Sponsored by:

Daytona now on official PCA club race schedule

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, just an FYI along with my vote for DE,

the DE group at this years' 48hour was the safest run group in the event (fewest incidents per # of cars). It also sold out in 12 hours (maybe less).

Proper screening of entrants would ensure a higher margin.
We do that very carefully for the 48hrs. We could help, (does this sound like begging guys?).
Old 03-03-2006, 08:10 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck, even I'll throw my hat into the begging ring for a DE. And I'm a racer now too! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE??
Old 03-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
Dave, just an FYI along with my vote for DE,

the DE group at this years' 48hour was the safest run group in the event (fewest incidents per # of cars). It also sold out in 12 hours (maybe less).

Proper screening of entrants would ensure a higher margin.
We do that very carefully for the 48hrs. We could help, (does this sound like begging guys?).
Shhh Dan... You offering to help racers with their lap times will backfire in no time!

Oh wait, maybe you meant helping with track stuff etc..? Oh yeah, we're into that too!

Seriously,

as Dan points out, we'll help and with proper screening, there should be no reason it would not be succesful.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:11 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

You guys could always just take it up a notch and join the fray !!
Old 03-04-2006, 11:35 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

I've been telling the Flying Finn that he should be racing now for over 2 years. He's got the ability and definitely has the car!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:56 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 67 Posts

A problem I see with a DE group is the lack of safety equipment. BIG straight speeds with no roll bar, racing seat, harnesses ect.... does not sound very safe. Also, most DE guys aren't running around on the best tires/brakes or would be willing to spend the time and $$ on a Daytona suspension setup. If a DE car has all the mentioned equipment then they are most likely only some paper work away from being legal in a race class.

The huge number of racers trying to get in would also be limited by adding a DE group. I would think instead of adding the complication of a screening process to an already difficult job of organizing an event this big, it would be much easier to just limit it to race groups only. The event is far enough away that the DE guys that want to run can get their cars ready to race and get their licenses in order.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BluemaxxRacing
I've been telling the Flying Finn that he should be racing now for over 2 years. He's got the ability and definitely has the car!
No time, no money... yet...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:28 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Sucks for the wet sump cars...

hehe, the 996s seemed to do fine in the last grand am cup @ daytona. in fact, they won
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by karlooz
hehe, the 996s seemed to do fine in the last grand am cup @ daytona. in fact, they won
They did awesome as you said but those cars do have the oiling kit though.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:29 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time will tell but I think Daytona could be a very good track for the water pumpers in C. Gearing, weight and brakes really help the RSAs and RSCSs on tight courses but areo-dynamics, chassis and suspension should even things out on the big track. FWIW, the last 996 I saw loose an engine in club racing was Chris C's 2 1/2 years ago at Road America. I'm sure there have been others but they seem to be pretty reliable once you get all the little bugs worked out.
Jim
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I was right behind Naborski (sp?) when he lost his engine at Road Atlanta before the weekend even started. Poor guy didn't even make it through one turn that weekend.
At Daytona his car was pretty quick but I don't think it is a x-51. My car would stay with him right up until 120mph or so.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:53 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I was right behind Naborski (sp?) when he lost his engine at Road Atlanta before the weekend even started. Poor guy didn't even make it through one turn that weekend.
At Daytona his car was pretty quick but I don't think it is a x-51. My car would stay with him right up until 120mph or so.
As I recall, Nizborski's car is a 99 3.4L so it has a better torque curve than the 3.6L but is down a good 45 or 50 hp at higher RPMs. I'm sure a few have blown. There is no way the M96 is as strong as the dry sump cars but they aren't blowing with great frequency either.

It's been my experience that the RSAs and RSCSs are slightly faster than me up to 90 or 100 (gearing?), we're about even up to 130 or so and then I will pull them a little. I suppose at Daytona that would give a 996 an advantage until the 993TTs blow by.
Jim
Old 03-07-2006, 02:36 PM
us944
Advanced

Dave, if you decide to do a DE and need help with screening, let me know...we screened the DE entrants pretty well the last two years at the 48 Hour event. Also, look at the cars that were at our DE, not the usual stuff!
Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

You go Nick!!!

Get us a DE program!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
The huge number of racers trying to get in would also be limited by adding a DE group.

Why would adding 3 DE sessions/day impact racer entrants? The number of entrants is normally limited by the lenght of track. (how many cars can be ontrack at the same time...)

Did you mean more races or practice sessions would be run? That shoud not affect the total number of paid entrants. (would all the entrants pay an additional fee to run a new 'sprint' race....)

Yes saftey is a BIG issue, but if that can be overcome, a DE should net more money for the club.

I'd sure like to know what would be required to do a DE.... would a rollbar, batt kill switch, firebottle, and current belts (Race Tech) be sufficent?

how about previous track time at daytona?

OTOH, ISC is pretty strict on who can use their tracks.... maybe a 2007 DE is the better plan... once we've proven we can run an event... and get the invite back for '07....

Quick Reply: Daytona now on official PCA club race schedule