Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona now on official PCA club race schedule

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006 | 03:22 PM
DanS911
Pro

As I understand it this is a three year contract.
Which is great, I am just concerned that if it starts off without a DE there will be a strong tendency to continue that way once the program has been defined.

The model has been refined over a number of years at the 48hrs, and has been very successful.
Old 03-07-2006 | 05:20 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Tremendous energy on this issue and I also vote for DE. One argument I have heard is that with the number of racers and limited time, practice sessions would be rather short for a banked high speed track.

Christian in Orlando
Old 03-07-2006 | 06:47 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

So is the DE to be one shot deal this time?

If we wait a year...it might be the next year or never?

I'm not familiar with the 48 hours, but there are a lot of competent DE drivers who would like to go, but there is very little if any opportunity at Daytona.

Originally Posted by DanS911
As I understand it this is a three year contract.
Which is great, I am just concerned that if it starts off without a DE there will be a strong tendency to continue that way once the program has been defined.

The model has been refined over a number of years at the 48hrs, and has been very successful.
Old 03-07-2006 | 08:19 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

now If it were a 3 day event... hmmmm..........
Old 03-07-2006 | 11:29 PM
DanS911
Pro

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
So is the DE to be one shot deal this time?

If we wait a year...it might be the next year or never?

I'm not familiar with the 48 hours, but there are a lot of competent DE drivers who would like to go, but there is very little if any opportunity at Daytona.
As Dave said at this time there is no plan in place for a DE at the event
Old 03-08-2006 | 12:19 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

I'm not in favour of DE as the great majority or racers will be driving at Daytona for the first time. I for one want/need all the track time that I can get. On a monetary note.....races are not any less expensive to enter when a DE is included. We therefore get less value, as in fewer laps per dollar spent entering/travelling to an event.

Bill
Old 03-08-2006 | 09:58 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChristianOrlando
Tremendous energy on this issue and I also vote for DE. One argument I have heard is that with the number of racers and limited time, practice sessions would be rather short for a banked high speed track.

Christian in Orlando
Christian,

When did you move from Lake Mary to Orlando?

By the way I vote for a DE also.

John Sabatini
Old 03-08-2006 | 10:12 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Why would adding 3 DE sessions/day impact racer entrants? The number of entrants is normally limited by the lenght of track. (how many cars can be ontrack at the same time...)
Adding one DE group would mean there is one less race group. (or give race groups less track time)

As much as I would love a DE group at Daytona, I still think it is a bad idea. Daytona banking loads a tire far beyond any other race track. I expect everyone remembers the Indy F1 race, and Indy has nowhere near the speed or banking of Daytona.
The thought of a 3400 lbs twin turbo running 150+ through the banking on low profile 18" tires with -3 camber in the back is scary.

They would have to require all Club Racing safety equipment before even considering a DE group. And then you would have almost an entire run group getting a tech inspection comprehensive enough for them to get a PCA log book.

We have a lot of experience at Daytona and it is not a track to be taken as lightly as other circuits (like sebring.) We are urging PCA to impose additional safety regulations for the Race groups. I don't know if these will be required, but all of our guys will be.
-No first time racers
-Mandate HANS (or equivalent)
-Maximum rear camber to ensure proper alignment precautions were taken. (Supercup also does this at Indy)

Like Cory said, if you require race-eligible cars and race-eligible drivers, then those desparately wanting to go have plenty of time to get a license. If there's not time this year, you have at least two more chances.

It seems people are letting their desire to run Daytona get in the way of good judgement.

Last edited by Adam@Autometrics; 03-08-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2006 | 02:13 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Couldn't agree more with what Adam just said. Thats a track that can jump up and bite even a very experienced racer. Should not be taken lightly.

If you've got the experience and the car to run on the track, get your license and come out and race. Otherwise, do the smart thing and stay safe. Running on that track at speed with anything less than a full cage (and racing seat, and HANS device, etc) is pure insanity.
Old 03-11-2006 | 12:42 AM
racer914
Intermediate

Adam is right on the money and having run Daytona many times myself I can attest that it will bite you...sound like the voice of experience???...well it is. We are not planning a DE at this time and I will go one step further and tell you that there will also not be any first time rookie racers either. It is important that we get this program off on the right foot and let it evolve with folks at Daytona. There has been much effort into getting a race date...5+ years in the process... we will err on the side of caution. There will be plenty of track time over three days for the 4 race groups planned. I will continue to update you as we proceed through the planning phase.
Regards,

Dave Rodenroth
Co-Chairman Daytona PCA Club Race
Old 03-11-2006 | 12:56 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah the voice of "experience". Dave, you speak the truth. It will be a memorable event I can bet. I'm looking forward to being a part of it.
Old 03-13-2006 | 08:53 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Default my VERY LIMITED experence at Daytona

The thought of a 3400 lbs twin turbo running 150+ through the banking on low profile 18" tires with -3 camber in the back is scary.
I think speeds for above car will be more like 170 + exiting nascar #4
I think any street car suspention will be fully compressed by air/downforce.
Camber gain and shoulder heating with resulting failure of RR tires is a real concern with 911 type cars. I don't know about the newer multi-link but with trailing arm you must very carefull with setup RE camber gain.
at the time of Rennsport we ran Yokahamas and our standard setup was about
01 soft in front, 02 compound in rear and about -2.6 rear.
For Rensport @ Daytona
02 in front 03 LR and 04 hardest in RR and -0.5 camber in RR.
We checked shoulder temps after 3 laps (were fine) and then at end of 8-9 lap session and we were good around 185-95 degrees of temp pretty even. We had spring rubbers with us but did not need them.
I guy parked by us with a RSR did not change anything (-3.2) and blew RR on banking. Spun off and did not hit anything LUCKY he was not at exit to 4!!
I would not dream of pushing a car at daytona without a full cage, seat etc.
With my old 3.4 motor and tire sizes I was at 184MPH RPM limited at #4
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2006 | 02:58 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
-No first time racers
-Mandate HANS (or equivalent)
-Maximum rear camber to ensure proper alignment precautions were taken. (Supercup also does this at Indy)

Like Cory said, if you require race-eligible cars and race-eligible drivers, then those desparately wanting to go have plenty of time to get a license. If there's not time this year, you have at least two more chances.

It seems people are letting their desire to run Daytona get in the way of good judgement.

I have to agree with Adam. I have raced Daytona several times and have seen even the most seasoned driver get into trouble. Safety should be the race's #1 concern.

Although I can undersatnd there would be many applicants for a DE, the first priority is to have a successful event. Doing so, might help PCA be able to negotiate more opportunities to rent Daytona than the three they presently have. For everyone that wants a DE at Daytona, be vocal, but at the same time be patient.

Quick Reply: Daytona now on official PCA club race schedule