class. PCA responded and added that class as well as the 964 Cup. Look what the 996 Cup cars did to the GT1 and GT2 classes. I remember when the fastest group was filled with these cars. Now its only a handful. The 944 Cup has an actual points series. I suspect that these races will take precedence for the 944 Cup drivers (is it 944 Cup or 44Cup?)

Maybe a registrar can speak up, but I don't believe that they hold xxx number of spots for certain classes. I'm also under the impression that PCA Club Racing National is the final say on which classes go where for particular groups.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
I think it's more a case of PCA responding to members' needs. They did the same thing when they split up the GTC classes into three and now four classes. After the 993 Cup was bumper from B to GT-2, several request were made to add a 993 Cup class. PCA responded and added that class as well as the 964 Cup. Look what the 996 Cup cars did to the GT1 and GT2 classes. I remember when the fastest group was filled with these cars. Now its only a handful. The 944 Cup has an actual points series. I suspect that these races will take precedence for the 944 Cup drivers (is it 944 Cup or 44Cup?)

Maybe a registrar can speak up, but I don't believe that they hold xxx number of spots for certain classes. I'm also under the impression that PCA Club Racing National is the final say on which classes go where for particular groups.
actually it was 944 cup till a certain company that shall remain nameless decided that the number 944 was theirs,it is now 44 Cup

I doubt you'll see many of the 44 Cup racers as the rules for 944 Spec / Spec 944 (how'd they get to keep the name?) are very different and to compete it would probably require a signifigant investment to race in a class that's designed to keep costs down. Not that I think there's anything wrong with the series our "out West brothers" have put together just that the cars don't match up well. 44 Cup allows 16" wheels, Spec 944 ONLY 15's, which would mean I would need to find three sets of 15's (yeah I know they're cheap but not free) remove the turbo Cup rear shocks add 30mm torsion bars replace the front springs to match the new rear spring rate etc. etc. etc.....................

Now if Dave's listening (and I know he is) he's probably already working on getting an SP-2 and SP-3 class so that this will also work for the existing 44 Cup and Super Cup guys here on the East coast
Old 02-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Default pca 944 spec

Manny, you are correct that PCA club racing registrars do not hold open X # of spots for any class. Rather, the stewards and registrars establish a total number of cars for a particular race, based on cars per mile taking into account the particular track, and open registrations. As registrations fill, the registrar and stewards will work together to set up the specific run groups. In other words, for the larger races, it's first come, first served with the only exception being that if your group fills up, we normally don't run cars down in class, unless they are double driver cars. Lesson to be learned is, send in your registrations early. It makes the registrar's life easier anyway.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:08 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
I think I saw 944 spec added to NASA florida.... (this months grassroots motorsports mag)

or?

was not in nasa-florida last year...
That article was on the 944 Cup and this is the first year for the series in Florida.
http://www.44cupflorida.com/
Old 02-25-2006, 10:23 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim Pruitt
I will continue to race with NASA in 944Cup and PCA in GT4S. There are enough of us in the Southeast that are in the same boat that we basically have our own race within a race at the PCA events and have fun doing it.

Tim:

Good news for you and the other 944 racers in the SE and other locations throughout the country, with cars having the type of mods you mention.

The first round of discussions with PCA and the 944 Cup officials took place yesterday with very positive results. PCA is commtted to have classes for the 944 Cup and Super Cup cars, allowing you to move out of GT4S if u want. Cup officials are of the same mind, so I'm certain this will happen.( I hear ya Al P.) A big thanks to PCA for opening their doors.

Cannot give you exact timing on when this will happen, but because the 944 Cup rules almost mirror the PCA Stock rules, it will not be difficult to get these new classes up and running. The 944 Cup already adopts all the rules of PCA for engine and suspension mods. The major difference between the PCA and 944 Cup rules relate to the minimum weight and the allowances that the Cup provides to meet the lower weights, like removing interior parts, the AC and including the driver, etc.

Last edited by 944Cup; 02-25-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:43 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
The 944 Cup has an actual points series. I suspect that these races will take precedence for the 944 Cup drivers (is it 944 Cup or 44Cup?)

I'm also under the impression that PCA Club Racing National is the final say on which classes go where for particular groups.
Manny, think your right in both cases.

From the 944 Cup standpoint, the 2006 schedule is already in place, so don't see the PCA Glen or other East Coast races being added to the Cup schedule for 2006 as a points race. (well Daytona would be nice)

I could see where the 944 Cup, the series, would like to hold points races at some PCA events further West or in 2007, but this type of special scheduling would need to be coordinated with PCA on a case by case basis to make sure it works for the PCA Club Race Porgram.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Way to go DD! Looks like everyone will get to play now!

Matt
Old 02-26-2006, 01:08 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

I'll second what Manny & Steward explained - registration is first-come-first-served. Once car-per-mile limits (capacity) are reached, wait lists are started. The National PCA Chief Steward then decides the make-up of the run groups, based on numbers of cars registered in each class and their relative speeds.
Alan
(three years worth of Mid-Oh registrar)
Old 03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Vive la difference (w/bad spelling)!
But I hope some 944s stay in I, to retain the original intent of the "stock interior" or "old school" PCA sentiments. In 44Cup, unlike I-cars that race there, Class H 944s and 2.7s don't have the same 'mandatory' step of taking out the interiors, etc. to make the lower 44Cup weight because they start closer to it.

I still like the idea of Class I being an entry class where you can just go racing and don't have to be a mechanic-type. Stripping interiors just adds even more burdens and time for preparation at the beginning that other stock PCA classes don't have.

As a poster pointed out, the Spec idea is one model w/specs, rather than equivalency across classes or models. 44Cup philosophy should most likely not use Spec moniker in PCA or it is confusing with existing classes.

For the record, I have no issue with weighing car and driver together. Like Class I could be 2779+ 175=2954 or something.

One point I do have from the records is that the lap times for designated "I-cars" in 44Cup seem much lower than Class I lap times in PCA, so they are definitely not the same cars. Many I-cars do not race concurrently in PCA and 44Cup due to interiors and weight differences.

I am hoping "stock" H and I will be combined in PCA, with weight added to the H cars.

PM
Old 03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

44 Cup cars are not required to remove interiors - it's an option. Most I cars and H cars can run to either set of rules (PCA or 944 cup) - with the exception of those cars that have removed their A/C equipment and/or interiors. The only substantive difference other than the interior is minimum weights. PCA weights IIRC are typically higher than 44cup weights even though Cup weights include driver.

Even the people who've removed intereriors are typically running ballast, so I'm not sure how much it gets you.

Check out the website for rules and more info.

www.44cup.com
Old 03-07-2006, 04:39 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Look inside the 2.5 cars!
I am not saying 'it's the rules,' just that people do it alot, in order to get to the lower weight. Hence the quotes on mandatory.

My car weighs 2844 w/1/8 tank, no driver, w/full interior & AC & that's, w/driver, nearly 200-300 pounds over Cup. The AC (compressor?) has to be bolted in for PCA but you can put it anywhere you want. I have fiberglass front bumper, lighter wheels and removed all the minor items allowed by the PCA rules.

I know 4 people who fdo PCA only because we don't want to dig in & get the 'interior covering materials' back on for PCA. I hear even the covering materials (such as the lower back seat) are worth some weight.

I always do 1 Cup race to show my loyalty to DDs wonderful operation. This is just the personal opinion of a PCA I-class regular who wants a place to race as Class I is.

PM
Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by esscape26
Look inside the 2.5 cars!
I am not saying 'it's the rules,' just that people do it alot, in order to get to the lower weight. My car weighs 2844 w/1/8 tank, no driver, w/full interior & AC & that's, w/driver, nearly 200-300 pounds over Cup. The AC (compressor?) has to be bolted in for PCA but you can put it anywhere you want. I have fiberglass front bumper, lighter wheels and removed all the minor items allowed by the PCA rules.
Patti:

Sure would be nice to see you and the Hitman come out more often. From what you listed, I can see a 100 lbs you can shed and still be PCA Stock class legal. That takes you down to where most of the 2.5 L's are actually runniing. You may not be at minimum but that's the case with most of your competiton. So just come out an have a good time. You have shown your competitve at your current weight with 9 top 10's out of 12 races, including 2 podiums.

DD

Quick Reply: PCA 944 spec - Official Annoucement & Rules